Kelly KD72301 controller help.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Team Tersus
Kelly KD72301 controller help.
AttachmentSize
Image icon Kelly Wiring.JPG10.57 KB

Hi,

I am a student for the University of Houston, College of Technology. My team is currently building an electric motorcycle prototype using a Etek-rt motor, 5, 12v 100ah batteries, and a KD72301 controller capable of 72v and max current of 300amps (120 cont.). I have made a simplified wiring diagram from the kelly user manual. After wiring and double checking all connections, I attached a 24v power source. (12v, 7ah batteries). Nothing happened. I did not connect the motor, however. Does this make a difference or could it possibly be the power supply? Also should i use the contactor when testing at a lower voltage than its rated?

Kelly Wiring.JPG

Here is a basic diagram i drew up in Autocad. Its hard to see on the pic so i have attached a better pic.

Any help is appreciated, I will post pics of the project later this week.

Thanks
Team Tersus

hguido1
Re: Kelly KD72301 controller help.

Hi,

I am a student for the University of Houston, College of Technology. My team is currently building an electric motorcycle prototype using a Etek-rt motor, 5, 12v 100ah batteries, and a KD72301 controller capable of 72v and max current of 300amps (120 cont.). I have made a simplified wiring diagram from the kelly user manual. After wiring and double checking all connections, I attached a 24v power source. (12v, 7ah batteries). Nothing happened. I did not connect the motor, however. Does this make a difference or could it possibly be the power supply? Also should i use the contactor when testing at a lower voltage than its rated?

Kelly Wiring.JPG

Here is a basic diagram i drew up in Autocad. Its hard to see on the pic so i have attached a better pic.

Any help is appreciated, I will post pics of the project later this week.

Thanks
Team Tersus

If I understand you are saying the controller is not turning on correct? If that is the case it is because of the LVC circuit in the controller. It would have to have a certain amount of voltage to turn on. 24v isn't enough for a 72v controller.The LVC protects the controller when the batteries get to low. It probably need at least 60v to turn on. This is a guess on voltage since I am not familiar with that controller.

hguido1

I see that it does except 24v. Maybe you have to adjust the LVC for different voltages. I would test the hall and phase wires to see what voltage you have currently.

Team Tersus

Correct, I want to power on the controller to change the settings in the GUI, allowing me to use a second controller for regen.

I see that it does except 24v. Maybe you have to adjust the LVC for different voltages. I would test the hall and phase wires to see what voltage you have currently.

Tomorrow afternoon I will try and connect the power supply directly with a different contactor and then directly if need be. Im trying to locate a battery charger to get the rest of the 7ah batteries charged so I can test with higher voltages. I will post any problems.

Also, I will try on post some pics in another post.

Tersus

Team Tersus

Sorry I ment to say "...to add a second throttle.." not controller.

Team Tersus

Ok so I want to get the controller working but cant get the contactor to switch on using 12v 7ah batteries (2) in series. I then decided to try it without the contactor but the controller needs a 24v supply. Is there anyway around using a contactor with this model? Anyone?

hguido1

Contactor is just basically a electric switch. What voltage does it need to turn on? Why couldnt you just wire the 24v power supply directly to the controller? Maybe someone else knows the answer to that question. Charge all the batteries in parellel with one 12v charger. I wouldn't use a series charger because you won't get balanced voltage across all the batteries. I bet your contactor needs more voltage across the coil to turn on. What model is it?

kp647

Kelly kd72301 doesnt need a 24v pwr supply, it can run full pack voltage

I use mine with no contactor, full pack voltage to pwr terminal, (58.5v)

hguido1

There is the answer I hoped someone else would know. The community working together. :)

Team Tersus

Ok sorry for the late response and thanks for yours...I was able to get power to the controller using the 24v batteries and realized I need the converter for the KD model to talk to a computer. However I am getting an error of (2,1) which is "Throttle Fault" or error. I am using 2 Longma throttles- red= +5v(5v Out) blue= signal(TPS2 AN) black= ground. I have tried hooking up the trottle before and after adding the load. Still the same error. The manual says the controller takes TPS2 AN as the main throttle if no throttle is connected to TPS. I am also getting 4.98v from +5v Out. Do i need to configure something in the software? Do I need to connect the motor? or is this a throttle problem? If so how can I test if they are broken?

Kelly kd72301 doesnt need a 24v pwr supply, it can run full pack voltage

I use mine with no contactor, full pack voltage to pwr terminal, (58.5v)

Good to know, I didnt see that in the manual. I plan to use a kill switch instead of the contactor. Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage