Extinct Scooters

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
krononaut
krononaut's picture
Extinct Scooters

I bought a basketcase Evader 1000 from a local guy who took it apart and was going to use the parts for a project. I have everything going back together, but an having trouble with the wiring. Note: this scoot never made it on the road, it went from a clearance sale to this guys garage, then was dismantled.

It is missing the seat, but it looks like everything is there.

I've tested the batteries and they are still in good condition. The gent I bought it from kept them on a battery maintainer.
The motor runs fine.

When I hooked up what I could, it seems that there is something missing that tells the controller what to do. Would anyone have a wiring diagram or know where I could obtain one?

Thanks
Gary Watts

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Extinct Scooters

Ah, the Evader - the company started out as Esarati a long time ago to the best of my memory, made a lot of promises, had a uniquely designed electric motorcycle, then a while later renamed to Evader and introduced a pair of me-too low end scooters.

Anyway that doesn't help you ... however it would help to understand what you've got and what you don't got. What pieces do you have hooked up? Pictures?

krononaut
krononaut's picture

Thanks David.
After hooking everything up and seeing that I was missing a few items, I traced the wiring. There is some "black box" missing that would connect into three connectors that are by the floorboard.

So I pulled out the OEM mystery controller, and will be using my AllTrax controller instead. This winter I will try and diagnose how the OEM Evader controller works.

I have a photo posted here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/vwguy/4803467097/, with some comments on the photo with what I found.

Gary

krononaut
krononaut's picture

I have most of the evader rewired, but am having a bit of trouble with the voltage and ammeter. The ammeter seems to work best at 12v, but the voltage side then shows low voltage.

If I try hooking up those same wires to the 48v, the display flashes.

Would anyone know the correct wiring for the dash display?

Thanks.

BTW: I did get it on the road by wiring in my Alltrax controller to it. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SyArgeIOI

reikiman
reikiman's picture

It's hard to tell anything from the picture on flikr because there doesn't seem to be a way to zoom in to see details.

krononaut
krononaut's picture

I spent more time with my voltmeter, and found where the wires go. Every day is a new learning experience with this vehicle.

I should have all lights, speedo, and ammeter working by the middle of next week. A show is already pushing me to bring it to let people see that electric vehicles don't need to cost thousands of dollars to build. I am working late nights to get it ready for that.

-Gary

krononaut
krononaut's picture

Just an update:
Everything is running, and I've been charging the 4 batteries with 4 separate chargers...until I purchase a 48v charger. I take it in to the State Patrol on Sept 8th to get a VIN number, and get it licensed for street use.

mf70

It looks like the same battery arrangement as my 2004 Yonkang Crown. The suspension is better.

I recommend a 12V parallel charging setup with all four batteries charged off one charger. Then make a series jumper plug to "rewire" the pack for 48V operation.

Mark

krononaut
krononaut's picture

I would love to see your wiring diagram for the batteries. I've been trying to wrap my mind around having both a series and parallel wiring on the same set of batteries, but the brain can't picture it.

Gary

It looks like the same battery arrangement as my 2004 Yonkang Crown. The suspension is better.

I recommend a 12V parallel charging setup with all four batteries charged off one charger. Then make a series jumper plug to "rewire" the pack for 48V operation.

Mark

mf70

Well, the photos show what the pack wiring actually looks like.

The missing link would be the arrangement of the other side of the socket. There will be TWO sockets, wired differently. I hope this diagram clears that up:
//i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/mf70/Pack%20rewiring/Packwiring.jpg)

There is a subtlety in the way the parallel plug is wired: the connection is fed into the bank from opposite sides to reduce even minor differences in charge resistance between the parallel cell paths.

Mark

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage