Battery charger setup

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
david93705
Battery charger setup

I am a beginner in setting up my own battery bag and charger to add on more distance and time to my current ebike and use it as a backup.
I set up the batteries properly and added a 3 prong adapter to connect to charger.
I was ready to test the charger and battery to see if it worked but as soon as I connected the three prong charger to the battery without connecting the wall outlet the lights were on the charger.

That is not correct I told myself for some reason I did something wrong, my first thought is do I need a controller? I have seen plenty of ebikes around with battery and chargers and no controllers.
The second possible mistake is that when I connected the three prong adapter I didn't go directly to the tabs but connected to the wires directly.

One or both could be my mistake and I'm here to get advice as to which it might be.

Thanks in advance.

PS: My batteries are SLA not lithium. and its a 36v setup with a 36v charger 1.8amp

antiscab
Re: Battery charger setup

the lights on the charger are probably powered by the battery side, rather than the AC side.

likely, you have already wired it correctly.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

sbc
Re: Battery charger setup

The LED on the charger draws the current from the battery even when the scooter battery charger is not plugged into the wall outlet. It tells us that we should not leave the charger on the scooter when not charging the battery to prevent the battery from being drained out unintentionally.

Another thing, the charging current should not be higher than 1/4 of the discharging current to prolong the battery life time. If for example, your SLA battery is 36V8Ah in capacity, the charging current should not exceed 4A.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage