All very quiet here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
AndY1
AndY1's picture
All very quiet here

Does it mean, that we have no problems and we happily ride our bikes?

I've just past 6300km mark today, done 90km on a beautiful Sunday. Nothing else to report.

sangesf
Re: All very quiet here

Well for me , yesterday I broke my 3000th mile (5000km) and did a wonderful ride from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale to Boca Raton and then back to West Palm (85 miles/140km)

The weather was 80^f (don't know what that is in celcius)

marylandbob

For your 85 mile trip, what was your average speed, and how many miles per charge did you get? How many chargings were needed?-Bob

Robert M. Curry

AndY1
AndY1's picture

My 90km trip consumed 18 battery bars, with the speed between 50-65km/h. That averages at 5km/battery bar. I did 2 partial recharges at my mom and my dad, whom I visited and I recharged while I was with them. I wouldn't need to, but I had the chance to recharge and I did.

In the end I went to coffee with my friends from my youth and snapped a photo:
//www.shrani.si/t/M/fY/1ruwsvNP/28032010210.jpg)

sparker

I thought the same thing - must be a good sign. However I did have one small hiccup - I had about half the battery bars left after riding home last Friday, didn't ride at all on Saturday and thought to check the tyre pressures and do a top up charge Sunday. I moved the bike on the drive no probs, did the tyres and then moved it back to it's usual place for charging. Upon plugging in though, I had Batt and Temp tell tales flashing at me with a reported temp of 21. I thought this was a bit odd as the temp was only probably about 11 AND I hadn't ridden OR charged for a day and a half - also 21 isn't that high (I know it's the default on startup). After unplugging and plugging in a couple of times it started charging although the tell tales did flash up occasionally throughout the charge until the end. Upon the advice of Steve Scott I ran the bike down to the red and re-charged. Pleased to report that range was as expected and the charge went without issue. We're both putting it down to the fact that we had heavy rain on the Friday, followed by sun, probably causing condensation on one of the boards. I'll get Steve to have a look at my next service interval in May/June.

Other than that, my bike is running extremely well. My only maintenance being the occasional wash and run down to the red (oh and re-crimping of the connectors to the rear brake lever). I'm currently at just under 6,600 miles and enjoying the rising petrol prices very much! The more it goes up, the quicker my investment in the V is recouped.

Mik
Mik's picture

The Vectux was re-awakened after a 3.5 months summer break. It had been fully charged and equalised before the break. The display dropped from 17/17th to 9/17 or so, but the weakest cells was actually so empty it was reversing by just turning the scooter on!

A normal charge did of course not bring it to full, but Freddy sorted that out.

A single commute to work and back went well.

Now I have two 9-cell modules of AZVectix' finest cells ready to replace the bad cell in the battery. The Vectux battery is again fully equalised (at 1.5A with ABCool running and continuing for 8hrs after charge completion) and I will let it self-discharge for about two weeks. Then, I will open the battery cover and discharge the battery while monitoring with my PoScope monitor. I know which cell will reverse first, this is just to prove the principle that I can detect a single reversing cell in a Vectrix battery that way. Let's hope this works!
Then, I'll remove the two modules with the bad cells and continue to discharge the remaining 84s battery until I find the new weakest module. I will not be able to measure which cell is the weakest, but I will know which module it is located in. I can then monitor that module whenever I am riding close to the edge of the battery capacity.

I figure that the combination of full SOC at start of the test, self-discharge for 2 weeks, motor controller drain for 2 weeks, and possibly reduced capacity of some cells will give me a good overall test of real-world performance of the battery. Except for temperature gradients due to sun heating, but that will get sorted by heat reflective paint soon.

The two refurbished modules are also self-discharging away, albeit without the motor controller drain.

Unfortunately, my CBAIII is broken - hopefully I will have a replacement unit here before long to allow comparative capacity testing. It would be good to know how many Ah of capacity difference the weakest module is behind the others.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

sangesf

For your 85 mile trip, what was your average speed, and how many miles per charge did you get? How many chargings were needed?-Bob

Actually, I didn't know I was on the Vetrix forum... I just clicked on "Active Forum Topics"

I ride my own creation of a dual motor setup electric bicycle so my results are no where even close to what anyone elses are.

It was all on one charge.

I averaged approx 19 mph / 31kph on the first leg of the trip, 18 mph / 30 kph on the second leg and 16 mph / 26.6 kph on the last leg.

Drew
Drew's picture

It is quiet isn't it! Mind you, I don't mind making a bit of noise about the fact that on my journey home tonight, I will pass the 10,000 mile mark! Woohoo! I might even stop at the appropriate moment and photograph this momentous occasion! Best wishes, Drew

Drew

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture

I been riding around parts of Tasmania averaging 50-70klms a day in my work
I usually travel 50-60kph and get 40klms on a full charge
I have done 26,500 klms on my scooter
19,000 on last bat pack.
Dropped it 3 times on grass,1 on road and 1 off its stand (did more damage falling off stand than sliding along road)
can hardly see scratches.
I have reloaded one program back from the lastest last week and now get
55klms per charge with this software,
I dont fully charge it, but
usually ride until its flat.
HANGING OUT for the day I can buy a LITHIUM upgrade
Wear and maintenace to date, has been five tyres, 2 blown fuses and blown motor controller

Happy riding
Peter

Aircon

woooooooooooooooooo.....wait a minute!!

"I have reloaded one program back from the lastest last week and now get
55klms per charge with this software,"

more details please!!

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture

loaded MC1014B.hex and MC1014B.hex (where one can switch off headlight)
after it was replace last year with
MCR1017 and BCR3001 (which charger did equalizing and power limiting cut in earlier)
MC SW and BC sw must go together otherwise different versions wont
comunicate with each other resulting in frozen power bars and est.meter
lastest version looks after the batteries at the expense of performance
earlier version said to shorten bat life,
That is my understanding!
IMG_1507.jpg

BUT the latest software was loaded when I got battery replacements
AND still the cells deteriated to half their capacity..... in one year

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Edd