Just ordered a xb700li... oops do I need a license in CT?!!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ninelime
Just ordered a xb700li... oops do I need a license in CT?!!

Oh no this might be bad... I blew all my money on it and I might need a license in my state... that depends if federal law really does supercede the state law for electric bikes right?

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:_w7Tw8tYl1MJ:www.x-tremescooters.com/techdocs/adobe/e-bicycle-fed-regulation.pdf+feder...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Connecticut

D:

Nobody bothered me while I put 180 miles on my schwinn s500 scooter, and it goes just as fast as the xb700li, so should I be concerned? I've even had my girlfriend on the back and looked in a cops eyes and he didn't stop me! I'm just afraid of my brand new scooter I saved up for getting it thrown in the impound lot :(... would you guys just wait until you got a license to drive it?

robert93
robert93's picture
Re: Just ordered a xb700li... oops do I need a license in CT?!!

you need to contact the Connecticut Department of transportation, and get a current copy of the motor vehicle code, particularly as it applies to bicycles with motors, and more specifically, e-bikes. If they have no state laws on electric assisted bikes, now, Then approach the licensing agency and ask what would be required to operate it legally in Connecticut, and obtain written documentation of that. If this cant be obtained, then its time to see your Congressmen and Senators, to introduce e-bike legislation. Present them with the federal documentation as a guideline. Public Law 107-319
In the case of the federal e-bike laws, that is designed to set a minimum federal standard. It mainly sets the wording as such that the states can be more restrictive. If underage for driving, dont do anything that could delay your drivers license or cost you fine money. Most states with e-bike laws throw in the minimum age of 16 also.

mf70
Re: Just ordered a xb700li... oops do I need a license in CT?!!

You got lucky with one policeman, but to everyone else you look like a full-on motor-scooter on the road. Do the "due diligence" to be sure of where you stand...

Mark

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage