In hindsight, it may have been a bad idea

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
zerogas
zerogas's picture
Re: In hindsight, it may have been a bad idea

You are going to have to trace each wire and see what it goes to, then follow the schematics as to what it should be connected to. It's alot of work, but not impossible. Man, I wish you had replaced one plug at a time ;) LOL Keep at it and you'll figure it out.
-Warren

P.S. Just a thought. Do you know anyone relatively close to you that has an xb 600? If so, you could compare yours with theirs to figure out your wiring. By the way, some of those red and black wires have multiple connections.... I'm sure there's three reds that go together at one point and possibly the same with the black ones. Look closer at the wiring diagram. Looks like there is a black wire to the controller, a black wire to the charging socket, and a black wire to the battery pack all wired together. I know you said you had a black wire left over so check these.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

sixpax2k9

Well I traced the red and black wires in the white sheath directly to the key switch. Do you know where these wires plug into?

Thanks again.

Unless I am reading the wiring diagram incorrectly and understanding u correctly....

The red and black wires coming from the key switch should go to the orange and blue wires of the controller. And at some point the red wire should pass through the 10A bus fuse.
the other black wire should be connected to the black ground of the battery pack, and the 1 thin red wire from the 30A fuse goes to the + side of the charging plug.

FYI... again unless I am reading the wiring diagram incorrectly(and also color blind looking in person) the ONLY black wire that is NOT connected to the common ground of the whole electrical system or a black wire from the controller is the 1 from the key switch that goes to the blue wire from the controller.

IE
Controller .... blue -- Black ...... Key switch
............. Orange -- Red

I doubt you will be trying this tonight, so I will double check the wires tonight and verify this...

Dave

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

sixpax2k9

Please dis-regard previous post.....

OK Electrogo... you owe me BIG TIME!!!!!!
I pretty much just took apart my bike to get you this info so....................

OK, there are 4 white sheath sets from the front to the rear...

1 goes to the very rear... for the brake lights etc.. no need to worry about those...

1 goes to the seat area... It has 7 smaller wires...
these are the 3 pin connectors for the brakes and throttle as stated above, as well as the single white wire.

2 of the sheaths contain only 1 red and 1 black wires.

This gets tricky so try to read carefully (not sure why they wired it like this but I didnt design it!!!)

The red and black coming from the key ignition....
once they reach to under the seat...
the red and black wires go to a 2pin white connector
however..... the BLACK wire is spliced into and a RED wire comes out of it and goes to a RED 2 pin connector

OK the White 2pin connector.....
Red - Orange - controller
black - blue - controller

the RED 2pin connector.....

the RED wire that is spliced into the ignition black wire - goes to a red wire to the 10A fuse that then in turn goes back into the other sheathed set going back to the dash.

the Other wire into the RED 2pin connector comes from the Black(-) battery connection - then goes to the BLACK wire in the 2nd white sheath set.

I will TRY to show this in a pic I will quickly make and post here....

wires.jpg

I think this should be pretty straight forward. And with the other info from above.. That i will now quote... you should have ALL of your wiring perfect!!!! No excuses now!!!!!

OK, here is the run down on all the wiring from the controller. I hope you still have the connectors on the new one, otherwise it might be hard to tell the wires apart...

controller

to motor....
3 single thick wires..
Green - Green
Blue - Blue
Yellow - Yellow

6 pin connector....
Blue-Green
Green-Green ^^ these 2 green wires look exactly alike.. cant help u there.
Yellow-Yellow
Black-Black
pin 5 not used.
Red-Red

Controller to front of bike...
3 pin connector. should be for brakes.
Brown-Grey
Blue-Blue
Black-Yellow

1 thick white-white, shows for speedometer.

3 pin connector... for throttler
Green-Green
Black-Black
Red-Red

I expect a post tomorrow saying that you wired everything up and it works great!!!!!

If in the future you plan to add a 5th battery and or do the "shunt" mod....
I suggest to do this...... cut the thick red wire from the battery pack that goes into the 30A fuse BEFORE the fuse.... take this red wire to your 5th battery's (-) terminal, then run a Wire from the (+) battery terminal back the to 30A fuse...

Done like this you can then use a 60V charger on the original plug with no modifications

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

electrogo

Would you happen to have a picture of the wires? I did what you said, but I am still left with one black wire. Sorry to be so dense, but I'm struggling with this.

Thanks again.

clinton

sixpax2k9

where does it go to????

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

electrogo

I finally got this sucker running!! I don't have power to the accessories however. That was the initial problem before all this other crap happened. The 2nd DC-DC converter didn't help the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Anyway, thanks for everybody's help especially you Sixpax. You really went above and far beyond. I will look for a way to return the favor!

clinton

sixpax2k9

The FIRST thing to do is to check the 10A bus fuse!!!!!!

Unless I am mistaken, this post I made is the power to the dc-dc converter.
The RED wire that loops back to the front of the bike from the Black lead from the key switch should be the dc-dc positive lead. The black one should be spliced into the main (-)Black battery wire.

The wiring diagram shows 3 wires into dc-dc converter though.... I will have to check into this to see what it is...

If you have it wired like this and it still isnt working there might be a mis-wiring in the front of the bike

wires.jpg

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

electrogo

I'm back on the road! I had a 5amp fuse instead of a 10amp installed.

Thanks again

clinton

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage