Free wheel hub/sprocket that works with #25 Chain?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
billremnant
billremnant's picture
Free wheel hub/sprocket that works with #25 Chain?

*I have an e-scooter and I would normally post a question like this in the scooter section, but I thought there may be more people in this particular part of the forums who deal with sprockets and chains.*

I want to put a free wheel sprocket on my e-scooter so the resistance of the engine doesn't impact the scooter's ability to coast without power. Currently the engine puts a significant amount of resistance on the drive wheel and it slows you right down after cutting out the throttle.

So I have a 12 tooth sprocket off the engine and a 5.75" diameter sprocket off the drive wheel and a #25 pitch chain connecting the two.
I had hoped that I could find a free wheel sprocket to replace the tiny 12 tooth spocket (1 inch in diameter) but that would probably wear out too fast, so I guess I'm left to find a solution for the larger sprocket.

Anyone have a good source for custom free wheel hubs? I'm open to any and all types of solutions to make this work and I can post a 3d model of what the setup currently looks like to this topic if needed.

Thank you for your input :)

spinningmagnets
Re: Free wheel hub/sprocket that works with #25 Chain?

I was researching options for making a "Peltzer" E-bike. If someone started making a kit with a "left-side large diameter freewheel sprocket" that is easily attachable to a stock wheel there would be more innovation in this area.

If someone puts together a kit, make the freewheel part of a common interface "spider", so the outer edge (with the gear teeth) can be easily changed to get different ratios, like the front sprocket of an 18-speed bike.

I might even attach a TNC freewheel ($10) to the disc on a rear disc brake wheel which is used in a rear "V" brake frame.

Here's something I'm playing with:

I got the thick aluminum disc for $1 from the bottom of a skillet purchased at the thrift store. Attach the center first, then hold up a felt marker as you spin it to locate the outer edge mounting holes.

sprocketcloseup_1.jpg

racermike39
racermike39's picture
Re: Free wheel hub/sprocket

Try www.tncscooters.com
once into the website, click on electric scooter parts. A free wheeling sprocket and mount and hubs are available for some pretty reasonable prices.

Spinningmagnets: That is very clever! nice work!

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage