Need Help Shunting Controller for Luyuan/ Giobike

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kapasa
Need Help Shunting Controller for Luyuan/ Giobike

Hi,

So recently I decided to try to shunt the controller of my Giobike so I could get some extra power. I went out and bought all the tools and stuff necessary to do the job based on this site http://www.giobikes.com/Blogs/electric-scooters/E-Scooter-Controller-Directions/ and http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3990-xb600-quotshunt-modquot-instructions.

I know the V post isn't my bike but I was pretty certain the Giobike web page was my bike which is a 500w Luyuan and they don't seem to have many kinds on their site. From what I can tell my bike is the LEV series based on the amps,volts and watts and the design but the documentation that came with the bike never actually said which it was and now I've lost it.

After following the instructions on the gio site I was able to remove the front shroud after much frustration. When it did come off it was really a fluke as a shook the cover in anger and it fell off. I then looked inside only to find that there was no controller there, that really irked me. After that I realized I was going to have to find it on my own and eventually I did at the very back underneath the seat.

Once I removed the controller I began to open it but again the instructions from the gio site didn't apply and now I'm stuck. The controller is totally different than anything I can see on here and I think it maxes out at 17amps and my ampmeter on the bike goes to 20 amps. So at this point I'm not even sure if I can get any more power out of this bike. My major problem is that I can't get the circuit board out of the housing to do a shunt. I've pulled and pried and I think I even broke a small piece of metal off but so far I can't get the board to budge. I really need some help with this, can I shunt this and if so is it even worth it?

I took some high res pics, sorry the full bike pic is out of focus.

//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190004.jpg)
//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190005.jpg)
//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190010.jpg)
//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190020.jpg)
//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190013.jpg)
//i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/electronics0etc0/P2190001.jpg)

marylandbob
Re: Need Help Shunting Controller for Luyuan/ Giobike

From your photos, it looks like the board would be pushed out the other end to remove it. (the end with the wiring plate) Along the left side, the power FETs are held against the case (heatsink) by the wavy/springy metal strip, which may have to be (carefully) removed before pushing the board out. You must be sure not to damage the clamping spring, as failure to restore clamping action between the transistors and the case will cause them to overheat and quickly fail! Also, be advised that sometimes, there are some very thin, heat-conductive insulating strips used between the flat sides of the transistors and the case- if used, these must be preserved and properly replaced to avoid short circuiits. The greasy, messy stuff is heat conducting grease, and it too must be replaced/conserved/restored.-No, it is not a job advised for an unskilled beginner, unless you are willing to chance having to buy replacement parts!-Be careful, and good luck!-Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

Kapasa

Thanks for the help. Okay so I have to remove the metal clamp thing running along the mosfets? Do I just pull it out with some pliers? I've pulled on that metal strip as hard as I could and the pliers always slip off before it budges. As you can see from one of the pics I've already partially pried some of the clamp off the inner ridge but I believe its still making good contact further down which I assume is putting pressure on the mosfets which is preventing me from removing the board. How do I remove this mosfet clamp? I tried to slide something between the mosfets and the case and I couldn't even slide anything in the slightest so this clamp must be putting tremendous pressure on the mosfets and circuit board in order to keep it in place. I really want to do this, I know I'm a beginner but I've been tinkering with electronics for some time and I've already spent 80$ on the supplies. Pulling on the wires gets me nowhere and even if it did I'm pretty sure the wires would tear off the board before the board would budge.

So I guess what I need to know is how to get that metal clamp out safely. Does anyone have experience with this type of controller?

I have silicone lubricant and sealant so I'm sure I can safely reassemble the controller.

Does anyone think I can get more power out of this controller with a shunt or is it a waste of time. The controller is 42v/48v , 17a, and the motor is 500w.

Thanks in advance!

marylandbob

You failed to provide complete photos, --no views of the other end, with the wires, no views of the sides-are there any screws or rivets on the sides, between the cooling fins? Are there screws/rivets on the other end? If so these may require removal, before you can push the board assembly out. It will probably PUSH out, towards the wiring end, therefore, you may have been trying to make it go the wrong way! (Some of these assemblies go together/come apart easily in only one way, forcing them the other way usually causes problems!)--Good luck, be careful!-Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

Reid250

Have you read this thread;

http://gioebike.dailyforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=195

The guy has modified several controllers for $40 each.

The shunt is on the opostite end of the board you have supplied the picture of. It looks like an upside down "U" shaped piece of wire about the thickness of a strong coat hanger.

Kapasa

Okay there were 4 screws holding each cover plate on and I removed them. The plate with the wires running through it is loose but I cannot pull the board out on the wired end. I haven't been trying to pull it out through the open end where I was able to remove the plate to expose the inside. I have only tried to remove the the metal clamps with pliers and try to pull the board out by the wires. There are no rivets or other screws holding it together, the case is one solid piece. It might be possible to remove the rest of the silicone sealant around the wires and pull the plate across the wires. AS far as I can see there are no other screws holding the board in place, maybe its glued?

I thought these controllers were a pretty standard deal. How do I remove this board? Do you need more pictures?

Thanks for the link, I just might go ahead and buy a pre-shunted controller or send him mine.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage