xm3k: moved the dc>dc converter, took off horn, replaced side plastic, other misc mods.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rydnseek
rydnseek's picture
xm3k: moved the dc>dc converter, took off horn, replaced side plastic, other misc mods.

I just got it all back together. I took all the plastic off.. trying to figure out how to get at the horn. Here's what it looks like naked:

xm3khorn70808e.jpg

When i finally got everything off, i tested the horn button. It was good. I took the horn off & put 12v to it. It squeaked a bit & got hot, but no noise. I fiddled with the screws on the back, but still nothing. I guess xtreme will send me a new one.
xm3khorn70810.jpg

The wiring wasn't too bad.. it was tied down pretty well, & looked like it was sized right. The plastics are pretty simple, & i think it will be more streamlined with it on.. there isn't much weight to it.

I didn't care for where the dc>dc converter was, so i moved it next to the controller. It gets more air, & gives me the floorboard nook for smuggling or other storage.

xm3k70803e.jpg
Here's where it was.

xm3k70806e.jpg
new location.

The new plastic for the shipping damage came last week, along with a new charger. Both seem to work ok. I plan on using the factory charger when riding, for topping up the batts when i go to work. It draws very little power, & a thin extension cord might help for those more distant outlets.

Now i have to get my wife to get used to riding it.. she was the one who wanted a 'big' scooter. She will drive it to work when she's comfortable on it (middle of next century, sometime).

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: xm3k: moved the dc>dc converter, took off horn, replaced sid

Hey rydnseek,

You beat me in the "skinniest" XM-3000 picture. I had all the front body work and floor pan off and the rear off - but not at the same time!

I'm thinking of replacing the seat with a bicycle seat on a pole and riding around with all the bodywork off like that. That should make it more obvious that it's electric! ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

rydnseek
rydnseek's picture
Re: xm3k: moved the dc>dc converter, took off horn, replaced sid

I thought briefly of leaving all the plastics off.. maybe making a shield for the batts.. but the combined weight of everything is just a few pounds. They probably give more back in aerodynamics.

But once we convert to li-on in a few years, maybe some further streamlining would be in order!

Of course, you guys with the 3500's will already have that, with a faster, more road worthy machine. This one is fine for a low speed electric, though. I tried mine out in high speed, but haven't run it any distance. Most of my riding will be 10mi or less.. mostly under 5. I probably should do some longer runs every so often so the batteries get a good workout!

scotty, Sedona, Az
xm-3000 60v, 38ah silicones, since 7/08
quazar 48v, 12x12ah, since '05
5- vector 2/6/10 bank chargers

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot