Some upgrades on my 3500

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny J
Johnny J's picture
Some upgrades on my 3500

Have done quite a few changes on my bike during the last year:

Since I have cables to each battery for both the Goodrum-Fechter BMS and the Cell-logs, it looks like this before tidying up...

Cables.jpg

Cell-logs:

Cell.jpg

4-pole relay, for automatic switch-on of the Cell-logs:

Relay.jpg

Remade instrument panel, 3 red "warning" LEDs that lights up if the voltage goes too low, connected to the Cell-logs:

Instru.jpg

New 4,5kW motor with Metzeler tire:

Tire.jpg

New controller, just got it from Mountain Chen, delivers 120A:

Controller.jpg

These new shocks are propably the best upgrade, feels like a new scooter. It rides a little bit lower in the back and it handles MUCH better, also from Mr. Chen:

Shock.jpg

Have also put 4 extra cells (24 in total) in and the top speed is now 85km/h (53MPH).
Did a calculation of the motor/controller power during acceleration and got to the number 8kW, you can really feel the difference with the new controller...

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Re: Some upgrades on my 3500

Nice upgrades. Does the controller have regen braking? Because I'm using a Kelly 250 amp controller and rigged up variable regen braking and am averaging between 7% to 14% back from the braking and hardely use the discs at all. I've seen peeks of 10kw on my cycle analyst but they are very short. The stock 3500w motor has been taking it for about 4800km on one and 4200 on another. No steep long hills here though. That might be a problem. Do you know where I can get the shocks? Thanks for the info. I love my xm3500 despite it's flaws. I built a kmx kart with two 10 HP electric motors too. That thing is insane 0-50 in 5 seconds. It's on another thread. Would like to see if there is any pattern to what the batteries are doing in these. Thier performance that is. keep up the good work!

Bill

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

This controller doesn´t have regen...
I´ve had quite a few EVs during the years and I´m actually not a big fan of regen, had it on one of my cars and hardly ever had it turned on.
The reason is that you adapt different driving techniques with and without regen, without regen you tend to let off the throttle earlier and roll a longer distance compared to regen turned on. This is of course my personal experience and there are I´m sure different opinons..

I´m not sure if anyone imports these shocks from Mountain, but you could always contact him directly and ask if he´s willing to sell you a couple.

Link to the kart thread? (too lazy to search)...

Best regards

Johnny

Mountain chen

Dear Johnny,my new controller did have REGEN performance,see the following testing from France.
Regen performance 3.jpg
regen performance 2.jpg
Regen performance 1.jpg

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Hi john, long time no see. I haven't been here in awhile.
I use both, I plan ahead for lights, but in city driving it's really nice to have regen. It just feels good to know you are regaining energy from your inertia. Fingertip braking too. I could never go back to no regen. But in the car I can see how it might be different, on the bike I like the feel of the regen brakes on turns, while I agree with you about coasting, you know, some people want go nuts and then are disappointed in range, this helps that a little.
Here's the link
Mines at the bottom, the black one.

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6899-kmx-recumbent-tadpole-trikes-discounted-prices

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Hey MC, you have to post the link, no one can read that. I'm very interested though. Did you see how I rigged my regen brakes? On the left handlebar by the disc brake handle. It allows you to still have full control of the disc brakes and finger tip control of regen braking.

DSC01310.JPG

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Edited out my double post, oops.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage