XB-508 power fluctuates, whether still or driving pls help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
urdanoff
XB-508 power fluctuates, whether still or driving pls help

I have a fairly new (only three months or so old) x-treme xb-508. I believe that I personally did something to the power but I could be wrong – please help. Here is what I did and when I think the problem started - when the both sided kick stand was down I was trying to release it by going forward and made the mistake of putting the key into the on position first, was holding onto the handles (hence the throttle) and ended up spinning the back wheel a short while (very short while) before finally getting the kickstand to release. The bike then seemed to sporatically loose power while driving it home - literally the power indicator goes to zero and the throttle stops working as if I turned the key off. It hasn’t been the same since. First, I replaced the 30amp fuse and that seemed to fix the power for one restart. The fuse didn't need to be replaced. I have also replaced the clear glass tube fuse.

EVEN WHEN the ignition KEY IS IN THE ON position, the power indicator only SOMETIMES moves at all – the battery if fully charged. Mostly it acts like the ignition hasn’t been turned. Even when in the ON display position, while using the scooter, the display needle will drop immediately to ‘off’ position (as if ignition isn’t turned on) and the scooter will not run.

Do you think I need to replace only my ignition switch? There are no burned or obviously damaged wires (I have taken the seat off, uncliped the wires and checked. THere were two wires crushed in the screw for the seat but their seals weren't broken, they were just smooshed. I don’t know if the controller is the problem ?

In either event, I am capable of using screws, nuts etc but not a soldering gun. If I need to solder then I will have to find someone local to fix the unit once the problem is determined.

Thank you for your time - I really do need the help....please
Lisa

antiscab
Re: XB-508 power fluctuates, whether still or driving pls help

when the both sided kick stand was down I was trying to release it by going forward and made the mistake of putting the key into the on position first, was holding onto the handles (hence the throttle) and ended up spinning the back wheel a short while (very short while) before finally getting the kickstand to release.

Most bikes come with a micro-switch on the side stand and brakes to tell the controller to shut down when engaged.
so if your controller still works with the side stand down, and sometimes stops/starts, that is likely to be the culrpit.

the not always turning on problem is likely to be the ignition.
one way to find out is to hot wire it, and see if that solves the problem (then replace the ignition).

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

mf70

At least on my XB600, there is no such micro switch, though larger motorcycles do have this feature. As you already know, the XB508 doesn't pack much power in that spinning wheel. Merely spinning the wheel under power will not hurt anything; it was more likely the bump when it came off the stand that was the culprit.

It sounds like a loose connector somewhere. I'd take off various housings and start wiggling wires (not merely unplugging) to see if I could reproduce the fault. See if your paperwork included a circuit diagram, and follow the wiring from the meter, matching the scoot's actual wires to the diagram. At every connector, flex and wiggle to verify that the connection is good.

Mark

marylandbob

It is possible that the rear wheel may have shifted in alignment when it hit the ground spinning. Check the mounting/alignment/centering/axle securing of the wheel carefully.---Bob

Robert M. Curry

urdanoff
Re: XB-508 power fluctuates, FIXED - THANK YOU !!!

Hi GUYS

When unclipping all the quick ties and thoroughly examing all the connections, a plastic piece was broken on one of the connectors - when I pushed it in - and taped it shut with electrical tape - oila everything works. Thank you so very much for all of your help. PHEW!

mf70
Re: XB-508 power fluctuates, FIXED - THANK YOU !!!

Congratulations! Now you're an expert! (As much as any of us, anyway...)

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage