How do I install new battery into Merida 500

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
danfitz16
How do I install new battery into Merida 500

I have looked over all these forums but am still confused about what todo.

I have the bike. I have the battery case. I want to get a 24volt 9ah, or a 36volt 9ah battery put in.

If i buy a 36volt, does that mean i need to get a new volt controller and charger? Any other kind of modifications?

If i put in one 24volt 9ah batter will I need a new charger because It origionally came with two 12volt 9ah batteries.

If i buy a 12 or 24 or 36 with a different "ah" will i need a new charger?

Dan.

poepad
Re: How do I install new battery into Merida 500

Dont try to reinvent the wheel. What did it come with? Whatever it is, buy 12volt battries, the highest ah you can afford and will fit. If you put in a higher voltage you will kill your controller. good luck

Don't buy any futher away than you can drive to and return it.

danfitz16

Your right. I want to find the simplest solution and get this bike going!

It came with two 12volt 9ah batteries. There total volume adds up to 144'' cubed.

They do not make them that size anymore. I can only get one 12 volt batter with a volume of 63'' cubed.

Since that is only 44% of the volume of the original set, I wanted to make sure the bike could get enough power.

Since the first set was two 12volt batteries, does that mean that their total output is 24 volts? The charger it came with says:

OUTPUT: 24VDC/2.3A

I live in a hilly area. My commute to school is 4 miles up hill. the last 2 miles are one big steep hill.

If i do modify the bike for 36 volt, what parts will i need to change?

The controller and charger. Anything else?

Dan Fitz

tilt2468

The original batteries were most likely a pair of 12 volt sla wired in series to produce 24 volts. You can probably find a pair of 12v 7ah sla batteries that will fit in the case-- whether or not these will get you up one steep hill will depend on how much you pedal and how steep the hill is. One major consideration for sla batteries is that they should be put on a charger immediately after each use to prevent damage to their performance-- you would not want to coast home and charge them at the end of each day, if they were used in the morning. If they are enough power to get up the hill, you can expect about 60 - 100 charging cycles before you notice a significant drop in performance.

tilt

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage