Help with controller

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Karbyde
Help with controller

I found a Curtis 1205-117 pretty cheap. Will this controller work for an Etek Motor 12-48 VDC? I wish to put this into a KX 125 (or similar) frame. It has been confusing searching for a controller. Can anyone recommend a list of good ones to use? I don't want to spend big $$ of courseEtek

Karbyde
Re: Help with controller

Motor specs are;

20 HP Peak, 8 HP continuous
Voltage........................50 VDC
Max Nonload Current.....6 AMP
Max Nonload Speed........3600 RPM
MIN Nonload Speed.........3300 RPM
Min Speed at 160 Lbln.....3200 RPM
Max Current at 160 Lbln...150 AMPS
Shaft Size .......................7/8" Dia. 2-1/4" long
Voltage Constant: 72 RPM per volt
Torque Constant: 1.14 in lbs/Amp
Continuous Current: 300 A 30 Sec.

Spaceangel

Sounds like you are on the right track. I have a number of Curtis and Curtis clones and when used on permanent magnet and series wound motors will work perfectly and for a long time. I made a Kawasaki KZ550 electric with a 2.5 HP series wound motor and the controller never got warm let alone hot. Every so often you see controller on eBay for way under $100.00 and make a good way to learn about Pulse Width Modulators or controllers. Test them using a light bulb and a 0-5 K pot or inductor if that is the type controller you have. Some use 5 volt input some use 5K - 0 ohms and other use 0 to 5K. Altrax controllers are RS-232 programmable.
Russell

KB1UKU

Karbyde

Thanks for the response. Are you saying I can use a series controller with this motor? I have a couple of Curtis 1203 controllers but they are too light of duty for this motor. I also have a Curtis 1207 for a wound-field motor.

Spaceangel

Thanks for the response. Are you saying I can use a series controller with this motor?

Yes
It doesn't matter if it is series wound, shunt wound or permanent magnet. A PWM is a sophisticated light dimmer.
The only difference is most PWM have recovery rectifiers in them for energy savings (free-wheeling). You can't do anything wrong trying it and using it. Fuses will keep motor and controller safe.

KB1UKU

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage