Renault Kangoo plug-in-hybrid

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
founder
Renault Kangoo plug-in-hybrid

I had the opportunity for a short test drive of a Renault Kangoo plug-in-hybrid

http://car.pege.org/2007-ever-monaco/renault-kangoo-2.htm

The car has a 24 kWh Lihtium based battery. A special engine system for paralell / serial hybrid

http://car.pege.org/2007-ever-monaco/hybrid-engine-kangoo.htm

The energy consume is

14,4 kWh / 100 km city traffic
19,6 kWh / 100 km outsiede a town traffic

in the electric only mode. French post hast ordered 10.000 units for post delivery.

jstack6
jstack6's picture
Re: Renault Kangoo plug-in-hybrid

Here in the Phoenix AZ area a company that tests and evaluates vehicles has a Kangoo. The comapny is eTec and they have had it about 1 year. It can go about 60 miles all electric and has a backup ICE with a 2 gallon tank. They have only filled it uo once since Dec 2006.

It uses NiCD wetcells whic the Epic Dodge tEVans also used. They are said to last 40 years. That type of battery is also used in Military applications like the A10 jet fighter and huey helicopters. They are very good with non memory affect like dry cell NiCADs. You have to pay to recycle them when they finally dies 40 years from purchase since they can be hazardous with Cadmium in them.

Very impressive. It's years ahead of GM with the E-Flex concept since they are real ! Too bad we can't buy them in the USA. It would be nice to see NiMH or Li-Ion battery options too.

It's also roomy and can sit 5 . Not as slick as my 05 Prius but very nice. I hope to make my Prius into a plug-in as soon as lithium A123 battery packs are available in 2008.

founder

The NiCd Renault Kangoo is an older conversion. The new one has 24 kWh Lithium batteries.

This decreased also electric power consumption, because the Lithium base batteries have a higher load and discharge efficiency than the NiCd

BTW I just start to translate my IAA 2007 fair report... Coming soon...

davew
davew's picture

I had the opportunity for a short test drive of a Renault Kangoo plug-in-hybrid

Kick ass! I'd buy one tomorrow if I could. Maybe the mere threat of someone importing these will be enough to get the other car makers into gear.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

founder

AFIAK from the EVER Monaco fair March 2007, they just sell now only to big fleet users. So french post has ordered 10.000.

When you know a fleet user with at last some hundred cars demand, chances should be good.

End users maybe 2009.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage