Electric Batteries for an Allis-Chalmers "G" conversion

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
redbaron
Electric Batteries for an Allis-Chalmers "G" conversion

Hey Everyone,
I hope this is the right spot but anyway,

I am part of a group doing a gas to electric conversion of a Allis-Chalmers "G" tractor.
There are several design options online but all use some sort of lead-acid deep cycle battery.

Our group is looking to use some sort of lithium-ion or LiFePO4 batteries which are just better.

However, a lot of these type batteries seem to be either for light applications or cars.

The engine we are looking at is something around this:
http://www.evparts.com/products/golf-cart/motors-dot/48-to-96-volt-golf-cart-motors/mt2112.htm

Does anyone know of a lithium-ion or LiFePO4 battery packs for this range of electric motor?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Electric Batteries for an Allis-Chalmers "G" conversion

I'm curious what makes you think lithium batteries are only for light electric vehicle applications?

I have written many articles about large trucks using lithium battery packs: Frito-Lay joins 'charge' towards electric delivery trucks with trucks from Smith Electric Vehicles, Electric Vehicles International builds electric delivery vans for UPS, Lightning Motors champion electric superbike is powered by Balqon's electric truck drive train, Balqon announces a new extended range "yard tractor" for warehouse and port operations ...

Those trucks range in size from mid-size (class 3 or 4?) up to the class 8 big rigs. Most of the designs have 50-100 mile range and are meant for around town use. As I understand it Balqon's class 8 truck has a 250+ kilowatt-hour battery pack and a 50 miles/hr top speed.

That specific motor you reference is pretty modest size. I have one on my Lectra motorcycle. With a 60 volt lead pack its top speed is 45 miles/hr. It has plenty of get-up-and-go until it tops out, however. I'm not familiar with the size of tractor you're looking at but I wonder if the motor will be enough for the application?

redbaron
Re: Electric Batteries for an Allis-Chalmers "G" conversion

I am not necessarily dismissing lithium ion as just for light vehicle operation. It is just that I have not found a company selling a mid-ranged
lithium battery pack(something around 3k to 7k watts) like I do for lead-acids. The motor is from an actual conversion done on one of these type tractors.

The tractor is a 1940's - 1950's design and delivers about 10hp maximum. So pretty much any modern motor will have a better performance.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/0/6-allis-chalmers-g.html

My group (a class actually for college) is looking into not only doing this conversion but optimizing the original instructions which means to us finding a better solution then bulky and non-environmentally friendly lead-acids.

Z. Beran
zjberan [at] gmail.com

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage