Freezing Batteries

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Buzzer
Buzzer's picture
Freezing Batteries

Many people have mentioned the possibility of the lead acid batteries freezing on these bikes if the weather gets too cold. Why would the batteries freeze on my XB-600 if the batteries don't freeze in my cars, which I keep outside in below zero temperatures? Or is this a myth along the lines of saying that people shouldn't jog in cold weather because their lungs will freeze (not true), or people in hot climates shouldn't drink cold beverages because it makes their bodies warm up (also not true)? Explain, please.

antiscab
Re: Freezing Batteries

depends how cold "cold" is.

flooded lead acid batteries have electrolyte that has a rather low freezing point (below the 0 deg C for straight water)
the electrolyte also has significant thermal mass

AGM batteries on the other hand don't have nearly as much eletrolyte, so the thermal mass is much lower.

thermally, a liquid is far better at evening out temperature than a solid as:
liquids have both conduction and convection, while solids only move heat via conduction.

this means "cold" spots can develop.

the other disadvantage to cold batteries is their internal resistance is *way* up.
so charging is really slow, and you have little power on discharge.

as for will it damage? it depends on just how cold it gets, and for how long.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

strawhistle

Hi, On this subject , I am interested in freezing my LiFePO4 battery's I don't get the -c number ? Does anyone know the low end temp.F of lifepo4 cells ? It gets to -20-25F below outside in the garage for a day or so in the winter thank you for all advice LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

marylandbob

Although performance will decrease, a fully CHARGED lead-acid battery of any type, is NOT likely to freeze, unless exposed to temperatures colder than -35 degrees F. --A discharged lead-acid battery is a different story, however, and may freeze at +25 degrees ABOVE zero F.--Do NOT leave dead lead-acid batteries out in the cold, unless you wish to replace them!--Lithium, Ni-Mh, and Ni-cad batteries are fairly immune to damage above -40 degrees, F or C., but CHARGING these batteries is not advised at such cold temperatures, and lithium based batteries should always be charged at warmer temperatures, above +32 degrees F, or zero degrees C.--Discharge is OK at cold temperatures, but performance will suffer somewhat. (lead-acid batteries that have been/are frozen have, on occasion, exploded when charging was attempted, so be careful!--Freezing can internally crack plates and electrical connections, setting the scene for an internal spark!--Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

Deputydaves
Deputydaves's picture

Ya know, living in a cold area too I pull my batteries ( lithium ions ) twice every day and bring them in side with my. Once leaving for work, then out and back in at work and then pull them out to bring inside once more at the end of each day. BIG PAIN IN THE A&@ ! Hey I think it's best for the batteries to stress them temperature wise as little as possible. My (6month old) 700Li's batteries charge in 5.75 hours. That's 15 min faster then when I first charged in cold weather before I started bringing them in with me. Not much but there's a differance.
Thats my two cents any way .
Check out my other mod posts.
Dave

Dave C. Stout
STOUT PRODUCTIONS
Low Carbon Products

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet