OBD-II and Canbus reader

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
israndy
israndy's picture
OBD-II and Canbus reader

I see http://www.obdkey.com/wifi mentions that it is Can Bus compatible. How do I know if it will work with the Vectrix? It seems to have an ODB plug on it not the serial port looking plug that the bike has. I would love to kill two birds with one x-mas present by getting the OBD for the rest of the family cars AND Can Bus for running that cool pirate software on a PC that the Vectrix mechanics would run if there were any more Vectrix mechanics...

DaveAK
Re: OBD-II and Canbus reader

I'm by no means an expert on this, and so someone correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that CAN bus is the underlying technology for communication between devices, but OBD-II is an industry standard protocol that is transported by the CAN bus. The Vectrix protocol is proprietry and so an OBD-II device won't be able to read the codes supplied.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I have the Bluetooth version of this that I have used on my car before (with the aid of a netbook).

Not thought of trying it with the Vectrix. Don't even know where the diagnostic socket is!

X Vectrix

DaveAK is correct. This will not interface to the Vectrix. You will need the Grid Connect USB to CAN interface.

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Yeah, you need a PCAN interface, not ODB-II. The Vectix diagnostic software is designed to use this PEAK PCAN-USB interface (model IPEH-002021). I was able to find a rebranded one from Grid Connect for $265USD. They also now have a "Light" version available for $99USD, but I haven't verified that this works with the Vectrix software and drivers.

X Vectrix

The light version doesnt work, unfortunately.

Mik
Mik's picture

Deleted

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

neopav

Hi Israndy,

sorry that I am not able to answer to your question (in fact, I only own the standard GRID Connect CAN BUS adapter, which obviously works flawlessy), but I am really curious about... which is that particular, unofficial Vectrix software that you are talking about ?!?!?
I have never heard about a non-Vectrix system software!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage