Just wanted to give my impressions of my 5kw Erider thunder after about two weeks of ownership.
1st of all, when it comes to my experience with EV's I have owned a 2000 w scooter for about a year, and I am an Electrical Engineer so I do have some knowledge about these systems.
I bought the scooter on an auction, it is listed as MY2010, but some bits and pieces indicates that it could in fact be a MY11.
- 5000 kw motor
- 24 GBS LiFeMnPo4 cells with BMS
- Range about 60km hi, 100 km lo speed (speced), havent tried max range yet but 35 kms was no problems.
- Weight 130 kg
So far I have found a couple of pros and cons.
- BMS included
- Range. Good enough for me anyway
- Looks nice
- Fairly powerful (like approximately a 125cc scooter)
- Good with Lo/Hi setting (not only as limp home mode, but for low speed situations where a less sensitive throttle is conveinent)
- Voltage meter as one option for the display (good to have since battery range meter is useless)
- Quick connectors for hall sensors and motor current cables for easier exchange of rear wheel
- Very loud humming at start (with resonance from plastic cover as well)
- Range meter is crap (basically always blinking at two out of ten bars for me)
- Poorly balanced front wheel (I will get that fixed)
- Center stand does not fold up completely by itself(spring is too weak I think)
- Low beam is way to low (!) Can hopfully easily be adjusted.
What is best compared to my 2kw scooter I had before is undoubtely speed and range. I can now actually keep up with traffic relatively easily, and a couple of extra km's of range is always good to have if charging opportunities are sparse.
Maybe I would like a bit better acceleration of the mark. Another user here has upgraded his 5kw scooter with a 350 A kelly controller, so that may be something I will look into later on.
I already have some planned fixes and mods:
1. Balance the front wheel.
2. Mount top case (a white GIVI E300 has been bought).
3. Mount two positioning lights (two 150Lumen LED DRL's) for visiblity and extra lightning.
I'll also look into mounting a clock/thermometer.
For the future I am looking into a new controller and maybe a CA or similar for better battery information...