Bathot and false temperature reading

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture
Bathot and false temperature reading

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with the issue I'm having with my 2008 VX-1 Ni-MH.

My Vectrix is kept in a fairly insulated and ventilated garage. I've not been out riding for a few months since I had the MOT renewed. Every few weeks, my routine is to switch on to check the voltage and recharge if necessary and test all the switchgear and blip the throttle on the centre stand. This weekend I checked the voltage using the kill switch and left brake lever which was around 136V. I got a temperature reading of 60°C a few seconds after booting up and then the 'bathot' message and flashing red icon which I've not had before.

I've seen 60°C on the display some years ago but managed to sort that just by switching off and on again so presumably just a software bug. I know the battery isn't hot because it not been discharged in use or recharged for a numbers of weeks. I did attempt to recharge yesterday but after less than a minute it stopped, the display went off but the fans kept running. After that I unplugged it and repeated the same today, but got the same result. The ambient temperature over the weekend in my garage has been around 8-10°C. I made a some video clips here - https://youtu.be/48_HAcZTc-w

My issues sounds similar to the one mentioned in this thread from 2013. In early 2015 I had some work done due a thermal incident with one of the temperature sensors (as detailed on another thread here) so both temperature sensors and wiring along with the charger have been replaced already at a cost of over £700 for parts and labour. I was told at the time that the sensors were an improved version compared to the original ones.

Bit reluctant to spend any more money on it as I don't get the use, but still love it after over 9 years of ownership and don't want to part with it. Any cheap or simple fix suggestions appreciated. Would a hard reset that I've read about do anything? Does that involve unplugging the connection underneath at the front?

R
R's picture
Re: Bathot and false temperature reading

Hello, the tempboards may have problems.
As you'll update to lithium or sell your vectrix, there's no point in investing any cent in nimh technology.
The very first thing you need to do is to check all temperature readings with scoterdiag. If you don't have canbus cable, maybe somebody near you can help you. Check also what charger you have, you may flash a special firmware to ignore temperature readings. not the best solution, butit would keep the vectrix running.

VisVo

I also had the bathot problem. After a rainy drive one of my sensors reported temperatures above 30C and prevented the motor from being charged. The temperaturereading gradually went back to normal in the following days. The diagnostic software reported that this was happening to sensor 'Mod temp 1 4E'.
Is there documentation about where each sensor is located? Or is my only option to basically dismantel the entire motor and identify the sensors individually through the use of diagnostic software and a hot airgun?

I did find this board, and according to the manual and vectrixparts, this is a 'Temperature sensors for front pack of NiMH battery'-board.
http://www.shop.vectrixparts.com/media/products/067f2c7c943a4e273790102b6525c768/images/thumbnail/big_temp.jpg
Could someone explain to me where the sensors on that board are? And also, why is a naked (hv)circuitboard in the frame of a vehicle that gets damp?! Is it safe to cover it in liquid rubber or will this risk overheating the board?

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

You're probably right about the temperature boards. I have an untested copy of the software saved from Vectrix Scooter Scene, but I don't have the first clue on how to use it, nor do I have the required lead, or know any owner locally that does.

I gave charging another go today to see if anything would be different. As soon the speedometer needle finishes doing its twirl, I got a reading of 134V, the default 21°C and now both red flashing temperature and battery lights. The centre display went from CP000 to CP151 as the needle moves around to indicate 11 amps. That lasts 8 or 9 seconds (stil no change from the default 21°C) then all of a sudden charging stops, the headlamp switches on with both 2 green lamp symbols along with the 'Ready' state and the fans and display switch off. Another video clip is here.

I can't justify spending more money on it, so I guess that's it for the time being. I might look at upgrading to Li-ion at some point in the future if prices continue to drop and cell density improves.

VisVo

Hi MyVectrix, if your problem is moisturerelated as mine was, then there might be an easy solution.

As I mentioned in my earlier post i had a problem with high temperature readings as well, which happened after it stood outside for a few days under a motorcover in the rain, after which it would not charge anymore due to hot temperatures. When i measured the temperature a few days after I put the motor inside, the temperatures read 30C+ and each day one or 2 degrees less (it was drying).

I was a bit reluctant trying to find the issue myself given the fact that I have basically no experience with electronics, let alone lethal voltages, however, getting to the part where I was able to determine the problem was fairly easy. i havent checked your experience so i might mention stuff that is far below your level of knowledge,
but if you remove the seat, then the black plastic cover between the riders legs, then the trunk lock, you can remove the batterycover (may need to bend the trunkplastic a bit). In my case the sensor left on the batterypack is modtemp 1 4E, and right is modtemp 2 4E(, and I wasn't able to find other sensors). I tested this by using a hot air gun while looking at the readings on my laptop. I noticed that some of the bolts on the batterycells had some oxidation on them. Also i noticed various holes in the plastic sidepanels of the batterycompartment, as well as directly under the steeringwheel. I closed all these holes with liquid rubber (silicone would work just as fine) to prevent dampness inside the compartment. then I used plastic 70 spray to coat the sensors as well as the electronicboards with a waterproof coating. (but if you can get a hold of MG 422B, then this is probably better as it allowes for temperatures of 200C instead of 100C.)

I haven't driven it yet since then, but if what I did doesnt make it catch fire, I'm pretty sure that moisture will no longer be a problem for me. ATM it charges just fine.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage