LionEV - www.LionEV.com

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MCHuntley
LionEV - www.LionEV.com

:)
I spotted this one a couple of days ago, on a EV mailing list. This looks interesting, and the price looks nice.
Check it out, and lets see what you think!

G III
G III's picture
Re: LionEV - www.LionEV.com

`
Thanks.

G III
"Justifiably Proud"

`

G III
"Justifiably Proud"

andrew
andrew's picture

The price is very low considering what they are offering. I don't think they are legit. I'd need to do a lot more research though, this is just purely skepticism.

---
Avatar taken from http://www.electricmotorbike.org/
Anyone got one they want to sell?
My KZ750 Project: here

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

MCHuntley

Believe me, I understand the skepticism.
I think a lot of it depends on the cost of the Batteries. And I am also interested in what the cost is for a 400 mile pack vs a 100 mile pack.
The cost of the Ford Ranger EV is low too, considering it comes with a 200 mile pack.

Love to see the size of the packs, and I love the note about crush-ability of the pack.

At least they are worth watching.

Thanks,
Matt

DanCar

I don't think they are legit either. Details are sparse. Where is the about us page? They are going to ask for your money and then disappear.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I prefer to think of them as having a bad website rather than being scam artists. :) They say they won't take your money until later. However, of course, I wouldn't give them any money until I knew a LOT more details.

As for the price - I'd be amazed if the entry level one has Lithium Ion batteries - but they might - here's my guesstimates on a price breakdown:

Hyundai Accent Dealer Invoice = $10k
A good AC Motor, controller and components = $10K for retail, say $5K for their price (check out www.electroauto.com or www.metricmind.com for some prices)
Installation materials = $1K
Installation Labor = $2K ($50 an hour * 40 hours)

So we're up to $18K before batteries (oh yeah and profit!) - that leaves $10K.

Assuming an AC motor can cruise at around 325 watt hours per mile (see http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1271 for comparison) then they'll need 100 * 325 watt hours to 400 * 325 watt hours of batteries to support their range claims (that's 32.5kWh to 130kWh). That's a lot of batteries!!!

Hmmm - it's definitely a company to watch - hope they publish more info soon.

John H.
Blue XM-2000
Ann Arbor, MI

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MCHuntley

Well, LionEV's web site has changed, and it says that some of their cars will be at the Energy Expo in Fletcher, NC on August 24. anyone on this board near Fletcher NC?

CGameProgrammer

This can't be legitimate. Check out their Shows page -- they explain in MSPaint that all that's needed for a lithium-ion pack is to make sure it stays cool with lots of radiators. Apparently that's all that's needed, no BMS or anything! These guys sure are smart.

The price alone gives away the fact that it's B.S. -- you simply can't sell a lithium-ion powered car for that price. Not yet.

drivin98

It seems the Ampmobile folks (Mike and Paula Moore)were at the Southern Energy & Environment Expo.
www.seeexpo.com . At least they are listed as exhibitors. But anyway they are only listed on the LionEv website as people who will convert your current car. I don't think they are the same people as LionEv though it's clear thy have some sort of association. LionEv definitely has a better website. They also have pictures of constructed battery packs. I don't know if they are or aren't legit and those vehicle prices do seem low considering what they are charging for their battery packs. It is possible that they they are making some of that new vehicle cost back by selling the motor and other unneeded parts.
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage