Strange failure of Vectrix V1

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jean-Pierre
Strange failure of Vectrix V1

I bought my Vectrix V1 from Vectrix Paris. I have run 8400 km without any problem, everything was perfect and I enjoyed the scooter. Run all year long with the help of the Riviera climate. In July 2010 I was doing my usual travel to work, 6.6km, it was hot (30C). After a descent I was on a slope doing about 60km/h when the HotBat sign appears and the charge indicator, which was a 2/3) suddenly goes to 0. I limp to my work at 10km/h (it was about 1km away), recharge the bike and was able to get home. But the same thing happen the next day and since no way to get the scooter working. It is now at the repair shop which has sent the log dump to Vectrix europe and is awaiting since 2 months for instruction...Maintenance and client management for Vectrix is really poor ..

R
R's picture
Re: Strange failure of Vectrix V1

I guess a death cell... Requiem in pax.

It is now at the repair shop which has sent the log dump to Vectrix europe and is awaiting since 2 months for instruction

My Vectrix is also waiting. I'll keep you posted if I receive any news.

update: I'm just remembering the case of Zumamusher.
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/9674-vanishing-10-bars-towed-home
quite similar... but she didn't told us how did she got the bike fixed... maybe the battery is still OK.

marylandbob

If you agressively used the "Regenerative Braking" on your descent, with the battery already near full charge, you probably overcharged, and may have even VENTED, one or more cells! It is best to hold off on heavy regen braking, untill at least 1/3 of the battery charge has been used, and even then, long & heavy usage, on steep/long downhills, can dump power back too fast, ESPECIALLY if the battery is already very warm, or near fully charged!--Bob

Robert M. Curry

R
R's picture

If you agressively used the "Regenerative Braking" on your descent, with the battery already near full charge, you probably overcharged, and may have even VENTED, one or more cells!

M, I don't agree at all. When my battery usually recharged up to 150v, the regen did not kick in with all its strength (sometimes the regen didn't work at all). To some extend, the vectrix Firmware protects the battery from regen overcharge (IF the battery is well balanced).
Jean-Pierre

"If you agressively used the "Regenerative Braking" on your descent"

I don't: I just let the bike roll down the hill. And anyway the charge was 2/3...And I do hope that the software (which is in my opinion not the strongest point of Vectrix but I may be biased as I am working in a computer science research center) either disconnect the motor or redirect the motor output to resistors when the regenerative braking is used while the battery is at full charge...

israndy
israndy's picture

Yeah, that is the thing that happened to me last month. Shocking. But the bike continues. I no longer take freeway as it's just too dangerous. Seems like if I want the battery to be reliable I need to run it down to the red light before charging it, but the bike limps home at that point and the limp speed is REALLY slow these days. I can push it faster! Very hard to get it to the red light without limping, but after a FULL charge the bike seems to fail mostly when it has been several days since a red light charge. Like it gets out of sync and realizes it, moving the charge indicator down. No good when it's 2/3 of the way down so I try to run it down every week.

-Randy

R
R's picture

No good when it's 2/3 of the way down so I try to run it down every week.

My battery is usually empty at 11/17 bars. I'm astonished that my useful battery capacity is around 6 bars... Israndy, our batteries have similar degradation. Everytime you bring the V to red light you stress/ damage the battery.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage