DIY Fuse Replacement Kit

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
undead
DIY Fuse Replacement Kit

On the basis that most dealerships are quite far away from their customers, and the likelyhood of a fuse failure (not high but has happened to me once, and no doubt could happen again) - what about the idea of a DIY fuse replacement kit for those who can do a little bit of servicing?

It would save money on transportation costs and engineers time.

Judging on the fact it would be an inrush current limiter, a fuse, and some instructions - would this ever be a feasible idea?

Interesting to hear the comments from engineers / mik / people who have seen or done this themselves.

Its a shame its such a crippling failure for a simple fix, it suprises me that some system could not be designed for user replaceable fuse systems at the outset.

Finally, my fuse failure - is it likely I had a dud to begin with, or could it have been that someone connected the battery at the factory without connecting an inrush current limiter first?

Steve Scott
Re: DIY Fuse Replacement Kit

Hi Undead

the fuse change proccedure is not that straight forward but by no means difficult.
It involves removing the rear battery to gain access to the motor controller.
You would need an inrush limiter to reconnect the batteries or you would risk damaging the new fuse.
The latest versions now have a 200ah fuse fitted instead of a 125ah and this is what we have been fitting if we do get a failure.
These have been giving good results.
I think that with a bit of a re-work the fuse could be more accessable for ease of servicing and possible faliure.
As to your fuse blowing I cant comment but I would think that an inrush limiter would have been used as I know the tecnicians in the factory are very thorough when carrying out the connection proceedure.
p.s there is also torque settings on the fuse and battery connetions when carrying out this proceedure .
if these are not adhered to yo may get arcing and overheating of the connections.
This operation should only be carried out by trained or competent technition.

Steve Scott

marcopolo

I think that with a bit of a re-work the fuse could be more accessable for ease of servicing and possible faliure.
I know the tecnicians in the factory are very thorough when carrying out the connection proceedure.

This operation should only be carried out by trained or competent technition.

Um, Steve, just a couple of questions.
1)In which factory are the "technicians" so thorough?
2)Shouldn't this work be carried out as part of a warranty claim?
3)That is are you, still honouring VUK's warranties? Could you please post a list of spares parts that you have available? It would be really appreciated if you could post a list (with prices) that can be purchased from VUK, so that Vectrix owners outside the UK can also obtain parts?

marcopolo

Steve Scott

Hi Marcopolo

The factory is in Poland and when ever I have dealt with those technicians they are extreemly aware of the importance of using the Inrush limiter.
Of course human error cannot be discounted.
Have you got any other technical questions as i would like to stick with only answering those rather than a debate about the future of any warranty .
This is because i do not know what liabilities will be taken on by any new owner of vectrix.
As for parts we will advise on prices and availability as the when the customer asks.
Yes i suppose this should be part of a warranty claim but as undead appears to have no dealer or VAP near him he has asked for advice from anyone who can give it.
I have also put that this proceedure should only be carried out by trained personel.

I dont know you ID Marcopolo and you may have a good reason for hiding it but i have no axe to grind with anyone on here or any Vectrix riders, customers or dealers ,I am just trying to keep these bikes running and giving some kind of service until we are sure what is happening.

Email me or better still call me at the office and we can talk more openly on what is happening but it seems you are way ahead of me with the corporate info .

Steve Scott

Mik
Mik's picture

The latest versions now have a 200ah fuse fitted instead of a 125ah and this is what we have been fitting if we do get a failure.

Thanks for that!

I have replaced the fuse in the Vectux with a 150A fuse but kept that to myself so far. I did not want any insurance people kicking up a stink about it. The 150A fuse is holding up well, including several dozens of ICL reconnection tests. I figured that 125A are just as deadly as 150A, so from that point of view there is no increased risk with a bigger fuse. The risk from just stalling in traffic with a blown fuse is much worse!

Regarding the reworking: I know of people who have left the metal cover off the MC board so that the fuse is more accessible. I do not like this approach myself. I don't know if a torque wrench can be used with the battery still in place. I was also concerned that maybe the metal cover has another function, like EMF shielding.

What do you think of the following improvement idea (to be done by trained competent people of course): Whenever removal is needed for some reason, cut out the bottom part of the metal cover of the MC controller board underneath the three cables (A,B.C) going to the motor. That would in my opinion leave the cover fully functional, but make removal and re-attachment of the motor phase cables unnecessary (the next time the cover needs to be removed). I believe that a whole lot of frying MC boards could have been prevented with such a modification.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

undead

Hi Steve, thanks for clarifying that.

I personally wouldnt like to play with 125v dc electrics myself, but its an interesting thought if some kind of clip in fuse of some nature could be installed, and idiot proofed so its a user consumable item in future models.

Cheers!

Undead

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Hi Steve, thanks for clarifying that.

I personally wouldnt like to play with 125v dc electrics myself, but its an interesting thought if some kind of clip in fuse of some nature could be installed, and idiot proofed so its a user consumable item in future models.

Cheers!

Undead

Would have been REALLY nice if they had used an auto-reset circuit breaker instead of a sadrificial fuse that owners can't fix. :-(

My biggest concern now is that if I do blow a fuse, my battery will have self died before I can get the parts, tools and knowledge to fix it myself, leaving me with a really nice Vectrix and no way to bring it back to life.

With no dealers anywhere near me, no warranty service, and no parts avialable, I figure if I blow a fuse, it will be time to part out the bike. :-(

R
R's picture

"The latest versions now have a 200ah fuse fitted instead of a 125ah and this is what we have been fitting if we do get a failure".

Good to know this problem is solved!
My question, really BIG question (as my vectrix is now dead and is being inspected: may need a fuse replacement), the spanish warranty should upgrade my dead 125Ah fuse to 200Ah, or I'll have to get my fuse replaced every year? ( by the way, this is the second one that melts in my motorbike!!)
Wotnopetrol

I dont know you ID Marcopolo and you may have a good reason for hiding it but i have no axe to grind with anyone on here or any Vectrix riders, customers or dealers ,I am just trying to keep these bikes running and giving some kind of service until we are sure what is happening.

Email me or better still call me at the office and we can talk more openly on what is happening but it seems you are way ahead of me with the corporate info .

HI Steve,

Thanks for posting here and please don't be put off by any abrasive, aggressive or sarcastic comments which you may feel are being directed at you. I know I speak for almost everyone here when I say I look forward to any information/insights and support you can offer us in these uncertain times.

Simon

Wotnopetrol

Steve, could you tell me from what date these 200ah fuses were fitted to failed 125ah fuse equipped bikes please? Mine was replaced at 2000 miles you see and as I'm approaching 4000 miles now, I am developing a certain paranoia. LOL.

Simon

Steve Scott

Hiya Wotnopetrol

Thanks for the comments and here in VUK being british we are fighting to the last man.
Anyway sticks and stones and all that.
I see you were wondering if you Had a 200Ah fuse in your bike . Call me in the office on monday or mail me and i will check once i have your bike details.

Steve Scott

Mik
Mik's picture

Hiya Wotnopetrol

Thanks for the comments and here in VUK being british we are fighting to the last man.
Anyway sticks and stones and all that.
I see you were wondering if you Had a 200Ah fuse in your bike . Call me in the office on monday or mail me and i will check once i have your bike details.

I recall someone mentioned that a 200A Bussman fuse was used, not the original Littelfuse. Is that correct? Does it matter which brand one uses? I might put one on the shelf for later on!

Steve Scott

Hi Mik

As I am still a VUK employee i can only recommend OE . we are still using littlefuse. But is guesse if your bike is out of warranty its the same as the decision on an ICE Bosch or NGK Main dealer or fred in the shed.
I have seen some interesting threads on the possible use of a circuit breakers .

Steve Scott

Mik
Mik's picture

Hi Mik

As I am still a VUK employee i can only recommend OE . we are still using littlefuse. But is guesse if your bike is out of warranty its the same as the decision on an ICE Bosch or NGK Main dealer or fred in the shed.
I have seen some interesting threads on the possible use of a circuit breakers .

I found the post: It was Chad Magendanz from the USA.
Here is the link: http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/6620#comment-40391

He wrote:

They replaced mine with a Cooper Bussmann FWX-200A high-speed fuse, which is rated at 200 amps. You can order them from Grainger Industrial Supply (part #4XF01) for $61.45 USD.

Which post about circuit breakers do you mean? I can only remember people suggesting it, but not anyone with some good knowledge and arguments why that would be safe and suitable. I think (and that is founded in thorough ignorance of the subject!) that circuit breakers are too slow for the purpose.

But what kind of fault could a fast acting ("semiconductor") fuse actually prevent? Can it actually save the MC board under some circumstances and allow a cheap repair plus fuse replacement when otherwise there would have been an irreparable MC or motor damage???

Or is it only to prevent the battery from shorting and melting through a damaged MC board or motor? In that case, a circuit breaker might do, because the battery can produce high currents for a few seconds.

So the big question is really this: What is the function of this troublesome fuse? What is it supposed to do?

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Steve Scott, thankyou for all your help. Its good to have your advise around.
RaDy

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage