ERider 8000W scooter - Australia (similar to xm5000li)

992 posts / 0 new
Last post
ratos
ratos's picture
Re: ERider 8000W scooter - Australia (similar to xm5000li)

Finally the new hub has arrived

Hub QS

I installed the motor and correctly connected all the wires and although I have no doubt that the motor is correct, I receive an error from the controller and it does not work. I explain the problem:
When I move a bit the throttle, the engine spins at full speed for a couple of seconds and stops. The controller error LED blinks three times and that's all :(
I suppose I need to set new parameters in the controller but I do not know which ones.

eRider Thunder 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 40AH battery

ratos
ratos's picture

I'm quite sure it needs to be an IXXAT and unfortunately they are quite expensive.. You don't need any other adapter just connect the IXXAT to the Can-high (Pin 13 or 16) and Can-low (Pin 24 or 27) on the Sevcon. They might already be connected to the PDT electronics in some way.

Where can I locate and identify the PDT electronics inside?

72v 40AH battery

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture
I'm quite sure it needs to be an IXXAT and unfortunately they are quite expensive.. You don't need any other adapter just connect the IXXAT to the Can-high (Pin 13 or 16) and Can-low (Pin 24 or 27) on the Sevcon. They might already be connected to the PDT electronics in some way.

Where can I locate and identify the PDT electronics inside?

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the PDT stuff..
Are you sure you have all the connections right with the motor-controller?
If it's a different manufacturer of the new motor the wires could be connected to different phases and/or hall sensors even if the colours match, there is no standard for this.
There are 36 different combinations and only 1 is right, one or more can cause the motor to act like yours and the controller doesn't get the right readings and cuts out. Other combinations can make the motor go in reverse and others the motor to stutter or lock up..

ratos
ratos's picture

Are you sure you have all the connections right with the motor-controller?
If it's a different manufacturer of the new motor the wires could be connected to different phases and/or hall sensors even if the colours match, there is no standard for this.
There are 36 different combinations and only 1 is right, one or more can cause the motor to act like yours and the controller doesn't get the right readings and cuts out. Other combinations can make the motor go in reverse and others the motor to stutter or lock up..

Yes, in this case the colors match. Anyway I will try new combinations and see what happens. I hope not to damage the controller...
motor wires.jpg

72v 40AH battery

capitan3

hello what about your chinese motorcycles? aun las tienes? funcionan? encontré en alibaba una empresa efun que creo las fabrica, es buena inversion? si son durables? la autonomia que ofrecen si es real? mi pais colombia tiene mucha montaña, funciona bien el freno regenerativo? te agradezco me aconsejes un poco. gracias.
ahhh esta es la que quiero comprar: https://efun-ev.en.alibaba.com/product/867524794-215969130/9000W_T_max_electric_version.html?spm=a2700.8304367.prewdfa4cf.38.6d1...

ratos
ratos's picture

You were finally right Johnny; The colors did not match.
Based on your good advice, I have tried one by one the 36 combinations (twice) and I have verified that there are three of them that are correct. This result seems logical because depending on the name A, B or C assigned to the motor wires, I will find a combination for the HAL sensors. However the engine has little power and makes a strange noise when the throttle is released and the regenerative brake works.
I think it may be necessary to modify some parameters in the controller. I can not think of anything else.

72v 40AH battery

LeftieBiker

As I understand it, it's a bit like timing in an ICE engine, in that you can have combinations that are close, but are too "advanced" or "retarded" in Hall sensor "timing" for the motor to run properly. Did you try all three working combinations to see if one was ok? You probably did, but in case you skipped testing one...

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

Good! Mine also has a strange noise when releasing the throttle and the controller cuts the power if I apply power too quickly.
Haven't tried to tweak the parameters yet since it works fine if I'm accelerating slowly, will try to change the "Sine Wave Angle" some day..

ratos
ratos's picture

As I understand it, it's a bit like timing in an ICE engine, in that you can have combinations that are close, but are too "advanced" or "retarded" in Hall sensor "timing" for the motor to run properly. Did you try all three working combinations to see if one was ok? You probably did, but in case you skipped testing one...

In this case I have tried the three combinations with the same result.
I think you're right, it looks like there's a little gap with the HAL sensors.

72v 40AH battery

ratos
ratos's picture

Good! Mine also has a strange noise when releasing the throttle and the controller cuts the power if I apply power too quickly.
Haven't tried to tweak the parameters yet since it works fine if I'm accelerating slowly, will try to change the "Sine Wave Angle" some day..

In my case besides the strange noise, the engine has much less power than the old engine.
In this video you can see a test where the noise is appreciated.
test
Is it the same as your motor?

72v 40AH battery

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

No, that's not the same noise at all, mine is more of a "whining" noise..
Have you asked the motor manufacturer if they have a Sevcon file for your motor?

ratos
ratos's picture

No, that's not the same noise at all, mine is more of a "whining" noise..
Have you asked the motor manufacturer if they have a Sevcon file for your motor?

They tell me from "QS-motor", they are not familiar with the sevcon controller setup. However, I just asked them again if it would be possible to get a setup file for this engine. I hope they can help me in some way

72v 40AH battery

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Here is a video that the original thread starter made for me which shows the normal whine that a properly setup Sevcon Gen whatever makes when driving an 8kW Quan Shun knock-off from former erider on the main stand. The only strange thing here is the regenning at max rpm:
ERider PDT 8000w motor

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

ratos
ratos's picture

Here is a video that the original thread starter made for me which shows the normal whine that a properly setup Sevcon Gen whatever makes when driving an 8kW Quan Shun knock-off from former erider on the main stand. The only strange thing here is the regenning at max rpm:
ERider PDT 8000w motor

Besides the noise, my engine does not push like the one above.
I can not edit the previous post to modify the video link to see it without downloading it (around 20 mb) so I put it here: Sevcon QS motor test

72v 40AH battery

MEroller
MEroller's picture

As Johnny wrote you most likely have a Hall switch-timing issue. No easy fix as you would have to invest into a programmer and or Sevcon software and the very steep learning curve. Have you ever scoured the endless sphere forum for such phenomena?

My rides:

ratos
ratos's picture

As Johnny wrote you most likely have a Hall switch-timing issue. No easy fix as you would have to invest into a programmer and or Sevcon software and the very steep learning curve. Have you ever scoured the endless sphere forum for such phenomena?

I agree with you and Johnny about the problem.
I just started to gather information in the forum that you has recommended me so I thank you for your advice. I found interesting information there although I keep reading.
As for the software, that problem I have solved and I am looking for an inexpensive USB2CAN IXXAT driver. After I have all this, I'm sure more questions will come up.

72v 40AH battery

MEroller
MEroller's picture

As for the software, that problem I have solved and I am looking for an inexpensive USB2CAN IXXAT driver. After I have all this, I'm sure more questions will come up.

Only the expensive USB2CAN converters tend to work with controllers :-(

My rides:

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

ERider PDT 8000w motor

Ha, that's my video :)

I'm interested in seeing how you go with the new motor because I too have that new motor and a tiny amount of throttle made mine go to 100% power and stay there! I have a sevcon adapater and I can plug into my scooter and I have all the software but have no idea what I'm doing in there.

Update on my scooter. It's now got over 30,000km now and nothing has gone wrong at all. It's winter here again and I still see it dip to 69v on the cold days but I can still accelerate fast enough for me. I had a headlight blow, a new front tire needed replacing, the speedo/ODO cable snapped and the buttons on my power meter no longer work. That's about it. I still ride it every, single, day to work and back. I'm just keeping my stock as I don't want to stuff anything up. I ran out of charge the other week. It went dead after 42.1Ah. So in the SIX YEARS I've owned it, my lithium batteries have lost 16% capacity. But it still serves me fine.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Nice to hear from the originator of this thread again, and nice to hear your PDT erider is still riding fine, despite some age-related issues :-)

My rides:

Phildiann Healey
Phildiann Healey's picture

My erider recently caught on fire when the controller failed and the bike has significant demage. I have salvaged the 10 Nissan Leaf batteries which appear fine. I have a charger for these battteries and Zeva BMS (Except for main control unit which was burnt: available from Zeva for $135). Total cost was $2600 for this. If anyone interested in buying these let me know. I would accept $1200. I have recently bought a low Km Zero DS 2014 to compesate for my loss!.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Oh my golly! Are you sure it was the failed controller that caught fire, or did it short out the battery terminals and the main power wires started to smoke? You are probably in Australia, so your potential buyer should probably be local? I'm in Germnany, with a gracefully aging Winston/TS 24 cell 40Ah pack in my Thunder (without the -bolt)...

My rides:

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Just an update After 8 years of ownership. I have now moved house and now live further away from work (12km each way). Scooter is still going fine. I had a headlight blow last week so I have to buy a new bulb. I went a bit far yesterday and ran flat (BMS shutdown) on my way home and had to push it 800m back home :). I got a total of 42.1Km out of the battery and the battery went flat at the 35Ah mark so I have now lost 30% battery capacity after 8 years of daily use. I'm ok with that but I'd love to have more range so I'm thinking of upgrading to 18650 cells. But that's a pipe dream project :)

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

antiscab

There are better batteries available than welding 18650's together

There's likely to be a battery order for NMC large format cells some time this year to replace a number of iMiev and Leaf batteries. back of the envelope calculation suggests you could fit 100Ah in your present battery box.

Batteries have moved on heaps in the past couple of years

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

LeftieBiker

I wonder what Leaf cells or modules will be available to order? Anyway, just a heads-up on Leaf cells: aside from the now-old pre-April 2013 cells using the old, fast degrading chemistry, there are also issues with the 2016-2017 30kwh packs. Quite a few bad cells have turned up, especially in the early build packs, and there is also a capacity loss issue that Nissan *claims* was just a BMS programming error, but which is turning out, at least in appearances, to be a genuine rapid capacity loss issue, especially in hotter climates. So be careful when using both older Leaf cells and 2016-2017 30kwh Leaf cells...

ratos
ratos's picture

Greetings to all!
I'm glad to know that this thread is still alive updating our scooters to keep them running ;)
The batteries replacement is something that we keep in mind but in my case, I have not decided the technology as it evolves continuously.
Is it a good idea to replace the 3.2V LiFePO4 Prismatic Cells with new, higher capacity ones? Or change to a new format with 18650 cells?
Are there really commercial graphene batteries?

Regards,
ratos

72v 40AH battery

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Just an update:
18/9/2019: It's a sad day. I was riding into work today cruising along at 80kph when I lost power all of a sudden. Pulled over and the bike boots up ok by getting the green light, but as soon as I start to give it gentle throttle, the error LED starts to dim and the bike might move 1cm but then the motor cuts out and the LED blinks 11 times. I looked up this flash code and it's saying "Store Error". I think that's something to do with the flashed firmware settings?
I have had to get the poor scooter taken home on a tow truck :( I'll keep you posted with what the problem was.
Broken scooter.jpg

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

Have you ridden the bike more or less daily for 8 years? :-)

MEroller
MEroller's picture

How unfortunate! Yes, please keep us updated if you can ever find a solution to your problem without the help of erider Australia...

My rides:

Coops

Hi all i have been reading the post's and there is a lot of good information, I have a green lightning bolt without batteries, controller, charger etc but the bike is in great condition. I also purchased a silver thunderbolt that was in bits but everything was there, i have the chl batteries and they all measure approx 3.2volts, There is a baleaf passive bms which i have worked out most of the connection, 0 to negative on cell one and the 1 - 24 on each positive terminal of each cell. There are 3 black wires that come from the bms with round terminals, i would imagine 1 goes to the negative on the battery and the other two which have continuity go to the frame? I am just trying to get this together and working and see what state everything is in before moving forward.
As far as the tc charger is concerned i know positive would go to cell 24 positive but the neg does not reach cell one, would this go to the frame. I have schematic but it is different. Any help appreciated.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Hi everyone.

Sorry for not getting back to you all. It turns out the main battery negative lug wore out. It was just really worn out. I cut it off and crimped on a new lug. 10 minutes. Yes. Even to today (7 July 2021) I still ride this scooter EVERY….. SINGLE….. DAY. It’s been an absolute joy to ride. I’m past 10 years and this was the only time it stopped working on me.
My Speedo stopped working today but the Speedo cable has snapped. Looks like it needs a cable from a GY6 which is only $15 from AliExpress.
I had a COLD ride into work yesterday (-4c) and battery dropped to 69 volts. But by the time I got to 80kmh it was back up to 73v. I went to the shops after work on my way home and still managed 31km (28Ah) and had 77v at rest. I’m not sure what my battery capacity is at. But the bike still performs like the day I got it. I love it so much, I just wish it was faster and could go longer.

72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging