Rear wheel grumble

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wotnopetrol
Rear wheel grumble

Has anyone experienced a rear wheel grumble with slight vibrations when cornering?

I'm suspecting wheel bearings as it's worse when two people are on it, and it only manifests itself when leaning over in a corner. The gear and transmission have always been quiet, what I mean is there is no whine as reported by some owners,but that rumble is getting bad.

moccasin
moccasin's picture
Re: Rear wheel grumble

Sounds like new tire time. A lot of bikes will roar in the corners when the tire gets into it's last third of tire wear. Changing air pressure may change the sound, or even temporarily eliminate it, but regardless, if your tire is half worn or more, that would be my first suspect. The additional weight of a passenger drives those irregularly worn treads harder into the pavement and transfer the noise better through the tighter compressed suspension.

Front tire cupping is a major source of cornering noise, but as the back tire wears itself flat in the middle, it too can present a tune or two when you lean it up onto the deeper tread.

Wotnopetrol

I never gave it a thought that it could be the tyre. Thanks for that, It will be nice if that's all the problem is.

Simon

Mik
Mik's picture

I had the same problem, a new tire fixed it.

But I thought the rumbling was due to a kinked load on the bearings caused by the tire.

But if other bikes, with good and uncomplicated wheel bearings instead of a planetary gear box, get the same effect from a worn tire, then I guess it's really just the tire / road interaction.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage