Is anyone else still checking this site?

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
israndy
israndy's picture
Is anyone else still checking this site?

I feel such a fool every day when I look for new messages here.

Has everyone taken their bike out of storage and gotten it charged enough to turn on? Spring is here. It's time to start rolling.

This is the year I hope to finally make the conversion to Leaf batts, and employ my old NiMH batts for solar storage at the house/cabin. It's mostly just needing to pop the old batts out and put the new tested batts in, very heavy.

What are you guys doing with your bikes?

martinwinlow
Re: Is anyone else still checking this site?

Not much!

I'm trying to fix the motor controller PCB on my 2008 VX-1 but hope to get it going again for the season. I can't help feel these bikes will be collectable... one day and therefore worth keeping on the road.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

cminter

I was sure I registered with this site years ago but could not find myself or email address so I just made a new registration.
Yesterday I hooked up some solar panels to my VX-1 to bring the voltage from 12v to 95v. Disconnected, then plugged it normally and the bike started charging as it used to do over 5 years ago. That's right, it has sat in the corner collecting dust for over 5 years. The last time my wife used it to do a few errands and it left with a full charge but within 5 miles and a couple stops, the battery went to zero and she struggled getting home actually pushing the bike the last 1/2 mile. So i suspected shorted cells and parked it researching where I could get some leaf batteries. When I plugged it in a week later to charge it, i got nothing so it remained parked for over 5 years until I finally retired and I decided to do something with it.
Now today, I was searching somehow to get a service manual which i should have done a long time ago, but here we are and none of the links are functioning, sending to dead websites. I don't know how to pm someone and I assume if very few people check or monitor here, any message response may go unanswered for a long time or never.
So I am making a request if anyone can help me get a service manual. I found and downloaded the user's manual but that does nothing for any mechanic to actually do any diagnostic work.

Thanks in advance.

ZundappBella
ZundappBella's picture

I check once a week or so, never much new. Mine is up and running, rode it today, with a couple of Chrysler Pacifica modules in it. Does about 50 miles if I'm light on the throttle. I'm on the lookout for a couple more modules but I don't have a title for my bike so maybe I won't bother spending the money on it. I have it insured and run a plate from another bike so the worst will be $50.00 ticket. Got a couple extra controllers that I sent to Dugas Engineering to flash as the software was corrupt on them. He says they're good now but I haven't tried them.

prensel

Still checking now and then.
Converting to Leaf cells 20 modules with custom made brackets.
Forgot how to post images here...

===================================
My contribution to EV in The Netherlands
- Novox C20
- Vectrix VX-1 Li+ my2009 #2791
- Vectrix VX-1 Li my2011 #3228
- CityEl Fact4 / Mini El Cabrio
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

berndoz

Yes, absolutely. Though mine has not been running for a few year but hope to get hold of some Leafs in the future.
Brisbane, Aus.

pyjohnson

Yes, I still look most days.
Bike is still running, and as I'm now working from home it's gone into semi retirement.
Took it for it's MOT last month, only 125miles since the last one, that'll be the covid effect.
Hopefully get more miles on it this year.

Regards,
Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------
Central Scotland

nyandy

Yes , I check this site often , because i have two VX1 - with dead batteries and not enough time and knowledge to make the conversion to Leaf or another type of batteries. I would love to have more confidence to perform this conversion and I would appreciate some tips on this direction.

Andy

ZundappBella
ZundappBella's picture

I did mine Andy, I'ts not too difficult. I used two Chrysler Pacifica modules which gives me about 40 - 50 miles of range. Four modules will double the range. Mine came with no batteries installed so it was just a matter of dropping the two modules in, connecting a busbar between the two modules and connecting the cables. You need to check if you have the proper charger installed which will work with Lithium cells and what to do with the temp sensor wiring. Search this forum for info on that. Then you need to program the bike for the proper voltage. You will have to remove the old batteries obviously but it's not hard once that's done. I've since added cell monitors to make sure the cells are balanced which they are always very close. Very important to limit the inrush current when you first hook up the batteries but you only need to do it once (or if you ever need to reconnect them). This guy has some videos on using Leaf modules. https://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminNelson/videos.

PJD
PJD's picture

I'm probably the only non-Vectrix owner still occasionally checking in here. My Current C124 turns 10 years old this month - running better than ever on its 3 year old replacement pack.

I don't know if the only known Vectrix owner in my city, jimloganpa (Pittsburgh), still has his VX-1 w/LEAF battery conversion or not.

The amazing thing is that when this forum started 15 years ago- as a continuation for an earlier forum that was lost after it was raided by Albanian pirate hackers - the whole world of 2-wheel EVs seemed poised to bust wide open.... Not any more, unfortunately.

israndy
israndy's picture

Thanks everyone who replied, it was feeling a little lonely here.

cminter

I sent a reply to this original posting the next day but perhaps it was too long winded and wordy. The response was " waiting for moderator to review before posting."
So I am making another effort.
Shortened version is I used solar panels to charge my 5 year old dead nimh batteries, enough so the bike charger worked and now it is full. It sat because I am sure their are shorted cells and I read years ago that I need to do a Leaf conversion but have not been able to obtain the batteries yet.
I have used this forum for a lot of information but recently effort to obtain a service manual for the '07 VX-1.
So if anyone can help me with this endeavor, I would appreciate it.

martinwinlow

Hi,

Interestingly, I got both comments via my email subscription but only your second one is on the site. I don't think to many words matters much (otherwise half the stuff the Yanks put on here wouldn't work, either!)

Here's a link http://www.evbitz.uk/Other_Stuff....html - scroll almost to the bottom. If you have problems, left me know.

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

israndy
israndy's picture

"(otherwise half the stuff the Yanks put on here wouldn't work, either!)"

Noice!

Kevin_in_VA

I hop on here every several weeks to couple months to see what I've missed. Used to ride both my Vectrix and Suzuki V-Strom to work in the olden days, but teleworking drastically reduced all of my riding. I still need to install Dugas firmware on my Vectrix, and I'm hoping someone comes up with a super cheap and easy BMS setup that I can justify retrofitting to my 19-module Leaf pack.

I did see another Vectrix here in Alexandria that's been sitting outside for at least a couple winters. Contemplated buying it but don't really have space for another.

And Martin, you know us all too well...

Sam87

Hola, soy nuevo en el foro pero lo llevo siguiendo desde hace tiempo. Haceis una gran labor para todo el mundo !!!

Gracias por el foro!!!

prensel

super cheap and easy BMS setup that I can justify retro fitting to my 19-module Leaf pack.

I'm currently looking into modifiying the original Vectrix BMS boards.
These are available for cheap and can be used with pigtails to connect to for example Leaf cells.

Only problem with these original boards have is that they use a version(i believe version 2) of the BMS chip thas has factory defect in it.
this was fixed in version 3 of the same chip (they are pin compatible) so "probably'" be replacing the wrong chjip for the right one these boards can be used as they are.

- Novox C20
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

prensel

Hi all,

I currently have a working setup with the OEM BMS boards on a set of 20 Leaf modules.
Just pigtailed the BMS boards to the cells and mounted the boards on a lexan coverplate bolted on top of the modules.
This does just fit under the battery cover.

Unfortunally the latest Dugas firmware doesnt (yet) trigger the balancing mode when one of more cells are reaching their max cell values so that needs some attention.
In my case where the latest edition of the MagicBox controls the non-OEM charger it can read inidividual cell values and control balancing of the BMS and adjust the chargers current output accordingly.
So all in all this is one of the cheapest (and near OEM) BMS options available at this time.

In the process of uploading and fiddling with the several different firmware versions I managed to brick two motorcontrollers so I needed to flash them back to a working condition.
Luckily I had sourced all needed software and equipement for that so that wasnt a real show-stopper in the end..

I have to see what the effect is of the older (gen1) BMS chips but these could probably be replaced by gen2 versions if needed.

So again, more improvements to keep these VX's rolling into the future :-)

Paul

- Novox C20
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

Kevin_in_VA

Great to hear, Paul! Do you have any pictures of the setup? And what was the total cost of hardware?

freedomev

I'm a newbie here as recently came across a dead Vectrix having heard random things about it for a decade and looking online, it looks like an interesting ride.
It has just the right size wheels capabilities I need to make a nice Streamliner it looks like.
An other than the battery choice which at the time there was little choice, it looks like a great little rugged long lasting EV.
And it looks like able to put 3 Tesla or Bolt modules in it for 15-18kwh, 2 in the battery case and one on top of them. I have the Bolt modules but other modules like Volvo, etc are viable. I like LG cells having used a lot of Volt modules for EVs.
How wide is it inside the battery box? If 14" maybe I can fit 3 Bolt modules, 30 cells for 123vdc max inside it would be great.
I've wanted a Streamliner EV for a while but lacked a good chassis without oversized wheels that make a Steamliner harder, 2' longer to do, especially an EV one. So if I don't get this one or even if I do I'll be interested in another 1-2 in Florida, especially near Tampa for sale.
What is the max voltage for the stock battery pack? Minimum?
By being smaller I can make the Streaminer cabin smaller, lower cutting work, cost, weight, aero drag.
I'm amazed how low the prices are. And finding out they were sold in Florida meaning finally some old used E MCs to experiment in my mad way that are not 3k miles away! ;^))

Gerald Dycus

scooterguy

Hi all
I'm still checking here and still getting good info when my 2007 VX-1 has problems. Still driving it with 4 Pacifica modules. I had controller problems last fall. A burned phase terminal on the original controller. I found a used very low mileage controller on ebay, the new style terminals and thought I would be good for years but this spring the 40 amp fuses on the controller board blew while on a long ride and had to come and get it with my trailer. That is the second time it has crapped out. The first time it was gear oil leaking through the motor and getting on the encoder disc. Put in new seals last winter. It is now running fine on the original repaired controller but I do not trust it for long rides so it is my around town bike now. I recently sold my 2013 Brammo Empulse and bought a 2020 Zero SR/S Demo with 350 miles on it so that is my long distance bike now. I also have a chevy Spark EV, a couple of electric stand up scooters and an old Ego. I still like riding the Vectrix !

Drew
Drew's picture

Yup! Check in here just occasionally! I still have mine but they're laid up awaiting conversion at some point when time allows. My thoughts are that they will become future classics one day - usually most things that lead the field, are designed reasonably well and have a bit of a following - will eventually turn into classics, of some sort. Whether they become desirable classics, that's another story! For now, I'm content with rolling around in the family-friendly Nissan Leaf, though I did very much enjoy clocking up 60k+ miles on my Vectrix bikes.

The main reason I went rather silent was because life got rather complicated for us as a family three years ago, when my wife suffered a severe head/brain injury. She was lucky to survive (she was kicked in the head by a horse) and it was difficult looking after her and our four young children at the time. The bikes got put away and there they have stayed. I'm pleased to say that thankfully she is evidence of a walking, taking miracle and is continuing to do incredibly well.

Hopefully the bikes will see the light of day before too long. Just need to find some suitable Leaf cells or similar!!

All the best,

Drew

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I check in for a visit every once on a while but rarely login or reply.

Some of you may remember I had an original VX-1 Ni-MH that I purchased new in 2008. I had a number of years happy riding and managed to clock up over 16,000 miles on the original GP battery pack before things started going wrong. The first few years were faultless, only having the original 125A main fuse fail within the warranty period. After some years I had problems with the temperatures sensors failing, twice - the second time also taking out the on-board charger. The big repair bills starting coming in and I could not justify keeping my VX-1 on the road.

After riding just a handful of miles between MOTs I lost confidence in my VX-1, struggled to keep the battery gauge in sync and get any sort of decent range. Even when I was not riding regularly, I would check up on it, maybe switch it on and top up the charge occasionally. Did that one day and found it was totally dead. So, I decided enough was enough and it went up for sale on eBay in 2019. It didn't sell for as much as I would have liked (partly due to a time waster who messed me around), but it did eventually sell to an EV enthusiast which is what I'd hoped for. Have to say I do miss my VX-1 though.

Not longer after that, the company I used for repairs and servicing ceased any involvement with Vectrix. Can't blame them really as I can imagine there were probably only a handful of working VX-1s and some VX-2s regularly being ridden around the UK at the time.

I see that the Polish Vectrix Parts company are still offering new VX-1s with a choice of Li-Ion battery pack capacities. A nice as the newer battery tech and improved range may be, they do not look any different on the outside compared to when the first Vectrix company launched way back in 2007. Can't imagine they've been re-engineered with modern tech such as keyless start, CCS rapid charging, switchable riding modes, ABS / traction control, etc. like I've seen on some of the latest electric bikes and scooters.

Greatwhite

Parts...I’m looking for a left black rubber foot pad and a storage box light switch for a vx-!.

Thank you
David
Ohio, USA

freedomev

As a follow up today I picked up up my new to me a nice 07 VX1. Other than a broken passenger hand rail and few scratches, in great newish shape other than the battery so far.
The battery sat at 1.2vdc and the former owner had taken the battery terminal off. So I took my handy universal battery charger, a bridge rectifier plugged into 120vac with 150wt lightbulbs in parallel and in series with the positive like they charged up to 133vdc in a couple hours though at 3 amps, not much capacity. I'll cycle it a few times and see if enough to move the bike.
It started to get dark, rain so in the morning I'll start it up hopefully. I'm very impressed with how well it's done.
I have questions. What is the max NiMH peak charging voltage?
I'm thinking of 6kwh of Volt modules would be 148vdc because I have and love them running my EV trike pickup almost 3 yrs still in perfect, not good, balance without a BMS before a Honda Accord wanted it's spot at 50mph.
Another choice would be a 5kwh module, 123vdc or so I don't have at the moment. I sell Volt modules though lately haven't found packs for sale close enough to me.
A problem is I have short legs so I'll be lowering the seat 3"/75mm or so.
Has anyone done anything with tires? The stock PSI seems very low for an EV MC. Anyone running higher pressures or found better EV/range tires?
Finally a good look, sit on it and looks like easy to make much more aero again increasing range with just some clear plastic sheet body extensions on the lower half to hide the legs and a better windshield though sitting lower, it looked good for everything but the handlebars. And as clear it won't mess up it's good looks.
A nice KIS solution will come to me soon.

Gerald Dycus

scooterguy

I don't remember what the original packs charged to but you should be able to find all that info in some early posts. I used two Volt 48 volt modules for a couple of years and they worked fine. They fit right in the battery box. I use Dave Dugas's free firmware which allows you to customize the charger voltage for different cell counts. You would need a P-can adapter but if you have a Vectrix you really need one anyway. About $250 as I remember.

freedomev

Thanks scooterguy. I read a bunch of your posts, pics really helped.
I assume you mean you used 3 48vdc volt sections for 148vdc and 6kwh? Did you still have problems at that voltage? Highest voltage mentioned has been 164vdc.
Do you think a 5kwh module at 120vdc might work better? Plus I don't have to reassemble one. My goal is to get it running as a wish for a dying man who owned it so he can see it move or ride it if he can again. Later I'll likely go for a much larger pack. I'll have another 2.4kw charger for fairly fast charging, 1.5hr on a 5kwh pack. About as much time as I'd need to do something where I was going that far.
I found a major problem watching a disassemble a NiMH pack vid I noticed the temp board were not plugged together by someone before me, I got it partly disassembled, and now mine fires up to everything to ready but no go icon or moving. Are there any lockouts I've missed?
Anyone have any idea what might be stopping it from allowing motor movement? Something that might be relevant is the charger runs for a bit then turns off .I'd like to fix too. It does charge while on as voltage goes up..
It does come with a Canbus adaptor but haven't seen where it plugs in or a clue how to work it. But might be able to get someone to help. Does the VX2 use the same controller, etc?
Once I get it going switching the battery should be easy. I notice one lithium conversion likely didn't have the temp board lug used. Do you need the temp board harness to make it work with a new battery? Not looking forward to fishing them out of the nimh pack if I have to.
On another note I bet I can get the aero down to .22cd with some leg fairing extensions and an easy to make windshield all without hurting any body panels, etc or changing it's looks one would notice. Though due to short, weak legs I'll likely have to take the rear body off so I don't have to cut it so I can sit lower, more feet forward, less air drag, lower frontal area. Might be able to get range of 40mph at 60mph.
Is there a service manual online for the VX1?
As handicapped I see the kickstand lockout switch will be a PITA as I need to motor off it and use it at a light, etc of any length of time. So is it normally open when the kickstand is up? Can I just unplug it?
Thanks for any help,
Jerry

Gerald Dycus

scooterguy

Hi Jerry
I am not an expert on the original battery setup as I bought mine without battery or temp boards so did the Lithium conversion at the beginning of my ownership. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chip in. That has been years ago so I forget the details. I think I ran the bike with the existing stock firmware and no temp boards with a temporary battery pack just to see if I liked it. I seem to remember that if the temp boards are faulty the charger will shut off after a short time. If the previous owner had a P-can adapter they might have changed the firmware, could have The Laird's firmware . I think his firmware would work without temp boards. As far as how to use the P-can adapter you will have to search the forum for instructions. Generally speaking this is what I remember. The adapter plugs onto the SubD connector in the glove box with a cable. You will need to download the Vectrix Diagnostic software from this site or from the " Vectrix Parts" website. Download the Dugas free firmware from Dugas Engineering site. Then use the Diagnostic to install the Dugas Firmware and the Dugas configurator to enter battery particulars like cell number and voltage and such. All the information is on the site but you will have to do alot of searching to find and understand it all. Not a simple straightforward prosses!!. I think the only disable is the kickstand and of course the red kill switch. You could use the Diagnostic to at least check to see what firmware is installed. I am assuming you are using the proper "handshake" when trying to start the bike. Turn on the key, kick stand up, kill switch in the run position, hold in left brake, then pull right brake and you should get the GO. The kick stand switch is either open or shorted so that shouldn't be very hard to figure out. I think there is a manual and shop manual somewhere on this site, maybe in the Handbooks section. My understanding is that the controller needs at least 100v to operate and I have gotten the stock charger to charge to 160v. Oh, yes I used 3-12 cell Volt modules.
Good luck!

freedomev

Thanks a lot Scooterguy, that really helped.
Great news is something I did , I have no clue what, and now it's turning the rear wheel!!! YEAH!!!
So now the fun begins fixing 2 flats, getting the old batteries out, making up a 6kwh Volt module though hoping I can use the stock module with just trimming the case, hose barbs. and half of the other one.
If anyone knows about how to make it work without the temp modules please let me know.
I would have never guessed to look in the glove compartment for the canbus inlet. Though that was where I found the adaptor to my happy $250 savings surprise. I'll keep going through the archive to see if anyone else has directions, find the service manual..
I'll be going to USF Engineering class soon so hopefully someone there knows how to work canbus. The VX1 will be great to commute to school on.
I'd like to open a thread on lowering aero, rolling drag, best tires, etc as 100wthr/mile is rather high when an EV Karman Ghia gets that. How does one open a new thread? I'd like to see it under 70wthr/mile for a 30% range increase looks doable.
And should be able without altering anything permanent as I think these will be collectable in a few yrs as the best early EV MC. If one is planning on that be sure to keep the NiMH battery and any original parts.
Thanks again, you've been a huge help scooterguy to get this great MC back on the road..

Gerald Dycus

Kevin_in_VA

Jerry,

Search this message board for information about Team Laird's custom firmware that allows you to use the stock NiMH batteries and disables the temp sensors (no need to remove them from the scooter). If you convert to Chevy Volt battery packs, you'll need to use the Dugas Engineering firmware. Remember, any custom firmware is used at your own risk, so do a lot of reading before you get in too deep.

You will find a ton of additional files and information on Vectrix's support page.

If you're interested in aero-modding your Vectrix, be sure to look at Ben Nelson's website and Vectrix project information. He also created a number of YouTube videos about his aero-modded Vectrix for an event called Loop the Lake a number of years ago.

If you want to be able to create new posts yourself, try reaching out the forum webmaster David.

freedomev

Today was good as now the only thing stopping me from a short ride at least is a flat rear tire I'm having a hard time popping the bead onto the rim as old stiff rubber. Though old stiff rubber has lower rolling drag.
As far as I can tell likely the charger stopped working likely from a temp sensor and the owner never got it fixed, maybe because he got sick. I fixed some other things like plugging the temp sensor in I wasn't told about and a bad kickstand switch.
With those it fired up and at least rear off the ground runs great after charging 30 hrs at 1.25-2.5amps peaking it seems at about 135vdc with my 120vac to bridge rectifier to 300wt of lightbulbs in series with alligator clips. While running it the voltage seems to be holding up very well now vs before it dropped fast. I'll keep charging on and off and once the tire is fixed cycle the pack and see what kind of range it has on the NiMH pack.
Not that I'll keep it, just to make sure everything works before putting in 6kwh of Volt modules that 7 yrs old and 2.5 yrs of no BMS, charging abuse are still perfectly balanced to my big surprise.
Thanks for the links as gave me more details on things I need to know.
On Ben's aero I'm doing something similar with an aero camper on my S-10 EV, putting an an aero box behind to clean the aero. Much of my work has been in aero and hydro vehicle, wind, tidal generator design.
But the Vectrix doesn't need that. It's natural lines extended with clear plastic a little more around, past the legs and get the air flowing very slightly inward from straight aft will hide the whole lower MC inside the virtual self fairing air cone it makes. Beats the hell out of building an actual cone and less drag too in side winds and you almost always have side winds!
I'm debating keeping the aft body as could have a lot more storage, even more battery low on each side. I'll keep it for now. All my changes are reversible, just store the old parts.
Above that a larger windshield with the top, sides going much more aft to clean up the drag. Again this is easy just following the front body lines with nothing more than a flat sheet of plastic/Lexan preferably bent over the body and trimmed to shape does the same for the top.
You can sit about 6" lower by making a new battery cover and have a nice flat space between your legs to carry things securely. I don't have much choice as my legs won't reach and will cramp up if I try so not just lower for aero but whether I can ride or not. I'm doing exercises to strengthen them. Those who sit higher can just extend the windshield higher though more frontal area.
I'll try to keep the software stock just as it is if I can. Though if I switch looks like Dugas mostly to get the stock charger going at the right 148vdc max charge voltage.
As for charging I have a 2.4kw charger I can use until the onboard charger issues are solved then about 3.8kw of charging!!
And today I split a 4kwh Volt module for the 2kwh section needed with another 4kwh to make the 6kwh battery, both I have.
Thanks for your help Kevin.
Jerry

Gerald Dycus

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage