ERider 8000W scooter - Australia (similar to xm5000li)

992 posts / 0 new
Last post
pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture
Re: ERider 8000W scooter - Australia (similar to xm5000li)

I wouldn´t worry too much about adding a shunt, a typical one is 0.5 mOhm (0.0005), about the same resistance as in 1m of 35mm2 (AWG2) copper cable. :-)

Yep, that's exactly right Johnny.

My Shunt is 0.25mOhm (0.00025 ohms) this means that at 74.5v under 115A load, the resistor (shunt) is only taking 3.3watts away from the motor. So 8250watts - 3.3 = 8246.7watts to motor.....in other words, pretty much nothing

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

IFIMotors

Dear Happy Customers
My name is Tzahi Ziv and IFI Motors is the importer for Plugin Drive Tech in Israel.
Thank you for the positive feedback, I want to make it clear that the scooters you are riding are Plugin Drive Tech (PDT) development and design.
www.plugindrivetech.com
We did our best in bringing the scooter to this fun ride and friendly use. You are riding a product that we invested and developed for the last 3 years. We are bringing more improvements soon to this product.
Today PDT is used in Israel with heavy food delivery chains such as Pizza Hut, Moses and others. We have scooters since 2009 with 10000km to 20000km with more.
To your knowledge the Sevcon controller is used as the power unit all managing and surrounding features are managed by PDT system.
Good luck and safe ride.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Well you seem to have done a pretty good job so far. I've just about hit 600km in this first week and just did my first 54km ride at 100km/h all the way on a single charge and still had 10km left in the battery.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

IFIMotors

thank you
any comment will be thank full, we are looking at a 84v driveline for a Maxi scooter.
as i have more information on improvments and new products i will forward it to Eric.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

@IFIMotors: Yes, yours has been the best job so far on Mujin "Mountain" Chen's bikes. Keep up the good DEVELOPMENT work that he himself appears to have trouble with doing himself!!!
84V would probably require a different motor though, the 13in 5...8kW Xiamen ZAP/Erider motor is taken to it's thermal limits with 120A continuous even when only using a 24 cell battery pack...
Today I got my Thunder back from the dealer with the low-cost alternative to your PDT spec, a Kelly KEB72801X instead of the KBL72201 that was in it originally. We also reduced maximum Battery current to around 120A to keep maximum current at similar levels as before (I would love to see my battery pack survive 5 full years of rigorous use!), but startup is now practically unlimited (at least I no longer feel any limitation) and the bike for the first time takes off the way I expect it should (with well over 160Nm of stall torque with even just over 60A motor current...) - yeeeeha! But is still can get started rather gently when just stroking the "throttle", so my winter driving (now with dedicated winter tires, IRC Urban Snow) should still be possible from the contoller perspective. The GBS batteries are a different matter...
@pacarlson: As for the tires, the original Cheng Shin tires are quite acceptable on dry roads, but on wet roads they soon can get very tricky. I strongly encourage you to put on better quality all-weather tires. I am not sure what is available in Australia, but around here the best all-weather 13in scooter tires come from a pretty small manufacturer called "Heidenau", located in eastern Germany. I rode on their K62 all-season tires for 6 full years, in ALL four seasons, and they work very well both on dry and whet roads and even have quite acceptable grip on snow:
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/modules/reifenliste/view.php?point=4&rtyp=14&profil=54&pic=51
And where did you get your shunt for the Cycle Analyst? Is it this kind?
http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain/CA_Shunt.jpg
And be careful about ABS, it would be on the front wheel only and should be evident by an additional container-like apparatus down where the brake calipers are. All it does is reduce brake pressure so you in theory cannot lock the front wheel even on whet roads. But in no way is it a true pulsating type ABS. In any case, never hesitate to use the front brake for heavy braking, the rear brake cannot really put much retarding force on the road due to dynamic axle load moving heavily to the front during braking. Only on very slippery road conditions or in corners it is not advisable to use the front brake too much lest it lock up and throw you off your bike on a whim.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

IFIMotors

Well I rather not look at it as improving Mountain product, it’s more of a totally different product.
We are changing all the functions and adding new improvements:
• Motor terminal connections
• Reverse
• Start enabling
• Side stand and charging disable
• Smart regen
• Smart battery meter
• On board information – system fault, side stand/kill switch and scooter enable/disable.
• Motor heat protection and other protection limits

The most important is a reliable drive line that can last long and can stand heavy use without any heat problems.

Concerning the 84V more information will come soon.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

I know what you are talking about, as I am up that same alley, though with very limited possibilities. But I am an automotive development engineer with a background both in internal combustion engines AND energy technology, and I see real DEVELOPMENT to be the most lacking aspect of even the best Chinese E-Scooter assemblers.
At least I have reverse too now, and a controller that is more in tune with the capabilites of the motor and finally makes the bike come into it's own. If you allow I would like to comment on your (surely non-exhausitve) list of improvements:
• Motor terminal connections: Excellent feature, an absolute MUST particularly for fleets and for such extreme riders as me who ride year-round even in winter and snow. Having to disassemble the motor from the swing arms for every tire change is as such already hassle enough, so this feature is an absolute necessity. Given that it remains electrically and mechanically inert to weather and riding forces...
• Reverse: nice to have, and in my case very handy because I must push the bike back several meters every day and that helps in the process.
• Start enabling: This feature I am not absolutely convinced of. There is already enough switching to do when starting the bike, as I do not want to fry my "ignition" switch with the lights being on all the time. If I have the bike turned on and put it off the main stand in that state I make sure I grip the throttle appropriately to not accidentally accelerate the motor in the process. I KNOW the bike is ready to go as soon as I turn it on (even though of course I hear nothing, but hey, this is an electric bike!), so at least for me I see no need for such an additional enabling.
• Side stand and charging disable: What does charging disable mean in this context? I assume it has nothing to do with the side stand... That an extended side stand shuts off power to the motor is standard and required by law, at least in the EU.
• Smart regen: Smart in the sense of also not damaging the battery cells with too much quick and strong discharge/charge cycles while driving? The way I understand current LiFePO4 chemistry strong regen can eventually damage the cells. What I also find problematic is to reserve the low throttle range to regeneration and the higher range to forward power. Even the patented Vectrix solution with an intermediate default position is not absolutely ideal and requires start enabling as it would not be possible to take the bike safely from it's main stand with power on. The best solution in my eyes would be some hydraulic slack in the rear brake only and a position sensor in the lever to enable porportional regeneration up to a maximal limit BEFORE the brake calipers start their thermo-mechanical job (I think I may have to file a patent for this idea - too late now, it is now common knowledge :-) Why only the rear brake? Because with bikes the rear brakes must be handeled with great care, and there are situations when even slight regen on the rear wheel might be unsafe. THAT would be smart regen accoridng to my liking :-)
• Smart battery meter: If it was a counting device like the Cycle Analyst then it would be almost untoppable. A truly smart battery meter in my eyes should incorporate a battery simulation, taking into account actual cell temperatures, charge- and discharge currents and voltages as well as any BMS activities and self discharge, and maybe cell impedances as well. And time as well as distance travelled to provide the basis to sum up against. A data set of different charge and discharge gradients at different temperatures and currents of the cells in use would also be necessary for this approach to work. A GPS/Navigation device with topographic info in it would be the basis of the ultimate range predicter... Am I asking a lot? I think yes, but only with such an approach would a smart battery meter be smart enough to inform the rider of how far he/she can actually go. I think some of the high end E-Bike developers are already thinking along those lines...
• On board information – system fault, side stand/kill switch and scooter enable/disable.: Info is always a good thing and could reconcile me with an additional enabling switch, as some warning light could inform me that it was not pressed yet instead of leaving me preplexed at times why the stupid bike won't move when I want it to. It happened to me several times that someone had operated the kill switch on my former ICE scooter, and even though the starter was happily cranking the engine it didn't come to life. A red warning light in the dashboard was eventually the reminder of what was amiss.
• Motor heat protection and other protection limits: highly important, particularly when combining a given motor with higher-powered batteries and controllers as you are doing.

"The most important is a reliable drive line that can last long and can stand heavy use without any heat problems."
Amen to that. Electric vehicles are a pretty pricy commodity and all reasonable measures must be taken to ensure the investment is able to pay for itself via the lower operating costs.

My rides:

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Hi MEroller,

By charge disable i think he's talking about while the charger is still plugged in the bike can not be driven.

With my scooter there are 2 LEDs on the dashboard. The bottom red one means the charger is connected and the top one is red for charging and green when finished. To start my bike you turn key to on and a green light flashes on the handle bars. You then need to hit a yellow starter button near right thumb. And if the kick stand is up, and the charger is unplugged, the green light goes solid. It's a requirement here in Australia. I like it because if either the kick stand is down or charger is down, the bike won't start. It has saved me once. I took the bike off the center stand and hitting the starter button and it wouldn't go. I look behind me and here's a big curly cord, OOPS!

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

thank you
any comment will be thank full, we are looking at a 84v driveline for a Maxi scooter.
as i have more information on improvments and new products i will forward it to Eric.

Ok I have a question for you IFImotors.

I went for a ride up a steep hill to a lookout here in Canberra the other night. Once we got up we turned the bikes off for about 15 minutes. Then when riding back down the hill I was riding behind Amanda on her scooter at 40km/h keeping an eye out for kangaroos. All was going good until half way down, we were using regen to keep our speed as it is very steep. It was producing 15 to 25A of regen when all of a sudden my regen stopped and I sped up quickly (gravity) then regen would come back in, then stop again. Every time regen stopped, the green light behind the reset button for the trip meter flashed. This only affected my bike and not amandas. I'm guessing because of my weight. Is this because there was too much regen happening? I did regen around 1.4Ah (about 2km) on the way down.

I don't mind that it cut in and out, I was just not expecting it. So did it cut out because of too much regen or does the flashing green light in the trip meter button mean something else?

Anyway, Amanda and I drove another 20km together yesterday. I then came home to get a few things and charged while I could, and then at the end of the day I had clocked up another 68km. I must be up to 700km by now?!

My only complaint with the bike would be the headlights. I just can't get anything that is good enough to drive safely at night. It looks like the reflectors are just not designed well enough. But apart from that, I love these little scooters.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

LeftieBiker

My *guess* is that you were heating the batteries too much with regen charging, and the controller was trying to keep them from overheating by cutting the regen off as needed. Prius battery packs can heat up a lot just from going down long hills and using regen...

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Yeah it probably was something getting a bit hot.

Ok so I hooked up my cycle analyst to a hall sensor and it works perfect up until about 63km/h and then reads 0km/h.

I measured the diameter of the wheel to be 1500mm and I set the cycle analyst to 28 poles. Any suggestions? Maybe if I change the number if poles to 14 and have a 3000mm wheel.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

IBScootn

Did you remove capacitor C6 per the manual? Our maxiscooters have too many revs/sec so just clip or unsolder C6.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

antiscab

My *guess* is that you were heating the batteries too much with regen charging, and the controller was trying to keep them from overheating by cutting the regen off as needed

The controller does not monitor battery temperature...., in fact I doubt even single cell voltages are monitored

charging at 25A won't cause any measurable heating either.

It's possible the battery voltage was getting too high, but at such a low regen rate that would be surprising aswell

how fully charged was the battery when you were coming down hill?

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Did you remove capacitor C6 per the manual? Our maxiscooters have too many revs/sec so just clip or unsolder C6.

Well I unsoldered C6 as stated in the CA website and your post and the speed is totally glitchy now. The speed seems about right when the rear wheel is off the ground but when sitting on the bike, the speed can fluctuate anywhere from 100km/h to around 800km/h. I changed the number if poles to 99 and wheel size to 35mm and this lowered the speed close correct but slowing down from 20km/h the speed increases and then decreases as it wants. I may need to put in a different value capacitor to smooth out the speed info.

Does anyone know what value the original capacitor was?

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture
My *guess* is that you were heating the batteries too much with regen charging, and the controller was trying to keep them from overheating by cutting the regen off as needed

The controller does not monitor battery temperature...., in fact I doubt even single cell voltages are monitored

charging at 25A won't cause any measurable heating either.

It's possible the battery voltage was getting too high, but at such a low regen rate that would be surprising aswell

how fully charged was the battery when you were coming down hill?

Matt

I had used 17.2Ah when I started coming down the hill. At the bottom of the hill I had 15.9Ah consumed so I gained about 1.3Ah

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

antiscab

I had used 17.2Ah when I started coming down the hill. At the bottom of the hill I had 15.9Ah consumed so I gained about 1.3Ah

hmmm, do you remember how high the voltage was getting?
I would expect the batteries could take it....maybe something may have caused it

That must have been some hill :D

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

IFIMotors

Hi and good day
back working (Sunday for us)
the green Led on the reset is the fault indicator.
by counting the blink cycle we can know what fault caused it.
if it happnes again, please try to count the blinks TKS

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Hi,

I don't remember what the voltage got to nor how many times the light flashed.

But I got an email back from Jason about the cycle analyst. Capacitor 6 originally was 33nF and suggested I should try a 10nF capacitor instead. I will try and get one tomorrow, but it's a public holiday so I may be out of luck.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

LeftieBiker

If my Cycle Analyst doesn't work right with that capacitor removed, I'm going to be royally PO'd. The damned thing has cost me way too much as it is, and I never really needed it - the bike died on me because of misaligned brake microswitches, not low battery charge. The er, folks (edit) at Grin Technologies suggested I get this model (standalone) for the ZEV after telling me that the direct plugin wouldn't work, and then left the capacitor in. The direct plugin model would have been *better* than the standalone, as both have to have the cable ends stripped anyway, and with the DP it's just one cable, not two. I wouldn't mind if it were because they were in a rush to ship it, but they didn't get it in the mail for *four days*, despite my paying for rush shipping. They refunded the shipping charge...

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Thanks pcarlson for the compentent answer on behalf of IFIMotors! I could indeed live with the Start Enabling the way it was implemented by PDT, but I would have to install an extra button for reverse then as I have abused the start button for reverse at the moment.
So how does reversing work on your bike?

My rides:

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Thanks pcarlson for the compentent answer on behalf of IFIMotors! I could indeed live with the Start Enabling the way it was implemented by PDT, but I would have to install an extra button for reverse then as I have abused the start button for reverse at the moment.
So how does reversing work on your bike?

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention, once the bike has started, if you hold the "starter button" and twist the throttle this engages reverse.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention, once the bike has started, if you hold the "starter button" and twist the throttle this engages reverse.

Ah, ok, that is a double function switch then. I bet the original makers of that start button never envisioned it would one day be used for activating reverse :-)

My rides:

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Yay!!

The electronic shop was open today and I got my 10nF capacitor. I soldered 2 wires in place of C6 on the cycle analyst board and then to the cap. Yay! I now have a perfect (GPS certified) speedo.

But I must say I'm very dissapointed in the accuracy of the mechanical speedo on these bikes. When I'm doing 80km/h (CA screen & GPS) the scooter speedo reads 95km/h, which is pretty close to top speed. So it looks like this 8000w scooter has a top speed of around 85km/h. But I'll have to test that.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Also the digital trip meter is not accurate either. Honestly, you could replace EVERYTHING in that dash with a Cycle Analyst screen. Perfectly accurate power reading and speed, trip, and odometer.

Now I have the speed input connected to my cycle analyst I will be able to give you some wh/km readings soon.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

LeftieBiker

Sadly, there is a longstanding tradition of both motorcycle and scooter speedometers being very "optimistic." I'm guessing that if your trip meter is off by a lot, then my odometer is probably off as much as the speedo. That takes about 5-10% off my actual range. Have you checked your main odometer?

IFIMotors

5% to 10% inaccuracy is normal in automotive, I will check is as well
Thanks

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Ok,

So here's an update. Before I modified my cycle analyst it would max out around 70km/h because with 28 poles there was more than 600 pulses a second so I needed to replace Capacitor C6 from a 33nF to a 10nF. I firstly removed C6 but the speedo was useless saying I was going 800km/h in my driveway, so removing C6 was NOT going to work for me. So I installed my new 10nF capacitor and it now works perfect!

The analogue speedo on this scooter is VERY "optimistic". I rode out to the highway and going DOWNHILL I went as FAST as I possibly could, the dashboard speedo told me I was doing about 110km/h as it was WAY past the 100 mark. But the Cycle Analyst was saying 89.5km/h. GPS also said my max speed was 89.5km/h so I'm happy the Cycle Analyst gives a true speed reading now.

Here is the cycle analyst board and C6 is near the top left. It is a surface mount cap which is annoying.
CA board.png

Here's the replacement 10nF cap which increases the Cycle analysts top speed from 70km/h to around 280km/h
IMG_4647.jpg

Well I went for a 1hour 40 minute ride around Canberra last night covering ALL of the major centres. It was a nice calm night and riding silently through the city was great. I ended up riding from home, into my office, into the city, out to the industrial zone where our Harvey Norman and those sort of shops are, then to south Canberra where there's another shopping district, back into the city and then north canberra to the farthest north shopping district and then back home. All up it was 80.4km and I used 46.33Ah keeping in mind it was at night so my headlights were on all the time. I was just keeping a nice and easy 60km/h speed

The trip of my ride: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1319965

IMG_4645.PNG

and my Cycle analyst and trip meter after the ride.
IMG_4644.jpg

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

IFIMotors

I will do this testing as well and send you my records. Normally there is a 10% difference between the GPS and any vehicle.

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

The speedometer seems like the same ones we had on our VK2008 scooters and when tested with GPS we got about the same results as pcarlson.
And it´s not really true that there is a 10% difference between GPS and any vehicle, I tried the same GPS in a car (Volvo) and they matched perfectly, but you are right as well, in a test with 40 different cars done a few years ago it showed a 3-7% difference (higher) from real speed.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

I will do this testing as well and send you my records. Normally there is a 10% difference between the GPS and any vehicle.

Not here in Australia. All my cars have only been about 2 or 3km/h off when going 100km/h. 2 or 3%, not 10%. But this scooter speedo is out by up to 18% which is horrible. My $5 bicycle speedo that uses a magnet is more accurate.

The top speed on flat ground was about 82km/h. But damn it chews the Amps at those speeds.

If there is anyone "developing" these scooters, here's some hints on how to make is faster and better.

* increase voltage to around 132v with a 115A limit. (15kw). Top speed will be about 130km/h
* install a way to switch the motor from delta to star configuration to use less power and get a higher top speed. This can be done just by switching the phase windings with some contactors. Delta (default) winding is good for torque but not high speed. Star is better for high speed, uses less power at high speed, but it lacks torque.
* active BMS (which is coming). Good. Thumbs up!

After looking inside the scooter, there us a LOT of room for extra batteries with the help of brackets. Maybe even get rid of the under seat area.

A question to IFImotors, this 8.5kw motor, what voltage can it handle?

All in all, even with the drawbacks of this scooter (speedo, limited speed) I must say I am still very happy with my purchase. I just wish I had a few more amps on my controller to help me up the steep hills. If I wanted a FAST electric bike, I'd go chain driven, but this thing is perfect for shopping, going to work and friends houses. Even though the top speed is 89.5km/h, I don't like that speed because it feels too fast.

So,
IFImotors - great job on the motor
ERider & PDT- great job putting the bike together using a combination of controller, batteries and soon, BMS.

This is EASILY my favorite vehicle I've ever owned, and it costs next to nothing to operate. The rego ($180/year) is more than electricity to run it!

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging