NiMH problems with heat

1 post / 0 new
MitchJi
NiMH problems with heat

Hi,

Forgive me if this information is already available here. I think this informationhelps explain some of the problems people are having. BTW does the Vectrix Charger use heat to terminate the charge or a hard voltage cutoff?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20547&p=302104#p302104

You're correct on the 1.0v per cell minimum, any lower and the risk of cell reversal grows.
-----
You can do that but, the chargers you have will use a rise in pack temperature for charge termination. Then you want the pack to cool down before using. Using them when too warm decreases performance and shortens life.
-----
As the packs degrade, their internal resistance increases. This causes more heat which causes more internal resistance. You want to stay out of this cycle of degrading performance by --not asking more of the packs than they can do while not getting too warm. IN ADDITION, CHARGING THE PACKS MAKES THEM GET WARM-- DONT USE THEM TILL THEY COOL OFF. its not a safety issue but rather a pack longevity issue.
-----
A buddy in california uses a MONSTER NIMH pack and only charges at home at night, so the Pack is cool in the morning, has enough AH (24v 40ah I think) to go all day with no charging. Pack has lasted 7 years.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage