EGO being ridden into the ground

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Neptool
EGO being ridden into the ground

Hi all.

By way of giving back to this great website, and great forum, and catching up after not logging in for several years, I want share some real-world feedback on the Ego LX scooter. I have ridden my Ego LX in Aurora, Colorado (just East of Denver) for over 5 years. I've ridden in Winter and Summer, rain and snow. I've ridden through floods and mud, and construction trash. I haven't done much for the scooter except fix it when it breaks. I've replaced the motor once, and the controller once, and the battery equalizer once, and the charger once. I've gone through 4-5 sets of batteries. I'm on the original wheels and wheel bearings. I estimate I've put over 15000 miles on this scooter. I beat the heck out of it. It is a very sturdy machine and I am very glad to have had it.

I've modified it by removing the dc-dc converter and running my headlight off 12 volt H3 bulb, adding a powercheq battery equalizer, and using a chain drive.

More on the chain drive:

I recently converted it to chain drive by buying some sprockets from Grainger and then shimming them and using a key to keep them somewhat firm on the shafts. I bought two sprockets of similar size so this increased my top speed but killed my ability to climb hills and really shortened the distance I could drive before having to push. I did the chain drive conversion because I was tired of the plastic pulleys wearing out. The chain drive worked well for several hundred miles and then, yesterday, the scooter quit.

I am ready to give up on the scooter. I feel like I got more than my money's worth as it kept me from having to buy a second car. I'm thinking of a Wilderness Energy kit now.

But, I'm willing to make one more effort to get a few more miles out of it. If you can help me get it running again.

I smelled a strong 'electrical' smell from the motor, and the controller (SC Controller) is blinking twice indicating 'Anomaly controller or contactor'. I have a brand new Ego contactor I bought earlier as a spare. What things can I try to get it working?
When I turn the key, the battery indicator lights up, but headlights, turn signals, and taillight do not work - which is odd. I put the new contactor in but it doesn't click.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Neptool
Re: EGO being ridden into the ground

I also want to mention what it cost me to operate the Ego.

My costs averaged 800/year. Figuring 3200 miles/year gave me 25 cents a mile. I think that my costs were higher because of the many miles I put on the machine, and my lack of interest in doing any preventative maintenance. If I back out the cost to purchase the Ego, then the cost/mile goes down to 15 cents. So, it was a very inexpensive way to commute to work.

JacksonV
Re: EGO being ridden into the ground

The Tempe Town lake dam was supposed to last from 25-30 years,but that's not what happened last July 21,Wednesday.A lot of people before the flood was doing some activities on their own be alone, or with their families.Until a loud sound,like an explosion was heard by the people in the community.There were a lot of people that were shocked because they saw that the water from the water from the lake is now fast approaching the city.It seems to me the city skimped on an cash advance and decided to put something up that wouldn't last very long.It made a lot of people homeless in less than an hour.The police did everything they can to control the crowd and to save people before it was too late.I'm glad that nobody was reported to be injured or worse died from the incident.I hope that the US government will take this as a lesson.They should use and spend their fund wisely.I mean,if they haven't installed for an inflated dam there wouldn't have been an accident.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage