WTB: Replacement battery cells

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Magendanz
Magendanz's picture
WTB: Replacement battery cells

Is there anyone out there with a damaged battery pack that might have some cells worth scavanging?

I've got to replace a damaged cell and would pay handsomely for a used one, considering that new ones don't seem to be available. In fact, I'd like to purchase an entire module, just so I'm prepared next time a cell goes bad.

I'm starting this as a new topic, just so others in my situation can appeal to those with spare cells. Please PM to negotiate price and terms.

R
R's picture
Re: WTB: Replacement battery cells

Mmm just an idea:
Well, the last produced vectrix that reached catalunya was from January 2009. That was long ago. As the dealers don't know how to maintain their bikes, because vectrix didn't tell them how to do that easy task, some vectrix haven't received any charge at all for months or years. Now their batteries might be under 85 volts and do not start recharge. These batteries might be partially damaged and with reduced capacity, however some cells may be OK. Try to do some little research maybe you can buy an entirely new battery-died vectrix for replacements at nice price...

Mik
Mik's picture

Mmm just an idea:
Well, the last produced vectrix that reached catalunya was from January 2009. That was long ago. As the dealers don't know how to maintain their bikes, because vectrix didn't tell them how to do that easy task, some vectrix haven't received any charge at all for months or years. Now their batteries might be under 85 volts and do not start recharge. These batteries might be partially damaged and with reduced capacity, however some cells may be OK. Try to do some little research maybe you can buy an entirely new battery-died vectrix for replacements at nice price...

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for, too! Preferably one with a quiet gearbox!

And I'm also waiting for my new CBA III battery analyser. Once it's here I'll be able to assess and re-condition batteries again.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Unless you're planning to do quite a bit of work on these machines (like Mik or a dealer), I don't know that it makes good financial sense to purchase a new bike just for parts. If I were to buy another bike in new condition, I'd want it to be functional.

However, if I had some replacement cells (from a wreck or OEM battery pack replacement, for example), I'd consider buying one of those discharged bikes, renovate the battery, and sell it as a fully functional bike. In this situation, you could at least be fairly confident in recovering your initial investment.

gilnetwisc

What type batts does it use?I have limn Konion,lipo prismatic.If it uses nickel,packs from wrecked ev/hybrids can be bought 2-500$ through salvage yds.network.e-c.com has people selling every imaginable batt,as well as many otherLith have 10yr shelf life,I've zapped 6-7yr old niks they last forever.vehicle dealers many times don't understand batt tech and treat them like sla's.thinking they need to be replaced. you can bring back many "dead cells" thru various methods if you want to spend the time.lots of tricks by frugal,broke ebikers(me).

gilnet

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

There are lots of photos and some technical specs on the battery in the Vectrix Collaborative Handbook, especially in this thread. Basically, there are 102 1.3V NiMH cells, divided into 12 modules (2 rows x 3 layers x 2 packs).

While not an exact match, the closest I've found to replacement modules are these 10-cell modules from Gold Peak (model 10GP30EVH). However, I haven't yet found a US distributer willing to sell me a single module.

HarryS

Check out this website
http://www.pluginconversions.com/index.html
They offer a plugin Prius conversion using the GoldPeak batteries. May be they are willing to resell some of them in smaller quantities or even build us a replacement pack for the Vectrix. Anyone how lives near them want to give them a shout?

Mik
Mik's picture

Check out this website
http://www.pluginconversions.com/index.html
They offer a plugin Prius conversion using the GoldPeak batteries. May be they are willing to resell some of them in smaller quantities or even build us a replacement pack for the Vectrix. Anyone how lives near them want to give them a shout?

It sounds more like Gold Peak uses them:

Plug-In Conversions Corporation is pleased to announce that we are an Associate company of Gold Peak North America and the newest member of the Gold Peak family. Gold Peak is the world's leading battery manufacturer and one of the largest producers of batteries in the world. With our new strategic partner and their superior battery technology we have increased the range and mileage while greatly reducing the cost to the consumer. Gold Peak has acquired an equity stake in Plug-In Conversions Corporation and has committed their vast resources to ensure Plug-In Conversions Corporation is the leader in PHEV conversions.

That means (IIANM) that Gold Peak will provide big, complete aggregate battery units. No single 30Ah cells for the Vectrix footsoldiers....

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

I've actually been in contact this week with an account manager from Gold Peak International North America trying to arrange a bulk purchase of 10-cell 10GP30EVH modules through a local EV component distributor owned by another member of this board (who also has a Vectrix sitting in his garage with a damanged battery). When we a get a better quote on the minimum quantity and cost per module, I'll start a thread with more details here.

Mik
Mik's picture

I've actually been in contact this week with an account manager from Gold Peak International North America trying to arrange a bulk purchase of 10-cell 10GP30EVH modules through a local EV component distributor owned by another member of this board (who also has a Vectrix sitting in his garage with a damanged battery). When we a get a better quote on the minimum quantity and cost per module, I'll start a thread with more details here.

What is the current quote?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage