Vectrix To Relaunch At 2010 International Powersports Dealer Expo

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Vectrix To Relaunch At 2010 International Powersports Dealer Expo

I had heard about this last week but now there's a press release which @plugbike (aka @skadamo) has posted on his blog

http://plugbike.com/2010/02/08/vectrix-to-relaunch-at-2010-international-powersports-dealer-expo/

Vectrix Corporation, a newly formed Delaware corporation, and Vectrix International, will relaunch the Vectrix brand and its advanced electric vehicle technology products into the worldwide market on February 12 – 15 at the International Powersports Dealer Expo in Indianapolis, Indiana.

In gearing up for the relaunch, the Vectrix Corporation has opened its new US Head Quarters and development center in New Bedford, Mass. With it’s patented technologies developed over the last decade, Vectrix will continue to design and develop innovative technology solutions in New Bedford, Mass. with original key members of its product development team. “The core focus of the Vectrix Corporation design team is to remain on the cutting edge of innovative technologies that revolutionize urban transportation.”, explained Chief Operating Officer Jason Kim.

The International Powersports Dealer Expo will give Vectrix Corporation an opportunity to reassure its loyal customer base that it intends to grow in the market place as one of the leading personal electric vehicle Original Equipment Manufactures. Vectrix has begun to ship spare parts and finished products to its customers and is excited about the growth potential in the coming months. The Vectrix product lines are an ideal solution for the worldwide urban transportation market’s need for clean, efficient and cost effective transportation alternatives. Vectrix will be expanding beyond its traditional markets into other vertical professional markets, while continuing to service its loyal customers through dealer channels.

Key Features of the Vectrix Scooter:
• Zero carbon emissions during operation
• Range of 35–55 miles (depending on speed, rider weight, and driving habits)
• Top speed of 68 mph
• Acceleration 0-50 mph in 6.8 seconds / 0-31 mph in 3.6 seconds
• As responsive as a 400cc scooter but with a 125cc classification, making the bike accessible to anyone with a provisional license who has completed CBT training.
• Patented Multi-Function Throttle provides regenerative braking and a slow-speed reverse for greater maneuverability and easy parking
• The onboard charger recharges the scooter in just over three hours from a standard 110/220V (3 pin) power socket.
• Low noise for reduced sound pollution
• Estimated battery life of 10 years/50,000 miles

About Vectrix
Vectrix (www.vectrix.com) was reformed in 2010 to develop and commercialize zero-emission vehicle platform technologies focused on two and three wheel applications. The single focus of Vectrix has been to provide clean, efficient, reliable and affordable urban transportation. Vectrix has its US headquarters in New Bedford, Mass. which include engineering, test facilities, sales offices and a multiproduct vehicle assembly line.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Vectrix To Relaunch At 2010 International Powersports ...

The same source which told me last week about their appearance in Indianapolis also said that Vectrix has on-hand over a thousand "VX-1 kits" ready to assemble. I am assuming these are unassembled scooters. If true they'd be able to quickly supply some bikes and could provide a reason for the EE job posting I saw last week. The EE would be needed to go over the bikes and verify they're in good working order.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I was in contact with a dealer in my country, who already imports E-max scooters and I got him interested in importing Vectrixs. He told me he contacted them, he talked to the Poland HQ and he said that they had excellent attitude towards him.

I think Vectrix has a bright future ahead.

rewski

Just checked the Trade Show website and it listed them in Booth 2301! Anyone in the Indy area able to go and give us a report?

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Just checked the Trade Show website and it listed them in Booth 2301! Anyone in the Indy area able to go and give us a report?

I'm going to Indy. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday (it runs Friday through Monday). I'll take my camera and snap some pics for your viewing pleasure. I'll also ask about LiFePO4 expected availability.

Anything else I should ask?

p.s. anyone else who's there and would like to contact me then drop me a line via our website (in my signature block). We aren't exhibiting but we may have a bike with us viewable at a local hotel.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Also ask them about LiFePO4 specs and whether they will, with LiFePo4 installation, increase maximum speed, via software update.

michaelt

You could suggest that they update their website with some meaningful information......

snail

It would be nice to know if they plan to reward us dedicated early adopters and evangelists by offering us the opportunity to upgrade our V's with LiFePO4, better BMS, etc, when the VX1 finally sees some development. Obviously there'll be some cost, but the rest of the bike is carved from granite and has plenty of life in it (mine is now nearly three years old and as good as the day it rolled off the delivery van...)

Brian

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Top speed of 68 mph

Since when? The Vectrix has always been restricted to 62mph (100km/h).

winged_racer

Top speed of 68 mph

Since when? The Vectrix has always been restricted to 62mph (100km/h).

Vectrix had a VIP kit ready for launch when the poop hit the fan. It was (is?) a software upgrade doing several things but primarily raising the limited speed to 68mph (110km/h). It was to be available to all Vectrix owners for a fee (not sure how much!) and would be sent to the owner to install, a one time use flash card and cable. That's all I know about it.

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Vectrix had a VIP kit ready for launch when the poop hit the fan. It was (is?) a software upgrade doing several things but primarily raising the limited speed to 68mph (110km/h). It was to be available to all Vectrix owners for a fee (not sure how much!) and would be sent to the owner to install, a one time use flash card and cable. That's all I know about it.

Interesting, I would love that extra speed for the motorway, to overtake trucks and as reserve speed!
That would be a good question to ask at the show, whether they are planning to release this update!

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

antiscab

or even if the speed limit can be increased by even more (for those of us with better batteries on the way).

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

turok
turok's picture

interesting news!
I like upgrades, especially VIP kits :)

excellent!

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I was at Indy on Friday - and the part of the show with Vectrix in it didn't open until Saturday :-(

However, Erik (CuMoCo's chief engineer) to the rescue. He visited the New Vectrix stand on Saturday.

1) Lithium is a little while out yet. Couldn't get a definitive answer, but it sounds like 2011 not 2010. I don't know what the timing is tied to.
2) Engineers at Vectrix say that retro-fit of the pack is possible but a "big job". That makes sense when you see how the batteries are packaged in the VX-1. Didn't get a price on that, or if they'll even officially offer it. But I think we can safely translate "big job" as "expensive".
3) There is indeed an upgrade to the software for a higher top speed. We're supposed to be getting it sent to us so that we can upgrade our own Vectrix. We'll report back on what we find out. Not sure if this is a one-off courtesy to us as a show attendee or if it's available to anyone who asks. Once we get our hands on it and have tried it out we'll clarify the general availability.

As far as US sales go: It was a fairly modest display compared to last years presence - and that makes sense. I believe the new sales team is expecting to focus more on fleets and less on retail. However, to get fleet sales there often has to be a retail presence to satisfy certain institutional buyers requirements. It's early days for the new team (and it is a new sales team vs. original sales team) - but they're back and they plan to be able to restore their position as the dominant player in the market.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Thanx for the report!

retrodog
retrodog's picture

Nice to come back here and see something positive going on with the Vectrix, for a change. Still loving mine. Thanks for the post.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Glad to hear the good news - strange that even after the Powersports show Vectrix still haven't updated their website.
Hopefully they'll update the website soon - or at least add the most recent press release.

israndy
israndy's picture

Wonder if there is anyone that knows the password to the web server still on staff... :)

-Randy

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Wonder if there is anyone that knows the password to the web server still on staff... :)

-Randy

LOL! Yeah, I can see them scratching their heads right now... "But I thought you had it?" "No, you said you'd get it!" etc...

RaDy
RaDy's picture

JDH, thanks for the info,

Volty
Volty's picture

Hey, first post, but I thought that you guys might want to read my blog entry on the return of Vectrix. I spent some time with Jason and Brian, and I think that they are the guys to bring it back.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3223-Detroit-Scooter-Examiner~y2010m2d22-Dealer-Expo-2010--the-return-of-Vectrix

Ron Arnold
Detroit Scooter Examiner
LearnCom LLC
Rovers SC

Drew
Drew's picture

Hi Doug!

Now that really is interesting news... just what we were after, well nearly! I'd soon prefer 75mph! That makes overtaking at 70mph a true possibility.

Best wishes and hope you're well,

Drew

Drew

Aircon
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

How'd he achieve this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yPMDq6YSdM

I think it's a bug in the speedo software - not increased speed. See the comment by the poster of the video.

MAbike

This is insane because the software upgrade was ready last year before the company went under. Actually- the sales force and then dealers were notified of the upgrade. I guess it was then not released??? to wait out for this? It is a quick fix that could have been implemented months ago

How many dealers are actually remaining? Also- whats thge actual BOM? And how much us it selling for and where is the business proposition again?

Sorry I could not resist!

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Bring on the software upgrade any time! I'd welcome an increase in speed with open arms.

Makes you wonder, if range wasn't an issue, just how fast the Vectrix could actually go (and how quickly the fuel gauge would disappear).

AndY1
AndY1's picture

What about battery health? At 100km/h, there's a 3C (90A) draw of power. Wouldn't that decrease life of a battery even faster?

Is there any information how much can this NiMH battery pack give sustained draw? I know, that peak is at 300+A, but how much is a max. sustained power draw?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage