CANBUS cable for Laird's software?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture
CANBUS cable for Laird's software?

I'd like to upgrade to The Laird's charging software, but I need to hunt down a CANBUS cable. The problem is, I'm seeing a lot of options on amazon when I search, and I want to get the right one. Is this what I should use:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378565658&sr=8-3&keywords=can...

If not, can someone post an amazon or eBay listing for exactly what I should be using?

JimmyB
Re: CANBUS cable for Laird's software?

Alas that's not it - at that price I wish it was!

The one most people seem to have is this one:

http://gridconnect.com/can-usb.html

They do come up on eBay occasionally (I got one last week which should arrive shortly).

Cheers!

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I am trying to trade in my Vectrix for a 2013 Zero DS, and if I do I will have the canbus cable up for sale.
I am in the Netherlands if anyone close is interested.
So if you have a few weeks patience...

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture

$255. Ouch. Anyone in the Los Angeles/Orange County area have one they'd like to share??

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

israndy
israndy's picture

It does get you a 10% discount still ($25)

-Randy

Kocho

Can someone explain why we need a $250 cable and the $15 ones won't work? In laymen terms, please? I can understand pin layouts etc. but that's about all I know... Isn't a serial port somewhat standard, so, what is special about the $250 cable that the others don't have FOR OUR application?

I know it's easy to just go with one that everyone else uses, but I want to find out why.

Thanks!

MEroller
MEroller's picture

It is not just pins of one connector routed to other pins on another connector. Certain changes in the signals also need to be made, and that is were the difference in complexity and thus price comes in: certain chipsets used in such adapter cables will work with some simpler devices, while they won't with other, more complex ones, because they do not do the whole job neceassary for full functionality. Other chipsets may do the job 100%, and thus are also sold at far higher prices.

It is similar with the far simpler problem of emulating a RS232 port at a modern USB port: for example the cheap one that Kelly Controls sell for programming their controllers will not always work dependably, and most of the time the initial handshake already goes wrong. A RS232-USB adapter cable with a better chipset (and thus also more expensive) works perfectly every time, all the time.

Now CAN bus is a far more complex and powerful data medium than anything ever transported by RS232, thus also needing far more computing power for the transformation process necessary to make a programming tool understand it AND "speak" to it from a USB port. And such complex cables will not be made in as large quantities, thus making them even more expensive to produce and store before thy are finally sold.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Kocho

Thanks!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07