vectrix/bmw lithium scooter

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jurba
vectrix/bmw lithium scooter

Hi,
have a look there http://www.marcelgreen.com/lire/transport/bmw-et-vectrix-imaginent-le-c1-e,808
this bmw scooter with a vectrix dashboard and rear wheel, a vectrix base I think
and it is lithium
regards
jean mi

PJD
PJD's picture
Re: vectrix/bmw lithium scooter

What an absurd design! It has a roll bar, 4 or 5-point seat belt, race-car-like seat, side, guards that would prevent the rider from leaning inward or outward - something I have to do all the time on my scooter on order to roll into or out of a turn quickly.

And unlike a car, I think a scooter or motorcycle rider is better off getting ejected from the bike in a crash (assuming the rider is wearing a helmet of course) - it's better than getting knocked down then run over.

jurba

I agree but I don't mind the roof, what I wanted to point out is that the vectrix base is used by bmw and that a lithium batt is in this ugly scooter, it means that some are interested in the vectrix work and that it could evolve in a lithium direction

vectrixhoper

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

theere is no two ways about it . IT is and looks like a vectrix throw and throw.
and its just bmw gigary pokery.kev

Wotnopetrol

What an absurd design! It has a roll bar, 4 or 5-point seat belt, race-car-like seat, side, guards that would prevent the rider from leaning inward or outward - something I have to do all the time on my scooter on order to roll into or out of a turn quickly.

And unlike a car, I think a scooter or motorcycle rider is better off getting ejected from the bike in a crash (assuming the rider is wearing a helmet of course) - it's better than getting knocked down then run over.

I have to say (politely and with respect) you have no idea of what you're saying. I have the ICE version of this bike, the BMW-C1.

Firstly it's not the kind of bike C1 riders normally throw around, (though it can be, quite well actually) but you can move your weight around if you need to.

Let me explain the concept to enlighten you:

It's design brief was to keep you dry, which it does, allow you to dress just in a suit, commute and still be safe, which it does, believe me, having been hit in the side by a lorry whose driver, fresh from Nigeria, had no licence, insurance, nor road tax!

In the 35 years of motorcycling it was the only accident (not that I've had many) where I got up and was ready to deck the guy for what he did, instead of being shocked, shaken and hurt as is more normal when involved in a m/c collision.

So assured are BMW of their design that in all but a few stuffy non-progressive EU countries (the UK for one) the need for a helmet is deemed unnecessary. There are plenty of online crash test videos of the C1 proving the concept.

The only person I have read about or has been reported on the C1 Forum who has died in one of these vehicles was a man in the north of England who rode without the seatbelts fastened,. He overrode the safety mech by connecting the seat belts behind himself to run the machine. In the head on collision he was thrown against the windscreen which caused his death. Darwin's first law I suppose.

I personally know a BMW technician on a test ride who also crashed head on with a car that was on the wrong side of the road. Even with a combined speed of 60mph and he survived. The massively strong C1 safety cell and crumple zones (yes, crumple zones!) doing their work to the letter. Even the handlebars are levered to pull out of the way in a collision.

I still ride mine plenty, it's heated grips and seat keeping me warm, the roof keeping me dry, the ABS braking silently waiting, the onboard radio keeping me informed of possible traffic problems, the massive load carrying capability seeing to all my usual needs, including trips to the airport with full sized suitcase and hand luggage.

It fills a gap, it's weird to ride and feels a bit top heavy at first and it's certainly not to everyone's taste, but you are quite mistaken in your assumptions. Oh, and it's an absolute hoot to ride, and gets plenty of attention, rather like the Vectrix actually!

Strange? Yep! Peculiar? Oh yes. An acquired taste? Definitely, but an absurd design on the grounds of safety? Nah, think again!

Simon

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I was very interested in the C1 when I first saw the photos. Back then I was not in to motorcycles and the thought never occurred to me that one day I would be riding an electric maxi-scooter. I hope the BMW/Vectrix combo goes on further, maybe to production and I'm glad they chose to use parts from the Vectrix.

Wotnopetrol

I hope the BMW/Vectrix combo goes on further, maybe to production and I'm glad they chose to use parts from the Vectrix.

Me too! A marriage made in heaven for me, as you can imagine.

Simon

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage