Denver Demo Day this Sat!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
rewski
Denver Demo Day this Sat!

I just got an email from Zero about a demo day in Denver, CO for the new 2010 Zero bikes. I signed myself up and will post a first hand review following the test ride!

rewski
Re: Denver Demo Day this Sat!

Well I got to test ride both the 2010 Zero S and DS in the huge parking lot of Invesco Field at Mile High. My overall impression...wow! My only comparison is to my 2007 Vectrix (which is running great). Acceleration and overall punch are noticeably faster on the Zero bikes. Also the suspension is much more plush and would likely handle the occasional pothole or two much better than the Vectrix. The Zero bike are obviously way lighter too, only weighing about 288 lbs. Obviously the riding position is quite different than the Vectrix too. It is much more aggressive position leaning forward. Still comfortable but not nearly as comfortable as a scooter. The only differences between the S and the DS is the ride height is an inch higher on the DS and the tires are for street and dirt on the DS (and only street for the S). The bikes come with two seat options as well. I am taller at 6'4" so the regular seat was perfect for me, but nearly all of the people test riding were using the bikes with the low seat. This seams to be the same problem with the Vectrix and the later low seat option for shorter people. Obviously the big difference in sitting on the bikes with only your toes touching is the weight difference.

Overall, I was very impressed and am seriously thinking about getting one. But getting rid of my Vectrix...I don't think so. The Vectrix is too comfortable for leisure rides or the occasional ride with my wife on the back. Also there is obviously much more wind protection behind the Vectrix front end...riding the Zero in the winter would be out of the question unless you were very bundled up. That being said, I think I would go for the DS rather than the S because they are the same price and both are completely street legal, but the DS gives you the option for the occasional dirt or gravel road that comes in your path! Also, the real reason why the Zero is so enticing in Colorado, is that the final cost after the government and state rebate brings the cost down to only $4180!!! I think Oklahoma is even a bit better for the rebates but the CO EV rebate is amazing!

Let me know if anyone has an specific questions!

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Mik
Mik's picture

Thanks for that, very interesting!

How fast could you go in the parking lot?

How is the acceleration at the higher end of the speed range?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

rewski

That is exactly something I wanted to test given some of the talk in the Vectrix forum. Unfortunately we did not have full run of the parking lot but there was a pretty good stretch. I got it up to 40-45mph in quite a hury and it was still pushing hard but had to brake hard or risk crashing one of the demo bikes :) I did ask the local rep on location about that issue (he just got a new DS for himself). He said that the acceleration is pretty linear from about 10-max mph with the greatest oomph between 10 and 40mph but still quite a bit pf pickup getting onto the highway. He said he felt very safe merging into highspeed of 60-65 mph.

Btw, one of the nice things I say was that the fuses for this bike are all between the seat and the handlebars for very easy access!

Adam - Denver, CO

rewski

Just got word that my new blue Zero DS will be shipped to Denver this week! I'll try to do some comparisons to my Vectrix which is still running awesome. I couldn't pass up the Colorado tax credits for this new bike. Only about $4200 after all the rebates come back next year in tax returns!

Adam - Denver, CO

rewski

Zero DS arrived! It looks amazing in person. I think my Vectrix is looking a bit jealous now!
photo.JPG

Adam - Denver, CO

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage