Should a 36v battery work on a 48v ebike motor?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
NewEbiker
Should a 36v battery work on a 48v ebike motor?

Greetings,

First of all this is a great forum and thanks to all who participate.

I'm new to ebiking and this is my first posting here. A little background first. I bought a used wilderness energy ebike this past summer. The motor is powered by 3 12v SLAs. I've had so much fun I decided to build my own ebike from the ground up so to speak. I purchased a 48v/800w motor kit from ebay a little while ago. Just a week ago I ordered a 48v/20ah ping battery that is still on its way. Since ordering the ping battery I started to work on the new bike. Last night I decided to hook up the new controller/motor/etc. to my SLAs. I've switched over to anderson powerpoles so everything is standardized. When I plugged in the SLAs I did get power (via my throttle battery level lights, horn and headlights working). The power level read empty on my battery level lights (on the throttle). I allied power to the motor and it turned approximately 6 inches and no more. I turned off the power and on again several times with the same results. I'm sure all of the connections are correct. I thought possibly the batteries were low so I hooked them up to the charger and they were already full. I then hooked up the battery to my wilderness energy motor and everything worked fine, had a full battery reading, etc.

Does this sound normal for hooking up a 36v battery to a 48v motor or am I looking at a controller, motor, etc. problem somewhere. I would have thought the 36v battery would power the 48v motor but with decreased performance.

Thanks in advance.

John

robert93
robert93's picture
Re: Should a 36v battery work on a 48v ebike motor?

Chances are your 48V controller has a low voltage cutoff of 42 volts. Your best option is just wait for the Ping to come in. On paper you could just add a 4th battery to your 36v set of sla's, but, thats 3 old one new, dont do it, would be bad for all four. I know its difficult to wait, but rushing at this point could make parts go bad. Wait.....

NewEbiker
Re: Should a 36v battery work on a 48v ebike motor?

Thanks a bunch for the reply. That makes me feel better. I didn't even know there was such a thing a low volt cutoff.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage