Range when 0/17 bars?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morrison
Range when 0/17 bars?

I received some info from a Vectrix rider about the range when the battery is showing 0 bars. The person reported getting 10 miles at 25 mph even after it was down to 0 est range and 0/17 bars.

I have never ridden my Vectrix to the point where it doesn't move at all. During my deep discharge cycles, I typically stop at 0/17 and right away when it says 0 miles est range. I always have been able to ride into the garage with power still flowing.

What is the real truth on range? Will the Vectrix still move at a slow speed (25 mph / 40 kmh) for a few more miles? How far?

I am not referring to the issue that Mik described about the phantom bars or virtual amps. I am asking about a normally performing Vectrix and the true range.

Is there a reserve beyond what the meter and est range are showing? Is this designed to encourage you to recharge before really being stuck?

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture
Re: Range when 0/17 bars?

I ran mine completely dry the first day, and am now reluctant to do it again because I got stranded at the bottom of a hill. My experience was that when I hit 0 est range and 0/17 bars I had only about a mile before I got the red battery malfunction telltale, "buSVLt" message, and power dropped dramatically. There was no way I was going to get up the hill, but it's quite possible that I might have continued for another mile or so on flat terrain at low speed. Going another 10 miles seems unlikely.

Another thing I noticed is that the battery recovers a little juice after being given a minute to rest. It's not much, but maybe enough to get you a few hundred yards on a flat road and that beats pushing it by hand.

Mik
Mik's picture

It all depends on if your Vectrix is working as it should, or not!

From what I remember reading from you, yours is fine.

But depending on circumstances you can ride a real long way with 0km ESt RANGE and 0 /17th bars left:
Below are links to an example:

So tomorrow morning I'll take off to work with 5km range, 2/17 in the battery - and I'll make it there and back, 40km! They could turn that into an ad....

The battery ćharge indicator was showing 0/17th and the EST Range "0" for almost the entire trip to work (20km). Otherwise the performance of the Vectux was FLAWLESS!!!

This photo shows how confused the Vectrix electronics can be...
(Taken after the fuse was replaced into the Vectux with almost full battery).

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

moccasin
moccasin's picture

I'm thinking we should build some sort of cheap "Vectrix Treadmill" for those deep discharge battery conditioning sessions! HAHA!!

I live half a mile and 250 feet (in elevation) above the highway, at the TOP of our hill, which is 450 feet above our town. That's a LONG way to push a 500lb bike uphill! HAHA!! ;-)

Morrison

I live half a mile and 250 feet (in elevation) above the highway, at the TOP of our hill, which is 450 feet above our town. That's a LONG way to push a 500lb bike uphill! HAHA!! ;-)

I am in a similar situation. I have about a 500 ft climb to arrive at home. So I always need to have enough reserve to get up that hill.
Yesterday I was coming home and I misjudged my battery range. I got off my highway exit and was already at 1 est mile range and 0/17 bars. I got the red battery light and my top speed was 25 mph. I knew I would never be able to climb the final hill.

Luckily there is a new Park & Ride (bus system) garage right at my exit off of the highway. They have plenty of outlets to recharge at. There is even one near motorcycle parking. So a quick 15 minutes of free electricity was enough to get me 2/17 and get up the hill.

This experience was useful for helping me understand the limitations when the battery gets really low.
However, I have still not yet had the experience of going 100% to zero where the Vectrix will not move at all. So I don't know the true range.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Just adding my thoughts on the battery.

Yesterday I used my Vectrix to do my usual commute home from work and it was quite windy and a bit rainy so I knew I'd be using a bit more charge than usual to keep the speed up. I also made a small diversion to a local hardware store and knew I'd be pushing the range limit a bit. I made it home with 1 bar left and showing est. 2 miles remaining. Given the problems that some people have reported I'd say my battery was very accurate as I didn't see any warning lights and didn't notice a reduction in power. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I almost always let the bike fully charge until it switches itself off rather than unplugging in when 17/17 bars are showing?

I've done over 1500 miles now too - for almost no cost!

undead

Mine is very accurate as well since I have done a couple of deep discharge cycles, was running it down yesterday and it gave me about half amile at a crawl when it hit zero.

Hands0n

Today, new 10.7 software, first journey home on residual charge of 15/17 bars. I got to 0 Est. and zero bars about 4 miles from home - the Vectrix made it all the way back although it was in "limp" mode for at least the final half mile!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage