Help!!! got the new Crystilyte Controller - What to do???

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arno J. Wulfert
Help!!! got the new Crystilyte Controller - What to do???

Hey Dogman and All who can help,

Just got the new Crystilyte controller today. I've got the WE BL36 front brushless motor/wheel. The brushless WE motor has Blue, green and yellow wires coming out of it that plugged into the controller I think burned up... My new crystilyle 24V-72V-20Amp does not show any colors on the wiring that hooks to the motor!!! If I cut back the outer cover on the wiring to see what's inside I will lose the opportunity to return the controller if my motor is bad... There are three Anderson connectors coming from the controller going to three connectors (blue, green, yellow) going to the motor but I don't know which are which... Will I blow something If I don't hook the 3 connectors from the controller in the right order to the motor???

What's your thoughts...

Thanks,
Matt (ajw)

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Help!!! got the new Crystilyte Controller - What to ...

Ebikes-ca may be able to tell you the color code. I'll ask on the sphere, maybe sombody knows the colors there. Do the andersons on the controller have color code at all?

Just got back from the endless sphere, in the technical reference area there is a thread about this.

Apparently you could blow something with the wrong combo. I have to read again to figure out whether this applies to pedal first, or just ones with phase wires or what. It looks like you need some expensive equipment, or a low amp fuse between the battery and controller. They are saying 2 or 3 amp fuse so get a fuse holder and a few of those at a car parts store. The fuse will keep the controller from blowing if you get a bad combo. If I get more info from the sphere, I'll tell you where to look for it.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

dogman
dogman's picture

Looks like your wires will be green blue and yellow on the controller, but you may have to strip some cover back to see em unless ebikes-ca can tell you how the go. I had never read any boo hoo posts of people blowing a controller trying combos till now, just ones where they tried different ones and found one that worked. Don't fret, I'm sure we can get this sorted out. Maybe a pic of your old controller, and where the wires go would help. I'll go looking for one of mine.inside_the_controller.jpg

Ok maybe that pic doesn't help. Maybe you could send one to ebikes-ca that shows the locatons where the phase wires go better, that would help them know what the order of the wires is.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Thanks Dogman,

You are always so much help... I'll call ebikes.ca today and worst comes to worst, I'll strip back the wire, keep the controller and get a new motor if I have to.... I'll advise what I find out... Thanks in advance if you find out any additional info....

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

If we get totally stumped, I can get some info by taking apart my motor, and seeing where each color wire goes. Once you know what color is the one to the middle of the order, the combos will simplify. All the stuff I find about blowing up something refer to hall sensors, that we don't have. On the phase wires, I find things about motors that run too slow and such, but I think if we get the middle wire right, the only possibilites are turns the right direction and turns in reverse. I'm sure we can get this done without smoking a controller. Chances are, the middle wire on both motors is the middle one on the plug.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Thanks Dogman,

The motor has the three colors (blue, yellow and green) clearly visible. Just the controller with the outer wrapping is totally black. I'll be on the phone to ebikes this afternoon. The picture of the controller on their site shows the connector facing up. I'm going to ask if they can tell me (looking at their picture which color is which. This controller is really made well at the connection with the protective cover. Should really help out with any water issues.... I'll advise what I find out. Also reading through the info on the controller is sounds like they don't have a problem with trial and error hook up. So it probably won't fry anything. But it would be nice to get it right the first time....

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

All the stuff about random testing seemed to talk about blowing halls that I found. I don't think you need to buy a motor. But of course two ebikes is an option, I have three now.

Be the pack leader.

dogman
dogman's picture

I'm being told by fetcher to go ahead and try different combinations of phase wires to find the one that works.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Hey Dogman,

Happy days are here again... almost...

Called ebikes.ca. The guy couldn't tell me much other than the green wire was in the middle. I ended up pulling back the shrink wrap without damaging it and made my way to the wires. Looking at the Anderson motor plug pictured with the controller the colors left to rign are blue - green - yellow....

I set up a test lab in my sun room. brought in the bike from the garage and turned it upside down. hooked up thottle, wheel and Ping to the controller. turned it on. spun the wheel (pedal first) and hit "the gas". we have spin.... YaY!!!!

The biggest thing that may be an issue = at slower speed the motor sounds louder than the stock setup... At full throttle its quiet...

Now, I'm in the house, with the bike upside down running the test (no real weight from me on the bike and moving... and unfortunitly I'm a heavy guy... 6'2" at 240 lbs. Maybe on the street in real condidtions it won't be that loud.... Next action is to hook up everything and get it on the road... I think I'm going to "jury rig" the controller to the bike temporarily (wrap the controller in cardboard and duct tape it in postion to avoid any possible scratches. Ebikes will take it back within a week if I don't scratch it... If everything is good after a test ride, I'm cutting off the anderson connectors and go with the other type plugs (less bulky and less connections)... So, test ride is next... Same speed as before, same distance and quiet will be good... keeping my fingers crossed...

Again, you are a great guy being so helpful....

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

Start a new thread, and say wich colors worked with which, once you have ridden some and are sure its good. I'll post the info on my question thread on the sphere too. A lot of us will be doing this, I think.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Will do... I do plan on cutting the new connectors off and going with the Wilderness connectors. Right now for the test I have double connectors to avoid damage to the controller. The wire connections are the same (blue to blue, yellow to yellow and green to green)

I'll be back with all this in a new thread follow-up...

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

Holy cow, how'd that happen?

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Its all good. I just didn't want to cut the motor wires yet. picture the stock WE connection in at the motor. Above the motor conncetion I cut the stock wires and added Anderon connectors to hook to the controller. My stock WE did not have Andersons, so I had to splice them in to connect to the controller.

I'm back from my test run and moving to a new thread to discuss success...

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

This thread has been continued here.

Chas S.

Topic locked

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage