Brand new xm3500li with problems

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
whitewolfofsc
whitewolfofsc's picture
Brand new xm3500li with problems

Hello to all on the forum! I just got an xm3500li delivered yesterday. I got the bike uncrated, and found the breaker and turned it on. I put it on charge, and after about 3 hours, it shut off. I tried the bike out and it would not run at all, despite the lights and horn all working. My friend found a connector that had a matching plug near it. He hooked it up and the wheel will turn, but groaning and stuttering. It never gets any speed going. It does not have enough power to pull the bike, but will only jiggle the bike around when i give it throttle. I noticed there are 2 identical plugs coming from the hubmotor, black body to the plug, with a white surface where the 4 thin wires come in, and yellow rubber gasket around it. It looks like the throttle connection? I opened a repair ticket with xtreme, and the reply came back to try the other plug. I have already done this, so I restated that in my reply back to them. Let's see what comes back next. I notice that if the hub stops in a certain part, it will not turn again until you rotate it past that "dead spot". Then it will turn feebly. I have a video that shows the problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLytyTeLDUs

What do you guys think?

robert93
robert93's picture
Re: Brand new xm3500li with problems

beg them for a wiring diagram, if you have a plug loose, and the motor not running, from my reading on these forums, these motors are multi-phased motors, one phase unplugged, the motor goes crappy, all phases going, the thing runs great. This is just a guess, and never had my hands on a 3500, so I defer to the others here who know best....

Mik
Mik's picture

I like your video! (But I don't think I'd like to live at your place.... ;-) )

Kind of the opposit of "soandso's garage" - you get to the point and it never gets boring! A cheap multimeter, but a good description of the symptoms!

I think - and might be totally wrong because I have never seen XM in the flesh - that you have a dead Hall-effect sensor in the motor.

But it could just be a loose connector, the people with an XM will hopefully tell you.

Check out this thread: http://visforvoltage.org/blog/bh3rd/8218 and see if you can get him to give you detailed descriptions of where the different connectors are plugged in. He might have the same scooter as you, and it's working.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mick46

I read your youtube post. Any luck getting this working? If not,
I would speak with the company that sent it to you asap......
I would second the notion of a multimeter/wiring diagram.
Good luck.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi,

Mik is right - it's either a bad Hall Sensor --or-- there's a mismatch between the Hall Sensor wiring coming from the bike and going to the motor.

I think the current XM-3500 has two sets of Hall Sensors - one as a backup should the others go bad. That's why the guy told you to try the other plug.

Seeing as that didn't work - check the color of the wires coming in from the motor - should be yellow, blue, green, red and black. Red and Black are +5V and GND. Yellow, Blue & Green are the Hall sensors for the three phases. Check that the colors of the thin wires coming in from the motor are matched to the colors of the thin wires going out to the controller. i.e. red to red, black to black, yellow to yellow, blue to blue, green to green.

If they are then you can try swapping the blue, yellow and green thin wires into other combinations (this would imply that the wiring in the motor or the controller is somehow swapped - and we've seen motors where that's happened).

If still no luck then test your Hall Sensors - connect the plug and switch on the bike. Put the multimeter probes on the yellow and black connections (often the best way to do this is to push the probe down the back of the plug where the wires enter). Spin the motor by hand very slowly. You should see the voltmeter read +5V at some point. Repeat for the blue and green wires. Are any of those not creating a reading? If one set is bad, plug in the other set and try again.

Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you want more info.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

whitewolfofsc
whitewolfofsc's picture

It lives! The little beast is running... It turned out to be the little yellow wire pulled out of the connector for the hall sensors. I documented the process as best as I could on video. Here are the links to todays repairs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doGy5SMW6JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTOS7-4aJtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43jfpHB0pw

The bike pulls like an electric rocket! It has more pull and speed than my Kymco people s50 with the rerstrictions removed. I am updating the folks at xtreme how it is doing, and that all I need is a set of those electrical connectors so that I can put them on and have the repair be done properly. Then I can close up the covers, and the bike can look nice. In the meantime, I can still ride, and I plan on devoting tomorrow to that activity :) Thank you for all your help, and for following the drama on this thread.

One love, one heart, light up the darkness!
White Wolf of South Carolina

robert93
robert93's picture

Hey Great! At least it was something simple, hidden, but simple. Now ya can get on to fixing the Motofino. If i'd have known of Motofino, I'd have probably bought from them myself. (just kidding, enjoy that XM for a while :-) )

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage