Just purchased xm-4000li - foolish?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
celticmodes
Just purchased xm-4000li - foolish?

When I first got interested in an electric scooter, I realized there were no shops near me so I hit the internet. The XM series come up a lot in google. I assumed, by their saturation with so many dealers, that they were an established quality company. After reading some of this forum and looking up complaints on the company, I'm ready to cancel my order. Can anyone say that they have received a working model that wasn't damaged during shipping or didn't have issues come up almost immediately?

celticmodes
Re: Just purchased xm-4000li - foolish?

Just got it. Took a while to uncrate by myself but I finally got it out and ready to go. Nice ride. I kept it on the economy setting most of the tour around the neighborhood since I'm used to the moped feel and wanted to compare the new bike to my previous ride. At full strength, it takes off rather quickly which is something I'll have to get used to. I was surprised at how quiet the engine was. I assumed I'd hear some "electric moan" but I got next to nothing. I'm very pleased.

antiscab

the "economy" switch just reduces the max throttle setting to roughly half.

the increase in range is just from reduced top speed.
if while in "power" mode you rode at the same speed, you would use the same amount of energy (its a gimmick in other words).

good to hear you are enjoying the bikes otherwise.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

celticmodes

Well I went a few km around the neighborhood and then ran into a problem. I was accelerating and then I heard a noise that is hard to describe like a grumbling from the motor. I pulled off to the side and inspected it and saw nothing externally that looked wrong. I got back on to take it home but the motor didn't respond. At this point I have all running lights but no power to the motor. I see a troubleshooting guide for this symptom listed for the xm-3500li so I'll use that as a guide. I'm hoping it's just a brake kill switch that decided it was too tight instead of a real problem with the motor or controller.

I have fond memories of my Dad's Harley in the driveway with some of its disassembled pieces laying around it. I'm following in his footsteps :-)

marylandbob

Failing after accelleration might indicate that the rear wheel was loose, and shifted, causing damage to the motor electrical connections-check this area very carefully! If the torque reaction caused the axle to move, the wires could get damaged, or a connector could come loose. If the batteries were weak, or a battery connection is poor, low-voltage-shutdown could occur, and lights/accessories would still work.(It is not that unusual for something to be loose on a new scooter after shipment.)-Bob

Robert M. Curry

antiscab

yup, thats definately an easy one to check. only requires you to be able to see.

another possibility is a problem with phase windings, hall sensors or the controller.
that will require a multimeter (but only a cheap one).

if you have one:
put the bike on the stand.
find the 5 small wires coming from the hub motor.
measure the voltage between the black wire and the each of the other wires, as you are turning the wheel by hand ( while the connector is still plugged into the controller ideally)

the red wire should stay around 5v, the others should vary between 0 and 5v while the wheel is spinning.

if thats how it is, the halls sensors are ok.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

celticmodes

Thanks for the tip. It's not the motor/axle position. That is still tight and hasn't moved. I've got a ticket in and they've started with the possibility of a loose breaker connection. We'll try the hall sensor test next while waiting on the ticket. I've hoping it won't be a day or two between ticket responses or this could be a very slow diagnostic session.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Hi, If it's a brake sw then you will see it on the dash. That happened to me once as well as a malfunction of the breaker. I fixed the switch by readjusting it at the brake handle. I replaced the breaker. I fixed the old one by using a C clamp in just the right spot. Sometimes they trip and then won't re-engage. Anyway I like my xm-3500 I think you'll like it. Good luck.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

celticmodes

They are going to replace the controller. They asked me to "follow the wires out of controller until it comes to a connector" which was easy to do for all the connectors but the controller looks like it's hard wired into the motor/hub. Is there some connector I'm missing?

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

If I remember correctly there are connectors under some shrink wrap. I thought mine was hardwired at first too. There are paddle type connectors that are screwed together. We are talking about the heavy gage wires now, right? They may be bundled and zip tied and shoved back where you cant see where they are joined. You have to cut the zip ties and pull the wires out where you can examine them. then you will notice the bulges where they are screwed together. It was pretty easy to replace the controller. Feel free if you have anymore questions. You will have to remove the plastic cover that runs under the controller.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

celticmodes

Thanks. That was it. I those wires were continuous inside the sheath but I see now that they weren't.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Yep, same here, after a little swearing I looked closer. I think you did the right thing, I really like my scooter despite a few problems. Next thing you know you'll be an EV tech. Have fun! Don't worry, be happy.

celticmodes

The new controller works. I can't remember if this behavior is the same as the last controller since I only rode it for a 1/2 hour but when I let off of the juice, the motor still seems engaged, like it's still "in gear". If I slightly squeeze the brake enough to switch the motor power off, the resistance of being "in gear" lets off and I coast better. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the thing has regen but I read that this model doesn't. Any ideas?

Another issue that popped up while I was working with the last controller but has persisted with the new. The low battery light blinks from the time I turn it on. It's totally charged. Since the bike is working now, I take it out around the block with my blinking red light. The needle goes from H to red L immediately if I open it up. I believe I have a cell out or something.

rehalliburton

I'd say, yes - a bit foolish.

I understand that anyone who purchases one of these XM electric bikes is to be considered an "early adopter" - that is, a person who is in it for the sake of being in it, because they are excited about the new technology and what that means for the future, etc...

However, I'm wondering how much of that pioneer spirit is being taken advantage of by just plain lousy manufacturers putting out products of inferior quality. I mean, are any of these numerous flaws and failures that are written about in these forums truly the result of the technology being out ahead of itself, with the "early adopter" eagerly playing the role of beta tester? I have a strong suspicion that it is more the case that these bikes could be made to be reliable, but that the manufacturers and sellers have found that they don't have to go to that trouble as long as there are enough wide-eyed enthusiasts lining up to pay for the privilege of "doing their part" for progress, etc...

mf70

1) In this corner of the fierce and wild marketplace, price is king. Putting the time into a full service and replacement chain (factory, distributor, service center) would put the scoot in the Vectrix or Honda category.

2) We hear the squawkers here. How many are sold with no problems? I don't know, but there's must be a lot of activity to support the various retailers we do see (allowing for the "wishful thinking" retailers that really aren't covering their costs.)

My XB600 has been a happy experience for about 1 1/2 years. Failures have been normal maintenance items. But the primary mechanic is ME. There's no dealership to welcome me when the headlight goes black or the steering develops wobble.

Mark

celticmodes

I'm sending the charger back now :-) Well, I can say that this is an adventure. I just wish I could ride it. It's been a month and I've gotten around the block a few times and the weather is turning now so I'm not sure how much fun I'll have this year with it. I think there are 3 things in the business model causing these problems. The first is the "cut corners" approach from the manufacturer when it comes to the quality of the raw materials. The second is a real lack of quality control before the bike leaves the manufacturer. I understand this is the Chinese way of doing things. The third, and this is the one I can't understand, is the lack of quality control from the US importer. If they know about points 1 and 2, then why not open the box and do a final QC before shipping locally? They could nip a lot of these issues in the bud and greatly improve their reputation. Then again, I work for one of the Big 3 auto firms and six sigma is stamped into my brain.

Oh well, live and learn. I'm sure by time I've got the damn thing up and running I'll be a certified EV tinkerer which I can't really complain about :-)

zigalisr01

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I had some problems when I first got it but, nothing compared to yours. I just got the CA license for mine and drove it to work every day this week. Well not yesterday, raining. There is one part of my commute that has a 45 mph so, I can open it up to 50 mph. However, it does not run at that speed for more than 2 minutes then the low voltage light starts to flash and I slow down. It is fun when it does work. I would sooner buy a Honda, pay more and not have all of these problems.

I have had mine since 8/24 and have not gotten the wind screen attached. I just found the screws and clips but how can I get them inside of the front cowling?

celticmodes

It's a while since I put my screen on. I think I had to take off a panel or two.

celticmodes

Got some replacement batteries and waited until warmer weather to begin again. Bike still has flashing low voltage light immediately when turned on and the meter shows a draw down below low the first time I engage motor. Batteries fully charged....charging them some more.

celticmodes

I was thinking of all the possible reasons why the controller doesn't believe it is getting the volts/amperage it needs. Then I remembered that this is a replacement controller. My first one died the first time out. They sent a replacement controller for my XM4000. Shipping label says Controller for XM4000. Sticker on controller says XM5000. Ok. I think the mystery is solved :-)

I'm pissed because I've torn the bike apart trying to figure it out and I'm laughing because it is perfectly logical.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage