Plenum Fans

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
HarryS
Plenum Fans

For the past week I noticed that my 2008 Vectrix (new firmware) runs pretty high temperatutres regardless of the ambient temperature. An evening charge that ends at 10pm still has the battery at 30C in the morning (ambient 18C). At the end of a 20mile ride this will have climnbed to 35-36C. The actual banks range from 30-36 with "Mod Temp 6 4D" (presumably front battery lower right bank) being the highest. I remember that in the past, I would always hear the fans come on about 1/2-1 sec apart from each other so you can actually hear both fans coming on. I no longer hear that. Is it possble that one of the two stopped working. I took the seat off to feel the vibrations at the fan mounts but really those travel all along the plenum. Is there any other test short of taking the battery cover off?

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Plenum Fans

Yes. If you feel the air blowing at both rear shock absorbers, then both plenum fans are working. If not there will be blowing air at only one rear shock absorber.

That was the case at my new Vectrix. But at that time I didn't know, that there were 2 plenum fans, only one was working and I thought everything was ok. It was not. My battery pack got so hot one night, that when I got to my bike and turned it on, I got BATHOT.

P.S.: At my Vectrix, both plenum fans sometimes start at the same time, but sometimes they start one after another 1-2 seconds apart.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Harry,

On my 07 model, that was the case, I would distincly hear one fan kick on right after the other, and had air blowing out both sides of the rear swingarm. I panicked when I did not have this with my 08 replacement, so I hauled the bike 500 miles round trip to get it looked at, only to find out that on the 08 models (or perhaps any model with updated software), the two fans are not associated with each other at all. They are both independantly temperature triggered, and both fans and sensors all checked out fine. If one area of your system is hot and the other is not, you'll only have one fan running, and it's air may be all that's necessary to keep that cooler side just under the trigger point.

That's not to say that there ain't something wrong with your bike, but just to say that your symptoms don't necessarily indicate that there is.

Mik
Mik's picture

You can test if the impeller motors are able to work individually by applying 12V DC to the connector on the housing. There is a common negative pole and a positive pole for each impeller motor. Each motor will draw around 2.5A at startup and settle on 2A after a few seconds.

I can check the polarity if you want to try this (IIRC, the negative pole is the one towards the rear of the scooter).

Of course, if the impellers both run with this test it still does not exclude that one is not being supplied power when it should. But this test will tell you if the actual impeller motor are operational.

You can also measure voltage at the motor controller end of the connector to find out if the motors are both being switched on. Just set a pre-cooling period and then pull the connector off while the impeller/s are running. You will need some thin wire or probe to measure the voltage inside the narrow connectors.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage