How and where do you support the Vectrix for removal of rear wheel without a center stand?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
HarryS
How and where do you support the Vectrix for removal of rear wheel without a center stand?

I need to take my rear wheel of for a new tyre. Can anyone give me advise as to how and where to jack the bike up without doing any damage. Unfortunately, most of us don't have a center stand. I have been looking high and low and have not been able to get one. The dealer where i bought my bike told me that he can't get one.
Thanks

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: How and where do you support the Vectrix for removal of ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

This works for either wheel.

This page is now part of the Vectrix Collaborative Handbook, please stay on topic!

You can find the Handbook at: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6737-vectrix-collaborative-handbook

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

siai47

Another option would be to lay the scooter over on its side. I have been doing this since I needed to drain and refill the gearbox. Just put a thick pad (I used an old mattress) aginst the left side of the bike, right up to the tires, then lay the scooter down. It is then easy to remove the panels, shock and swingarm to remove the tire. One person can lay the scooter down and pick it back up.

marylandbob

Brake calipers should NOT be allowed to hang from their hose! (In the photo, the front caliper is shown hanging from the hose, with a sharp bend (KINK) developing in the hose as a result.) This type of sloppy service can lead to premature failure of the brakeline, and failure of the brakes. (One reason that I only use shops that allow me to observe and/or assist).--Bob

Robert M. Curry

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture

serious bob? seems excessively fussy to me

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

When my rear tyre was changed, they removed the grey plastic trims on the bottom and used 2 trolley jacks (1 either side) with a small block of wood to raise it up off the ground. It worked a treat, but I want to track down a centre stand.

HarryS

I like the idea of just laying the Vectrix on its side. Are there any concerns regarding the gearbox oil spilling out? I kind of remember that there is a vent hole somewhere. May be anyone who had it open (Mik) can weigh in?
I have been trying high and low to get the center stand and had no luck.

marylandbob

To "Procrastination, inc" Yes, I am serious about my concern that brake calipers should NOT be allowed to hang by the brake hoses when removed for service! This can damage the inside of the hose, causing problems at a later time. Practically ALL factory service manuals caution AGAINST doing this! yes, many service shops take this "short cut", leaving the vehicle owner to PAY LATER when failure occurs. I service my own brakes on my over 100,000 mile, 1994 Honda Goldwing motorcycle, and as the book says, I use a support for my calipers when servicing them, so that 16 years later, my brake lines are in good condition. (I will probably replace them prior to the coming summer, as a precaution, because of their age.)Often, allowing a caliper to hang as shown will not result in immediate failure, although it could!Such actions save the shop time, but can cost the customer much MORE, at a later date.-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Okay, I know this might seems a bit redneck...but cinder blocks do nicely.

Rear Wheel Removal

Just cut a 3ft section of 2x6 and place it under the floor of the bike. With the side stand down, you can use a car jack under the 2x6 to lift each end of the bike and slide the cinder blocks under for support. You don't even need to remove the kick panels, since the board fits between them. Total cost for cinder blocks and board was < $3USD.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage