Dead VX-1 due to firmware update glitch

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Dead VX-1 due to firmware update glitch

I just received a private email with this text:

Mik,

do you know how one can flash the MCB. I lost the firmware while trying to program the new software and now no longer responds to the can-bus.
If anyone knows it would be you!
Thanks

My answer:

Hi,

unfortunately I have no idea how to do this!

All I can say for now is do not turn the scooter off before you get advice on how to fix the problem! That might not help, but it is apparently what you need to do if the scooterdiagnostic software or your laptop crashes while it's connected to the bike.

It might be best to ask this in the forum asap.

Mr. Mik

Can anyone help with this problem?

I guess this had to happen sooner or later.....

robert93
robert93's picture
Re: Messed up VX-1 software

flashing a programmable memory is the most vulnerable state of the device. If the hardware crashed during a write, the system may not be able to even boot to diagnostic levels. At that point, it would take having a manual chip programming system, or fresh chips from Vectrix direct, as i doubt many dealers are used to flash programming the chips. On the other hand, if there is a "failsafe memory" as some computer motherboards use, it may be possbile to force a "default boot" Now would be a good time to learn of "secret startup sequences", or "hidden daignostic switches" Best of luck (sitting back with mouth shut to learn from the pros )

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Hi anonymous,
my only idea: disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it with an inrush-current-limiter.
If the system has a failsafe memory it might boot, but it´s only theory.
Greetings Mike

Anderson

The failsafe system for motherboards is usualy by having dual bios's as discribed here;
http://www.bootbeta.com/blog/introduction-to-dual-bios-technologies.html

The Laird
Re: Dead VX-1 due to firmware update glitch

Hi Mik and Co-respondent,

The software problem you have may not be recoverable easily.

When re-programming one of the modules (I think that it's the charger) the new soft/firmware being installed writes off the can bus communication memorised software (probably in order to move it's memory location) and the can bus, then temporarily, operates on the information held in R.A.M. Any interruption to the Vectrix's power supply (i.e. switching off the 'ignition') results in a total inability to restart the can bus communications.

I have had the can bus cease communication with the Vectrix diagnostic software at other times when carrying out 'investigations' but it has always restarted after a total shutdown of the bike and the diagnostic software plus disconnection of all connecting leads.

If the bike has already been switched off, then all you can do is to try again and see what happens.

My best wishes to you, I sincerely hope it wakes up on reconnection.

Incidentaly, the advice given by Vectrix on reprogramming software/firmware, is available as a service bulletin No: NBTB0814.
a copy of which I can make available.

The Laird.

X Vectrix

Unfortunately, this is not easy to recover from. Recovery requires programming hardware specific to the processor on the motorcontroller. The MC has a port on the PCB for direct connection.

The MC processor has data RAM and program RAM, and is the most vulnerable to interruptions since the bootloader resides in program RAM which cannot be partitioned. When the firmware upgrade begins over the CANbus, the bootloader copies itself to data RAM inside the processor (data RAM does not get erased during programming, but program RAM does). Then the program RAM is erased by the bootloader which executes from data RAM. The physical properties of the program RAM do not allow you to erase only a portion of memory...so everything must be erased, including the bootloader. Once erased, the bootloader (running from data RAM) begins programming the new firmware to the program RAM. It receives the firmware over the CANbus a few bytes at a time. IT also reprograms itself into program RAM. If this procedure is interrupted the CAN communication (controlled by the bootloader in data RAM) can get corrupted before the bootloader copies itself to program RAM. Once this happens, recovery is usually impossible over the CANbus. Especially is power is cycled. The only way to restore the firmware is thru dedicated hardware connected directly to the PCB. This also requires a different type of file then the hex file used with the diagnostics.

The other modules have bootloaders that reside permanently in program memory...that is, they dont have to be erased during the update. These are usually a little more resistant to interruptions and simply cycling power will allow you to try again.

R
R's picture

thanks X-vectrix, very interesting. Please have a look at the post about overvoltage
- This post should be added to the V's collaborative handbook-

Mik
Mik's picture

Unfortunately, this is not easy to recover from. Recovery requires programming hardware specific to the processor on the motorcontroller. The MC has a port on the PCB for direct connection....

Thanks for the explanations!

Would it be possible to fix the problem by putting a new motor controller in?

Or would the new controller just get damaged as well?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

X Vectrix

Yes, this is something that follows that particular MC. So as long as the new one has the bootloader installed you fix the bike.

marylandbob

If it were me, I would telephone VECTRIX USA about sending them the motor controller to have it re-programmed, as the controller is rather expensive! (you will need to SAFELY remove and install the controller, which involves safely disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries-don't forget to use a resistor to allow capacitors to charge when reconnecting the batteries)-these capacitors also hold a charge AFTER the batteries are disconnected, I discharge them with a 100 ohm, 10 watt, wirewound resistor.--If in doubt, or lacking skills/tools, seek assistance!--Voltages and currents involved are DANGEROUS, both to you and the vehicle, if proper precautions are not taken!-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage