Mileage per charge in cold season

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
fost5097
Mileage per charge in cold season

Has anyone noticed any difference in the battery life in cooler weather? We have not had any extreme cold but some days n the 40s and a few in the 30s. Since the season change I am getting about half the mileage per charge I was getting in warmer weather. I have not noticed any loss of power except at the end of he charge I have about half of the bars left and showing 15 or more miles left in the charge then it all drops to nothing. I wonder if this is a concern?

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture
Re: Mileage per charge in cold season

Yes, I've definitely noticed this effect. During the summer I'd regularly drive the 25 miles to work during the afternoon and finish with about 6-7 bars. After a full charge at work I'd return in the evening when it was about 30F cooler and finish on the red battery warning with no bars remaining. Admittedly, there's about a 800ft altitude gain riding home, but I don't think that comes close to accounting for the difference. When I returned home before it cooled down I'd always have at least 3-4 bars remaining.

fost5097

Sounds like it may be temp related. I've called the dealership and they are checking onto it.

X Vectrix

When the batteries are cold they cannot hold the voltage as well. That is, they cant provide the usual amount of current w/o the voltage sagging. So you hit the cutoff power level alot sooner.

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

So is the problem that in low temperatures the charge is cut short or that the subsequent discharge is cut short? If the charge is cut short, charging in a heated garage at work might allow me to make it home on cold evenings without the battery light. If the discharge is cut short, it seems we might be able to reduce battery cooling airflow to extend range.

X Vectrix

I guess you'd have to say its a bit of both. When cold (sub 55-60 F) you just wont get the same amount of current out or charge in. If you went slower (lower current draw) you could probably extend your range before the bat light came on because the voltage wouldnt sag as much and you wouldnt hit the low power threshhold (and because youre drawing less current obviously). But since the bats cant deliver as much instantaneous current, the voltage will sag under heavier loads. For example, when the bats are 70 F and you draw 40A the voltage might sag 5 or 6 volts, however if they are 50 deg F they might sag 10 or 11 volts at 40A. Then on the other side, when you go to charge them when they are cold, you may pump 30 Ahrs thru them but the efficiency is lower so you dont get a full charge, even tho the gauge may say full.

In the heated garage, set the delay as long as you can so the bats can warm up before charging. Then they will be nice and toasty for the ride home. You could close off the ducts but the bats are pretty massive so should be fine for the ride home. Try it and let us know which way works better.

jurba

Temperature has recently gone from 14° to 5° in the morning , I've noticed that I arrive @ the office with a bar less then usualy on 32km trip (half bars plus one instead of half bars plus 2)

vectrixhoper

Mik
Mik's picture

You could also close the air intakes during charging, but should monitor it at least once.

A piece of paper gets sucked against the metal grille and will just fall off after the impellers are turned off.

But you need to close the holes in the frame (the ones which let water get to the temp sensor board), otherwise it sucks air in through them.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

RaDy
RaDy's picture

If you close those holes, wont it be hsrder for the impellers to get fresh air inside the battery compartment? Is it really a necesity to close them or only for wet climates? i havent closed them for the moment, what do you suggest?
Thanks

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage