Vectrix Owners - New & Prospective

272 posts / 0 new
Last post
AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Vectrix Owners - New & Prospective

I don't know why it would be illegal. I do it also sometimes, but from a balcony. Noone complained yet.

Hermes

It's Health and Safety regulations...
I could sneakely do it at night and to be honest as long as noone complains it'd be ok, but if someone Does complain I'm stuffed.

Mik
Mik's picture

It's Health and Safety regulations...
I could sneakely do it at night and to be honest as long as noone complains it'd be ok, but if someone Does complain I'm stuffed.

And complain they will, because of the noise levels! (Unless it is a very noisy street).

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Hermes

so I'm back to square one.
The council are installing Charging points just outside my work but it'll take another two months before they're up, if I wait until then the 2007 models will be gone and i don't have the extra £1000 or so for the 2008 model.
I guess I could just buy it and keep it parked......

I don't know what to do. It is a big investment for me.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

I don't know what to do. It is a big investment for me.

Interesting. Is it also illegal to light up an outside Christmas tree, or any outside yard lighting where you live?

I can understand some legal liability conserns for public housing or even apartment complexes, whereby someone could trip or be subject to electrocution of a dangling outside cord, but I would think that if you could setup a more permanent outside charge box with buried wiring, that should meet most building codes, just as if it were an outside pole light.

Hermes

"Interesting. Is it also illegal to light up an outside Christmas tree, or any outside yard lighting where you live?"

If you live in a block of flat with a comunal garden (like me) the answer is yes.

A more permanent "situation" done by a certified electrician I guess can be arranged, although at a cost I simply cannot afford.

However I'm trying to find out whether the local Council would give me a grant for it (but I'm not too hopeful).

In any case I've a few option. Some central London carparks offer Free Parking/Charging for a nominal fee. I'll investigate that tomorrow.

I think despite everything my mind is set on buying it.

H

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Mik, where exactly are the two battery fans located?

I ask because when I listened to the wind blowing below the front seat, I could hear it blow and fan(s) turning at both sides of the seat. Here's a picture:
//shrani.si/f/o/95/2oC0xqV7/vectrixzev.jpg)

I was listening on the both sides where the arrow points and I could hear the air flowing inside and a fan or fans turning.

Hermes

I've placed my order with RG Uk, in a few weeks I should be the proud owner of a Vectrix

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Congratulations!

tom5007

Congratulations Hermes. In case you run into an issue with charging your bike through the window you could still use the juice points in London. Have a look at their network on Elektromotive.co.uk

Hermes

Congratulations Hermes. In case you run into an issue with charging your bike through the window you could still use the juice points in London. Have a look at their network on Elektromotive.co.uk

Hi, thanks. Apparently one needs to be either resident or working in the borough. I live in Enfield and work in Lambeth(No charging points at present), so in theory "no juice" for me. They're going to install 1 new spot just outside my work but doesn't sound like it's going to be ready before February (I'm told by officials). however I spoke to Elektromotive today and asked if they were that strict with their rule.... They'll let me know....
For anyone in London: worth knowing that on street charging by Elektromotive is a scheme and costs £75 a year, unlimited charging but one needs to move the bike (or car) after 3 hours max. Good enough for me.
Master car parks also offer a scheme but they charge £200 a year. Also need to move the vehicle off the charging bay after 4 hours max, but can just keep it parked inside for free after that time.
Finally in order to use charging points one needs a magnetic card and wire provided by a scheme supplier. Oh and the plug stays locked until one releases it with the same key. So noone can come in, unplug your bike and plug their own while you're not there.

See, I've been doing my research!

;-)

Hermes

PS
For anyone intending to buy soon:
Most UK dealers have stopped selling the 2007 model, so new UK price (for 2008) is about £6100 plus reg plus delivery. RG are still selling at £5285 inclusive of delivery and registration but not for very much longer.

H

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Good news everyone!

I've just finished a phone conversation with a Vectrix representative (he called me) and a tech. engineer will be dispatched to inspect the bike on Monday or Tuesday afternoon to diagnose and repair my battery problem.

/thumbs up

This IS a customer service :-)

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Health & Safety? There is nothing in those regulations that specifically outlaw what you are attempting to do - si I think your electrician is trying to cover his back in case it does! After all, it IS only a mains extension lead, and these are perfectly legal. As you are simply going down the wall to your desired location immediately below (not a public street/pavement, or suspended over a pavement to reach a vehicle on the public road), I don't see anything to prevent you doing what you require.

- Raymond

Hermes

I do hope you're right.

You've no idea of the negativity I'm coming across at the mo. The Council does not want to know, the housing association that owns the building doesn't want to know, except they want a project to approve or reject if I decide to have a permanent extension down the wall etc... i didn't even mention to them the dangling extension lead..... i do have two flat below me and there's a two metre wide turf from the building wall to my parking space.

My usual insurer want £350 for TPFT and £500 for Compr, and that's with a 6 year no claim bonus. My last insurance (with them) was £160 TPFT for a 200cc petrol bike.

I'm going to ring Electricscooter ins, they'd better be cheaper or I shall start crying now.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I had exactly the same position in the building you're in before I was granted to use the garage plug.

I had to lower the extension cord down the balcony (I have the widest balcony, so no problem there by dangling), two flats below me and one shop. The Vectrix parking space was another 4 meters away from the building. I had to use 20m extension cord, but it's the highest quality one, that can handle 10A 230V. At 7.5A, there was no problem.

In my case, noone complained. I say, just go for it. If anyone asks, say it's ecological and act stupid ;-)

Buzby
Buzby's picture

How about making friends with the tenant on the ground floor...? :) Because you don't own, you lose quite a lot of the flexibility you would otherwise have - also if your metered supply is only to the flat, then you're kinda tied to getting that juice down to where you need it. Even if you could source a lower power feed, it'll need to be metered and this in itself is expensive - and you need that like a hole in the head!

Come at it from the point ov view of how does someone with a motability scooter, and ask the housing association how they dealt with the issue in a similar situation.

Your insurance is going to be high, not simply because of your location, but that it is not going to help that the bike won't be garaged. I'd be nervous at leaving a Vectrix on display in the same location for the familiarity of coming round and lifting it. Certainly, the Crusader insurance policy from WHA is the cheapest I've found as they're pleased at the lack of claims (so far!) :)

- Raymond

Hermes

Ok
The enemy are not the occupants of the two flats below me. I actually own my flat like everyone else in the block at some "share". The housing association IS the freeholder.
The woman I spoke to today, the one about the "project" that can be accepted or rejected... she's this newly appointed officer that quickly marked her territory by having notices about removal things on comunial grounds or else... like 1 pushchair and 1 plant in the landing that were against contractual regulations. Now, I perfectly understand how some estates deteriorate into chaos, but we're talking about a private estate that lodges pretty well-to-do-ish people that are actually tidy and no trouble at all.
The said woman is obviously one who's looking for "trouble" to deal with in order to explain her capacity (and her salary ?). She's my concern...
I'm still waiting to hear from the charging point company about being able to use juice points in Westminster whilst the ones in Lambeth are waiting to be installed.
Meanwhile I'm working on a letter to my local MP Joan Ryan, to let her know how her party/government so called "green issues" are being swept under the carpet in her own costituency by the council and everyone within it.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Don't ya just hate it when somebody gets a new badge! :-(

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I still think she'll be hard pressed to find a pre-existing condition that excludes what you want to do. I can see issues if you leave the lead dangling 24x7 (especially the pain to switch off, got down to unplug, return to rewind etc etc). Fortunately, the approaching dark evenings will be a blessing as it'll be invisible to almost everyone until late February!

- Raymond

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I just came back from a pure joyride :D

My and my gf are planing to go to the airport tomorrow with the Vectrix, which is 20km away, to have some coffee and to watch airplanes land and take-off. We've ridden the Vectrix before and it rides beautifully and comfortably. It accelerates like a wind.

raytheham
raytheham's picture

Well guys, I've just had my first annual Vectrix service.

As an early adopter, (over a year now) I was expecting a few problems. Luckily they have been non-existant really. Mileage-to date is nearly 4000. During the service, Mike from vectrix uk near eastleigh, reset the throttle parameters, upgraded the software, and checked everything over. He noted the front forks were a bit spongy so put them down for exchange. He came back this week and changed the forks, took him about an hour and a half, mainly dismantling the headlamp etc to gain access. As I also have a top box he recommended upping the preset on the rear shocks as he had noted on his own Vectrix a big difference......you bet! The handling on the bike has now been totally transformed such that is a totally different and much better ride.

This may also be due to the new front forks as well of course. Total cost of the first service.....zilch!!

Apparently this was decided early this year for all customers. The only difference I can detect with the new software is there is now a time delay on starting the re-charge cycle depending on battery temperature and the time that the indicators run before they beep to remind you has been roughly doubled.

Also there is a new windscreen being trialled, tinted, about 10cm, 4 inches taller at the moment. It is still the same width though. The charging docking station seen earlier is a prototype only and no pricing has been set although Mike had seen it working and production should start Q1 2009.

Further to a comment earlier about Vectrix sales. In the UK they are up to over 1600, Australia 600+ and climbing rapidly, over 3000 in the USA and also climbing... Sale figures in Europe, outside the UK were not available but based on the registrations from dealers were also in excess of 3000 but un-verified.

Now all I need is to get Oxford City council to allow me to put a charging point outside my works office and we'll be well away!

I can just get 40 miles over a slightly hilly route there and back riding at 40 - 55mph, occasional bursts to 60ish overtaking, when I am sure there is enough battery left to get me home. I am 6 foot, 110 kg, fully kitted out so that probably accounts for the range.
Regards all
Ray

Ray

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Cheers Ray - a mine of information, and most useful! I'm unconvinced that the charging station will be anything other than a novelty. That said, I wish they'd bring in the centre stand.....

- Raymond

raytheham
raytheham's picture

But I've had a centre stand from new!! It is available for £70.00. They sent me one and I fitted it myself!!. Get in touch with Vectrix UK at Eastleigh and ask them to send you one. They are easy to fit and much better than the side stand.
Regards
Ray

Ray

Hermes

Hello again

And again this is relevant for London UK

Elektromotive who run the scheme where on street chargin is available ARE flexible. On the on line info it says one needs to be either a resident or working within the borough but they will accept your membership throughout as long as your vehicle meets the criteria. In our case it does!

The cost is £75 per annum if paid by cheque or £77.50p if paid by debit/credit card

Info and application forms here:

http://www.elektromotive.com/html/index.php

Happy charging

Buzby
Buzby's picture

As far as I'm aware, none of the 2008 registered models were supplied with a stand. I specified I wanted one at the time of ordering, but the bike arrive without. I was told it (the stand) was undergoing 'certification' and it would be August, then October before it could be supplied to users. I offered to fit it myself, and note what you say, however isn;t there some sort of interlock with the electrics so that the GO cannot be initiated when wither the side or centre stand is down?

I had a call from Vectrix UK at the end of last month saying supplies would be 'imminent'....

- Raymond

moccasin
moccasin's picture

however isn;t there some sort of interlock with the electrics so that the GO cannot be initiated when wither the side or centre stand is down?

There is a connector directly in front of the left rear shock absorber that the switch from the center stand plugs into.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

1000km done. I'm very satisfied with my Vectrix.

Looks like tomorrow is the last sunny day of the fall here, so I'll make it count.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Mine rolled over 1000 MILES yesterday! It has been an extremely pleasant and FUN three months!

By January, I'll be doing more days in the truck than on the bike, so I'm milking it for all it's worth at the moment. :-)

Jean-Pierre

Hi there

I am a Vectrix owner in Antibes, France, since end of July 2008. I have already run this scooter for 1400 km (sorry this bloody frog just use kilometers ;)
Enjoy it although the contact with the Vectrix team is not what it should be...

Typically I ride it every day for 16 kms, so usually I can do my work week on a single charge (and anyway I can plug in at my work place). From time to time I have to do 60 kms in a single day. My suggestion for Vectrix will be to offer various charging modes. I have solar cells in my home with batteries that are used to provide electricity for tv sets, computers and so on. But charging the Vectrix on batteries just drains the battery too quickly as the capacity of the batteries is highly dependent on the output current. But I will not mind letting the Vectrix charge all nigth at a lower pace (something like 200/300 W instead of the current 1600W). Hence having a switch allowing slow/fast charge will be quite convenient. Furthermore when I do my 60kms trips I usually let the Vectrix in a car park for one/two days and I may use some pliable solar cells to feed some juice in the batteries while I am away: having a 50W solar cells system will allow to get 300Wh in the battery i.e. should add about 3 or 4 kilometers. Hence having also a 12V input for the batteries will also be nice.
Enjoy!

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage