VECTRIX-Battery and Range

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
marylandbob
VECTRIX-Battery and Range

From the discharge graph provided on the "Gold Peak" battery web site, it becomes readily apparent that the present power reduction setting of the Vectrix software is premature! My Vectrix slows down when battery voltage drops below 125 volts, and according to the graph, this voltage is too high for effective utilization of the battery capacity. A much more effective voltage would be about 115 volts, and considerably improved range would be likely! Absent any software solutions, it may be possible to alter resistors in the voltage sensing circuit, to "fool" the existing software, and allow greater range. This will be investigated in the future, if a software fix cannot be arranged.--Bob C.

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: VECTRIX-Battery and Range

Or you can downgrade your software and risk polarity reversal with unbalanced cells.

I'm happy to sacrifice 5-10km of range for the longer battery life. Maybe you'll too, when your battery pack will last you only 4.000km ;-)

marylandbob

Original Vectrix software had a 108 volt cut back point, which was too low. They changed it, with the new software, to 125 volts, which is too high!--When this battery goes, I will change to LITHIUM!-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Mik
Mik's picture

It all depends on specific circumstances:

With a hypothetical, matched, balanced 102s NiMH string of equal cell temperatures, out of the sun, with 25degC cooling air tempperature, you can stretch the capacity much further than with any typical scenario.

That will work as long as the self-discharge rates are very similar and there is the occasional mild equalisation charge to smoothe SOC levels out.

In the real world, there is trouble!

I think Marylandbob might be right about the cutoff voltage being too high in the latest versions - but only if you have an exceptionally good battery pack in relatively mild climate.

But Vectrix Corpse has released this update into an environment where there are already many (if not most) batteries with damaged cells on the roads! In order to "protect" the batteries with existing damage so that they make it past certain dates, one would need to limit the cutoff voltage much more severely than for new batteries (if those were known to be good, which they might not be anyway).

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

X Vectrix

Not 125V. Its based on power output not voltage alone.

Mik
Mik's picture

Original Vectrix software had a 108 volt cut back point, which was too low. They changed it, with the new software, to 125 volts, which is too high!--When this battery goes, I will change to LITHIUM!-Bob

Bob might be aware of this, but for other readers more explanation might be needed:

The 108V was moren of a absolute minimum voltage; at that point, the scooter would stop moving. Cutback of maximim current draw happened at much higher voltages, gradually limiting the performance as voltage dropped.

But, this is only the "open" string voltage. The electronis seem to also interpret the voltage in light of the current draw. With the M-BMS I have seen voltages around 100V at the time when full acceleration at about 70km/h causes a current draw of several hundred amps. I think that also shows in the CANBUS logged data I have published (look it up if you like, I don't want that headache again!).

So the change to the "Cutoff voltage" in any particular firmware version is likly multi-dimensional. It's not just one number, it's at least a two dimensional curve (or function) rather than a number. Temperature might play into it as well, making it three-dimensional!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

sparker

I have the latest software and my voltage goes right down to about 117 before I grind to a total halt.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Mine will show 125V upon recharging if I get down to 0 bars. On the odd occasion, it has crept down to 123V if the red battery light comes on briefly. I've never had it down to where it won't go above a walking pace. At 125V (1 bar or less) I can still hit 80+ km/h but the acceleration and power is notability reduced

R
R's picture

My vectrix also cuts around 117v. Other vectrix in Barcelona Area also cuts around 117v

RaDy
RaDy's picture

yes, i just experienced it today, totally down,zero bars, voltage is 117-118 but as soon as i plug it in, to recharge, it then indicates 125V???

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage