What capacity "D" cells in the Crystalyte Journey pack

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
dannytroy
What capacity "D" cells in the Crystalyte Journey pack

I just installed the Journey kit on my bike and although the speed is adequate I know 48 volts will definitely give me what I'm looking for. I just took apart the Crystalyte pack and there are no markings on the D cells. My idea is to add another 10 cell pack in series and charge that pack separately. The controller is rated for 48 volts, so I should be OK with the higher voltage. The specs on the pack describe it as a 36v 8aH pack. I would like to get the same exact cells to keep everything in balance. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Danny

Stleride
Stleride's picture
Re: What capacity "D" cells in the Crystalyte Journey pack

`dannytroy,
Welcome to our V is for Voltage Community, we're so glad your here.
There are several members here who are familiar with Crystalyte who I'm sure can answer your question.
This may help?
nimhsmall.jpg
The 36volt pack is shown below with the cells out of the case, there are 30 'D' size cells (33mm*56mm) in the 36volt 8ahr pack.

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide Forum Support.

`

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are members of our very dedicated community volunteer <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/106-our-community-volunteers">V Team</a> who help keep our <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/251-poli

reikiman
reikiman's picture

It's not real clear from their site ... however on their "Battery Boxes" page they show two sizes; 8ah and 13ah

So... 8ah cells are usually D, while 13ah cells are usually F. At least that's what I gather from having perused batteryspace.com for several years.

- David Herron, http://davidherron.com/

dannytroy

Yes,they are definitely D size cells, and that's apparent when I disassembled the pack. I found a couple of nice 10ah 10 cell packs. I'm wondering if the 10ah capacity will pose a problem, mixing them with the 8ah pack. I would charge the 10ah pack separately, so that wouldn't be a problem. I suppose in use the 8ah cells would deplete faster that the 10ah cells. But unlike lithium cells I don't think the 8ah cells would be damaged taking them down too far. Of course the answer would be to get my hands on a 10 cell pack of the same exact cells, but I haven't seen 8ah nimh D cells in pack form. I'll see if I can contact Crystalyte directly.

Danny

Use code&quot;Solar22&quot; and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage