Schwinn Meridian Adult 26-Inch 3-Wheel Bike

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
johnnyfoos
johnnyfoos's picture

I have this trike-
I'd listen/read anybodies ideas or thoughts on powering this.

First- No hub motors or kits. (Unless you have one to give away)

Parts-(on hand), a "my1018" 250watt motor, a 2HP 120 VDC treadmill motor and its electronics, (sort of, I've taken this all apart a few years back, electronics spread around a bit, but speed controller still all together but don't think it could be of use?), A few little kids bikes for parts (frame and cranks n sprockets ect), a freewheel sprocket from exercise bike its crank n sprocket, a couple kick scooters, a 12 VDC 42LBs thrust trolling motor w/dial speed controller w/reverse,(type for outdrive mounting and operated from the steering wheel) a 42 Lb bow mount type also less mount with cable type foot steering
Anyway lots of stuff/junk to work with
Thanks
:)

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
Re: Schwinn Meridian Adult 26-Inch 3-Wheel Bike

I have electrified 2 different 3 wheelers. The first was a Miami Sun Adult 3 wheeler the second was an EZ-3 also mad by sun. The first is not unlike the 3 wheeler you have. I took the guts out of a scooter (350 watts @ 36-volts) to build my first one. I removed the wire basket from the back an built a wooden box on the back. I placed the motor, controller, batteries in the bottom of the box connecting an additional freewheel sprocket to the rear axle for the motor to drive. See pictures on My Bicycle Pages. The first attempt was slow but got the job done, it ran about 15 MPH for about 23 miles. Now I have purchased a 900 watt scooter which I plan to build on the EZ-3 in place of the current 500 watt motor.

Chas S.
My Bicycle Pages

johnnyfoos
johnnyfoos's picture

Chas-
I would like ask you a question about your first EV trike-
"the 3-speed hub used by the motor"
I've looked at your pictures and would like to know if the hub you used had
"THE COASTER BRAKE", or if not. Also if it did, did you use this brake or not and do you think it could be used or not.
I've been looking at them on E_gay and wonder about the type I should be trying to get?
One more, "An extra 22-tooth freewheel was placed on the axel,", I have a "DICTA BRAND" by "LIDA MACHINERY & IND CO., LTD." 16 tooth freewheel thats on a 1 1/2", (just the shaft thats behind the sprocket), short hollow shaft thats about 3/4" ID. This is from an old workout type bike. I'd like to use this and not have to buy something else but I do have a few kids bike sprockets and could figure out some thing.

Thanks
:)

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture
    I would like ask you a question about your first EV trike-"the 3-speed hub used by the motor" I've looked at your pictures and would like to know if the hub you used had "THE COASTER BRAKE", or if not. Also if it did, did you use this brake or not and do you think it could be used or not.

Yes, it does have a coaster brake but it can not be used. You would need to be able to reverse the motor and control the torque which would be very hard to do. I also have a freewheel between the motor and the drive sprocket on the 3 speed hub so I would have to remove it to reverse the chain on the 3 speed drive sprocket. Short answer (The coaster brake is worthless.)
dot_black.gif

I've been looking at them on E_bay and wonder about the type I should be trying to get?

I have used the 3-speed, 4-speed and the 7-speed Nexus hubs with great success.
dot_black.gif

One more, "An extra 22-tooth freewheel was placed on the axel,", I have a "DICTA BRAND" by "LIDA MACHINERY & IND CO., LTD." 16 tooth freewheel thats on a 1 1/2", (just the shaft thats behind the sprocket), short hollow shaft thats about 3/4" ID. This is from an old workout type bike. I'd like to use this and not have to buy something else but I do have a few kids bike sprockets and could figure out some thing.

I do not know the parts you are referring to. I only know the axle on the Sun Trikes are 15mm Dia. and my local bike shop orders the freewheel adapter to fit the axle for me. A standard freewheel sprocket fits the adapter. I used 2 of these adapters on the axle so the peddles are on one and the motor is on the other.

As far as brakes go the EZ-3 has a disc brake. These hubs do come with a strap style brake which could be used but then you would need a fixed sprocket on the axle so when you stop the hub the axle will also stop.

Take a look at some of the trike parts on Davesbikes.com. This is another source for parts.

Good Luck
Chas S.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage