Bike conversion kit... A vendor recommendation for EV-Universe.com

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Kelly
Bike conversion kit... A vendor recommendation for EV-Universe.com

Hi,

I'm new here. Forgive me if this is the wrong portion of the forum but I did not see a spot for vendor reviews.

A while back I decided to upgrade my custom surf kayak hauling trike to an electric front hub motor. I did some online research and settled on the idea of getting a Crystalyte set up or something similar. I contacted several places. One person returned my email immediately, another several days later with limited information, and little apparent enthusiasm or interest for my project. A few people never got back to me. The person who got back to me immediately was Don at ev-universe.com. He first emailed then called to make sure I got the information and offered me a kit with a slight modification for the weight of my trike. A 5304 instead of a 5303 in order to handle the extra weight.

He tested all the components and sent out the kit right away. I received it about 3-4 days later, and installed it. There was a problem. The motor would spin very slowly and then stop. The battery registered a full charge. I emailed Don, and he called me right away to discuss what might be wrong. After trying a few things, he said he would send me another controller. Again, I got it in a few days. It did not fix the problem. He sent me another hub motor, this time the 5303 because he did not have another 5304 in stock. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem either. Don sent me another new and tested (as all of the components were before shipping) battery pack. Eureka! It works. At this point Don had sent me what amounted to two full kits to get me up and running. All this for the original price of one kit. He told me he had never seen this type of problem happen before and wanted to make sure I was happy with the product. He obviously meant what he said.

I tried the original 5304 hub motor again and it did not work. So apparently we had a rare instance of two things going wrong at the same time. Don told me to run the 5303 motor while I am waiting for the new 5304 to get in. He said it may be several weeks or more. I would have completely understood if he had simply not sent me the replacement motor and told me to wait for the order to arrive. Instead I got what ends up being the best experience I have ever had in many years of buying and selling. I am sending the extra parts back so Don can try to figure out what went wrong with them. He is paying for all shipping. Every time I emailed Don I got a rapid and detailed response. Major kudos to Don for being such a stand up businessman! I highly recommend Don's business, EV-Universe.com as a great place to get a conversion kit or a complete bike. You will not find a better or more attentive vendor. Thanks Don!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com www.gullwinginn.com

John Kelly
Re: Bike conversion kit... A vendor recommendation for ...

Before and after shots. I plan to make steel body panels and fenders for the trike this coming winter if all goes well.
Kayaktrike.jpg
tarpaperbodywork.jpg
John www.ghiaspecialties.com

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Bike conversion kit... A vendor recommendation for ...

Very cool pics! Plus it's always good to hear of good vendor stories.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage