New Jersey Registration of XM-2000

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rebbe
New Jersey Registration of XM-2000

Hi Everybody:
I am new to the list, though I have been lurking for a while reading up on the xm-2000 threads.
I am taking delivery of the xm-2000 here in New Jersey (I'll report back the condition upon arrival)...
In antcipation of getting the XM I have asked three different sources the question: "what are the requirements for xm's registration?" The answers, in order were:
1) from the DMV helpline in Trenton: "You cannot ride an electric (I think I had called it a scooter) anywhere in NJ (!)"

2) From someone behind the counter at the local DMV: "Ask Trenton"

3) a random cop in my town: "No problem, just register it as...well I don't know. Ask Trenton."

The new jersey Dmv site gives a fascinating history of the electric car--but says nothing about electric vehicles... A moped is defined as having pedals.
in some sense I *want* to register it--so I don't get hassled on the local roads...I am wondering what the best first regiostration approach should be. I want to know what I am trying for to avoid putting myself in the hands of whatever bureaucrat is at window #3....

Any Jersey registration help out there?

thanks in advance

rebbe

davew
davew's picture
Re: New Jersey Registration of XM-2000

Well, you asked DMV and a COP, definitely two of the WORST entities to go to for legal opinions on any subject. They are not lawyers, a lawyer practices law, they practice vehicle registration and law enforcement, but don't know the law, or they would have gone to law school and passed the state bar.

This may be true, but the DMV in our little corner of paradise has ultimate say over what gets registered/titled and what doesn't. The laws can be confusing and contradictory especially where states like Colorado have done a clumsy job of trying to ban kid's pocket bikes.

I like usatracy's the idea of familiarizing yourself with the law as much as possible before going in. The DMV people are human and can be persuaded to see things your way if you are well informed and polite. The other thing I'll point out is your bike needs to be registered in your county, but not at any particular DMV. If one office says no, you can always try another. I also had good luck by contacting my local State representative. A call from him got things moving much more smoothly. .. and it was free!

--
Full time ebiker
BionX and Wilderness Energy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

davew
davew's picture

Does NJ law say anything about wheel size? Everything was going my way in Colorado, the title application was in the works, then someone noticed that anything electric with wheels smaller than 14" could not be registered. This flatly contradicted another section of the law, but I lost that argument.

--
Full time ebiker
BionX and Wilderness Energy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Rebbe

Friends:
This will be a brief post but I wanted to let you know that my 'snitzitz' ;) (xm-2000) arrived yesterday in PERFECT condition. The box had a a couple of nasty-looking holes in it, but everything was fine. She was charged up and ready to go...

A totally non-technical fact: on the way home I got feisty on a straightaway and danged if the speedometer didn't read 55 (!)Of course, it ma be a wacko speedometer, but just thought I'd share.

One question and a comment: Starting from the beginning: is there a down-side to registering the 2000 as motorcycle beside possible insurance premium implications, annual registration fee, and requirement to get an endorsement--which I have?
What am I missing?

the observation I want to offer is simply that there is such tremendous knowledge, generosity, and potential for goodwill on this list--it seems a shame to deliver information to each other as if it were an assault weapon.

I am very grateful for all the help I've gotten just in last few days...

I guess I am simply saying: let's be nice to each other. It doesn't cost anything...

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage