electric shock after charging

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
clagros
electric shock after charging

This happened to me a couple of days ago: After charging normally the VX overnight, I unplugged the cable after about 5 minutes.
I touched the blades of the VX plug by accident and I got a painful but short electric discharge. The day was not so dry and I was wearing rubber boots. Again: the VX was disconnected of the power and the electric shock happened when touching the plug.
Any similar experience?
Thanks
"Flash" Gordon

antiscab
Re: electric shock after charging

ive had this happen before aswell (with a different charger).
The shock could only have come from the input caps to the charger.
what confuses me though, is the input caps are either behind a rectifier bridge for models with no PF correction, or in the case of the vextrix, behind a 4-pack IGBT module.

its possible the charger computer was still powering two sides of the IGBT module, which is why current could still flow.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

marylandbob

Many circuits utilizing high power switching circuitry, such as the VECTRIX battery charger, have R.F. bypass capacitors across the A.C. input and to ground, to suppress and reduce radio interference. These small capacitors can hold enough energy to shock you, although ahealthy person should suffer no lasting harm. Adding lower value resistors across these capacitors would increase leakage current to the bike frame, as well as waste electricity when connected to the A.C. power source.-Best solution? Do not touch the plug prongs while operating OR immediately after unplugging!(this applies to other devices, as well.) The VECTRIX is somewhat noisy, as can be observed with an A.M. portable radio, by tuning it to a far away/weak station, then bringing it near an active VECTRIX. This noise/interference would be worse, without the capacitors and shielded power cable.-Bob

Robert M. Curry

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I've been shocked by a 230V AC to 12V DC converter for charging my RC Helicopter LiPos when I accidentally touched one of the pins that otherwise go to the plug in the wall, so it's not unusual or isolated to Vectrix.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage