I've had an XB-600 for almost a year now and have been modifying it since I got it. However I never really went searching for relevant forums until now, so I'm new to everything here.
Photo from November 07
The first problem I had with it was that the fuse for the 12Volt system kept blowing out really easily whenever the scooter drove in even a light drizzle.
And the fuse in question was shoved up into the middle of the front wheel well and had to be changed blind with one hand. I moved the fused up into the center console area to make it easier to replace.
I later traced the short to the exposed connectors in the rear wheel well. So I bundled them together and sealed them into a modified rubbermaid container.
Not wanting to be mistaken for a normal scooter again and being unhappy with the location of the fuse I end up removing all of the cosmetic body panels. I relocated the charger receptacle and motor controller to the seat bucket, replaced the stock headlights with a single headlight on a custom bracket, trimmed the rear mud guard, and cut down the back of the front column. Couldn't get rid of it completely because it also acts as a mud guard.
I also relocated the horn, fuse, and all of the excess wiring from the front column into the dash clamshell, which was surprisingly empty. While doing this I found a single gray wire that connects to the speedometer. When connected it limits your top speed to 20mph in order to comply with the Federal law. When disconnected your top speed can reach up to 26mph on a slight downgrade.
It could be wired to a switch, but I just leave it disconnected. :D
Photo from March 08
In September after several months of commuting back-and-forth the underside of the seat bucket broke open and the seat was no longer firmly attached to the frame. I went about replacing the seat bucket by making a bolt-on frame extension out of scrap aluminum found at work. Then secured and enclosed the controller, cabling, and charger receptacle using 1/8" polycarbonate sheets.
Photo from September 08
This past week I've been tearing apart the dash with the intent to replace all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, but I'm thinking that I'll probable just ditch the original speedometer and voltmeter since I will be upgrading to a 60V system as well as installing a bike computer and a red segment LED voltmeter.
In preparation for that I started cleaning up some of the wiring and labeling all of the connectors.
Just yesterday I finished replacing the brake light with a custom LED array.
I cut a sheet of polyethylene sheet to fit the reflector area for the old bulb, then drill holes in a spacing pattern. I then soldered one resistor onto each positive LED leg and each negative leg to a common ground for each mode set.
The result is just as bright as the original bulb, albeit slightly more directional in focus.
The array of 32 red 3mm ultrabright LEDs consumes 9.6 / 3 watts instead of the original 21 / 5 watts.
As can also be seen in the above photos, I used an angle grinder to shave off the steel tabs on the frame that were used to secure the body panels.
I would like to replace the turn signals with LEDs as well, but I will have to replace the stock relay first.